Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will you wait for the second model year to purchase your 86? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50)

#87 10-17-2009 10:59 PM

Will you wait for the second model year to purchase your 86?

Do you trust Toyota/Subaru enough to purchase the car on release, or will you wait for the second model year to see any potential issues with the cars?

Discuss.

Kenji 10-18-2009 12:39 AM

Always potential for first year model issues but I got faith in Toyota's quality (and warranty). They got 2 years to test and work out the kinks anyways and I'm sure any first year issue would be minor fixes or recalls and covered under warranty. I'd be willing to deal with that to be the first on the block with the car. Plus, I don't think I could stand just watching the other guys here take delivery and post pics of their cars. :D

I'm in for the first year!

Agam 10-18-2009 02:02 AM

if i were to pick this car up, i'd probably wait till the 3rd model year of this car.. why? i realized 1st year models do have kinks, the 2nd year has some kinks that are ironed out as well, but by the 3rd year we'll at least have an idea how this car holds up with some miles on it.

86Fan 10-18-2009 03:48 AM

I might wait until the 1st year model ends to see if there is any thing different for the 2nd year. 2nd year might be a bit cheaper to get too.

Jordo! 10-18-2009 06:15 AM

Unless there's a reason to wait for a specific option/variant promised to come in the second year, yep, first year.

scape 10-18-2009 10:41 AM

probably the end of the first model year if I can swing it, that or the beginning of the 3rd (if there are no major changes) and try and buy a 2nd year model from a dealership to save some money

dante 10-18-2009 11:49 AM

Bought the '05 tC in October of '04, ~4mo after it had been released. Only issues were:

1) They had a TSB for a shattering sunroof, but wasn't really a big deal.
2) Some had a "rattle" that I never had.

Otherwise it's been a solid car for the past 80,000 miles.

FormulaJDM 10-18-2009 01:12 PM

This isn't the 1970's any more. I bought my 1991 MR2 the first year and it was a great car until I sold it in 1998. I'd buy the first year without a thought.

JDMinc 10-18-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FormulaJDM (Post 675)
This isn't the 1970's any more. I bought my 1991 MR2 the first year and it was a great car until I sold it in 1998. I'd buy the first year without a thought.

Same here. Plus that's what warranties are for. There's always going to be a newer model, better options, etc. Can't stand on the sidelines forever waiting for someting better.

MTD 10-18-2009 02:46 PM

I work in a Toyota plant and I see first hand how changes are made on an ongoing basis to always build and improve on the high quality standards that Toyota is known for. Quality is of very, very high importance when the cars are being assembled. Sure problems will occur and defects do happen, but Toyota does its best to correct them.

We we first starting building the "new" model Corolla and Matrix they lines ran very, very slowly to ensure that there were very few issues with the new cars. When there were, it was usually a design or engineering issue and not a build quality one.

Im guessing that even if Subaru is going to build the FT86 that Toyota will make sure it is done correctly and to their standards.

Agam 10-18-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 686)
I work in a Toyota plant and I see first hand how changes are made on an ongoing basis to always build and improve on the high quality standards that Toyota is known for. Quality is of very, very high importance when the cars are being assembled. Sure problems will occur and defects do happen, but Toyota does its best to correct them.

We we first starting building the "new" model Corolla and Matrix they lines ran very, very slowly to ensure that there were very few issues with the new cars. When there were, it was usually a design or engineering issue and not a build quality one.

Im guessing that even if Subaru is going to build the FT86 that Toyota will make sure it is done correctly and to their standards.

if subaru makes it, it will be done correctly. don't forget, subaru builds camry's for toyota in west lafayette, Indiana (in a subaru plant) ;)

mrmixitup 10-18-2009 04:06 PM

Toyota isn't exactly Mazda (RX-7) or Nissan (Spec-V, 350Z). I'd risk buying the car in the first year.

OldSkoolToys 10-18-2009 05:01 PM

1st year, 1st month, 1st week, 1st day it hits showroom floors.

I have a close friend who works at a Toyota dealership, gonna see if I can't get him to get one ordered to the place per my specs, so I can buy it first day. =P

MTD 10-18-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agam (Post 693)
if subaru makes it, it will be done correctly. don't forget, subaru builds camry's for toyota in west lafayette, Indiana (in a subaru plant) ;)

Then the plant must produce top quality vehicles if Toyota chose to build the Camry there.