Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Differences between Rear Lower Control Arms (SPC vs SPL, etc.) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133416)

rawbeanz 03-12-2019 06:19 PM

Differences between Rear Lower Control Arms (SPC vs SPL, etc.)

Hello very sorry if this has been asked before. Not sure why we can't search for words with 3 letters in the search considering half the aftermarket brands are only 3 letters abbreviated.

Anyways, I'm considering buying a set of coilovers and I'm assuming with a bit of a drop, I'll need new LCAs to adjust camber in the rear.

Is there a difference between the LCAs out there? Will the SPL LCA work just as well as the SPL LCA?

Thank you!

Leonardo 03-12-2019 06:31 PM

Have you looked at pics of each brand LCA? They are both functional. One is "aftermarket" looking (nice!) and the other is OEM (stock) looking.

IIRC, the SPL has more adjustment then the SPC.

Yes, LCA are needed to dial in rear camber after lowering. I would suggest a bump steer kit too. like this... http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130715

If the coils you are getting have tophats with camber adjustment in the front; cool. If not, you will want camber bolts at a minimum, possibly camber plates.

Pro Tip: Use google to search. Type in what you are looking for and then add "ft86club". It makes finding things easier.

CounterSpace Garage 03-12-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawbeanz (Post 3194988)
Hello very sorry if this has been asked before. Not sure why we can't search for words with 3 letters in the search considering half the aftermarket brands are only 3 letters abbreviated.

Anyways, I'm considering buying a set of coilovers and I'm assuming with a bit of a drop, I'll need new LCAs to adjust camber in the rear.

Is there a difference between the LCAs out there? Will the SPL LCA work just as well as the SPL LCA?

Thank you!

What is your intended goal? On the budget, SPC. Legit setup with quite a bit of adjustable range, SPL. We sell both and suggest accordingly based on application. Heavy users slip the SPC out in this region, but the rest of the nation seem to have a different experience.

rawbeanz 03-12-2019 08:27 PM

I go to maybe 3-8 track days a year, but I'm not sure whether I want to go with a budget single adjustable(Tien flex a, hks hypermax, ohlins r&t) or something in the double adjustable range(jrz or act) for the coils.

I honestly don't really care about looks but Im just wondering if the SPLs are really necessary with the additional adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x808drifter 03-12-2019 08:51 PM

How sticky of a tire are you planning to run?
What track/s?

rawbeanz 03-12-2019 08:53 PM

I run with 86DC so I'm using GT Radal SX-2 and tracks would be Thunder Hill, Button Willow, Laguna and Sonoma.

ZDan 03-12-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawbeanz (Post 3194988)

Probably not...
LCAs are hugely overprescribed IMO.
I would lower the car first and see what you get, bearing in mind that -2 degrees and even more is perfectly streetable camber.
FWIW I'm 1.25" lowered at -2.5 degrees rear camber and zero rear toe with factory arms. No problem...

strat61caster 03-12-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3195063)
Probably not...
LCAs are hugely overprescribed IMO.
I would lower the car first and see what you get, bearing in mind that -2 degrees and even more is perfectly streetable camber.
FWIW I'm 1.25" lowered at -2.5 degrees rear camber and zero rear toe with factory arms. No problem...

Fine for street use, not fine for OP headed to the track, you got lucky, most cars don't have even camber in the rear,reason enough to pay the $250 for alignment parts even on stock coilovers.

CounterSpace Garage 03-13-2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawbeanz (Post 3195039)
I go to maybe 3-8 track days a year, but I'm not sure whether I want to go with a budget single adjustable(Tien flex a, hks hypermax, ohlins r&t) or something in the double adjustable range(jrz or act) for the coils.

I honestly don't really care about looks but Im just wondering if the SPLs are really necessary with the additional adjustability.

Our CSG FLA setup + recommended settings gets you pretty close to our alignment specifications. We generally prefer SPL for its reliability and consistency, but it is not absolutely required. It certainly helps give you the desired camber. SPC is a lower cost option that many have purchased from us as well.

ZDan 03-13-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3195083)
Fine for street use, not fine for OP headed to the track, you got lucky, most cars don't have even camber in the rear,reason enough to pay the $250 for alignment parts even on stock coilovers.

Stock LCAs are *totally* fine for track use, I did 13 track days on them last year, won my time-trialing class (over other 86s and a slew of Hoosiered NA and NB Miatae) and overall championship with COMSCC :)

I doubt many FT86s will have more than ~0.5 degrees rear camber difference left vs. right, which IMO is not that big a deal. Honestly I wouldn't bother with aftermarket LCAs if I had something like -2.2 on one side and -2.7 on the other, but as it turns out I'm at -2.4/-2.6, which is of course totally fine.

Racecomp Engineering 03-13-2019 03:15 PM

I would recommend against using LCAs with exposed spherical bearings for anyone that drives on roads that are salted. I use Cusco LCAs on my own personal car because of the rubber booty that protects a high quality bearing. Exposed bearings would not last very long on a street driven car in this area and I'd have to replace the ends more than I'd like.

- Andrew

Takumi788 03-13-2019 03:24 PM

I do 25+ track days a year. I have -2.5 degrees of camber with the SPC LCAs. I paint marked them when I installed them and they haven't budged. Don't waste ur money on the fancy ones.

rawbeanz 03-13-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takumi788 (Post 3195462)
I do 25+ track days a year. I have -2.5 degrees of camber with the SPC LCAs. I paint marked them when I installed them and they haven't budged. Don't waste ur money on the fancy ones.

Sweet, thanks! I'm probably just going to use the SPC ones, I got a killer deal on a set.

Turbo 03-26-2019 03:53 AM

I'm wondering if CSG and RaceComp can offer any feedback on the Blox Racing rear lower control arms?

They seem VERY beefy and decently made. Probably not as light as an all-aluminum machined arm but also50-60% less $$$.