Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two schools of thoughts Miata and 86 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109449)

RichardsFRS 08-10-2016 12:41 PM

Two schools of thoughts Miata and 86

Why is the Miata less powerful but every thinks is fast, cool quick fun spirited, great handling and the list goes on

Talk to anyone about the FRS or BRZ, THAT CAR IS TO SLOW. Why aren't fun cool fast quick, spirited great handling and the list goes on. We know we are but the consensus is SLOW and no one looks past it.

I've never thought the Miata was fast or quick, excluding the Mazda speed. I think its because when it came out it was fast and quick, but today you have to live up to pseudo race cars to be fast.

I still would like to drive one and if my wife gets her way I may lol. But having two impractical sportscars would suck if we didn't have a utility vehicle

MarkR171 08-10-2016 12:49 PM

The 86 is slow. The Miata (ND) is quicker. They're both good cars. The 86 has a fixed roof and a "back seat" with a transmission that doesn't blow up.

FX86 08-10-2016 12:50 PM

because miata owners/fans/enthusiast are usually mature adults...the 86 attracts dumb ass kids that think the ford mustang v6 their mommy&daddy bought is the best car in the world because it's so fast in a straight line ..."mine does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds...your car is slow as crap"

arrow34 08-10-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FX86 (Post 2725937)
because miata owners/fans/enthusiast are usually mature adults...the 86 attracts dumb ass kids that think the ford mustang v6 their mommy&daddy bought is the best car in the world because it's so fast in a straight line ..."mine does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds...your car is slow as crap"

What he said... plus those dumb kids think going fast in a straight line is COOL. Not that you can take a corner at 30-40mph and it can break loose and that just passing and driving around this car makes you smile....

But not having driven a Miata... I am not sure why some would say that about a Miata(being fast or fun). Watch fresh off the boat.... :) Hopefully someone gets that. Anyway- I have gotten the same thing when I mention I bought a frs. Man that needs some more power... I said no not really for my purposes. I have handed my keys over to some Mercedes benz guys and had them take it for a spin, changes their minds after driving it around.

finch1750 08-10-2016 01:23 PM

It is very different. I have an MR2 Spyder and have driven Miatas. They feel faster then they are imo. I can take most roads/turns at higher speeds in the FRS even thoigh it feels slower.

There is no way to duplicate lightness. Simple as that. It's what leaves me torn about keeping or selling the spyder

Summerwolf 08-10-2016 01:24 PM

A mazdaspeed Miata is pretty slow too.... buuuttt they're the easiest to make fun. Flyin' Miata has kits to make 300+ WHP for reasonable prices.

A lot of the cars this forum dogs on for being "straight line" vehicles can take corners too.

weederr33 08-10-2016 01:30 PM

I always love the argument our cars need 300+ horse power. People always chant on about how it needs that much. But it seems absurd to try and explain that something like that would no longer be a "cheap fun car" and instead make it an exotic fast and expensive car. It boggles my mind why people don't understand that. It's a $26k car for god sake!
Though I'd probably buy one with a factory turbo for $40k, but then it would be limited to those who would/ could buy it. And again, it wouldn't be competing with cars like the miata. It would be competing directly with something like the Porsche 718.

MrDinkleman 08-10-2016 01:33 PM

Why is the Miata less powerful but every thinks is fast, cool quick fun spirited, great handling and the list goes on

First of all, nobody thinks the Miata, at least any factory-stock Miata except the MSM, is fast or quick. They are cool in general because they are convertibles and for the motorheads they are cool because they are RWD two seater convertibles. And you can't deny they are fun; I can't even deny they are fun and I don't like convertibles. And the handling is great.

Having said that, the Twins are everything Miatas are except for the drop top.

I have a 10th Anniversary Model (1999) Miata and to me, they are equals in terms of driving fun/dynamics although the Twins are, of course, quieter and more rigid.

Atticus808 08-10-2016 01:40 PM

sometimes after i'm done taking a turn at the top of 2nd or 3rd or 4th, i think to myself that i would never get rid of this car for something faster. You drive faster cars harder and you are going like 10000000 kmph over the speed limit.

[YOYO] 08-10-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 2725985)
I always love the argument our cars need 300+ horse power. People always chant on about how it needs that much. But it seems absurd to try and explain that something like that would no longer be a "cheap fun car" and instead make it an exotic fast and expensive car. It boggles my mind why people don't understand that. It's a $26k car for god sake!
Though I'd probably buy one with a factory turbo for $40k, but then it would be limited to those who would/ could buy it. And again, it wouldn't be competing with cars like the miata. It would be competing directly with something like the Porsche 718.

Well said sir. I am way past the 'FR-S / BRZ are slow' thing. It's just laughable to me. My previous car was quicker in the straights, but I don't care. Straight line speed has nothing to do with this platform, and I'm having STUPID amounts of fun just driving it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus808 (Post 2726000)
sometimes after i'm done taking a turn at the top of 2nd or 3rd or 4th, i think to myself that i would never get rid of this car for something faster. You drive faster cars harder and you are going like 10000000 kmph over the speed limit.

Exactly. This car keeps things fun and helps you stay out of trouble at the same time.

mdm 08-10-2016 01:43 PM

I understand now how this forum got to 2.5 million posts. People just keep saying/discussing the same few things over and over again ;)

FX86 08-10-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdm (Post 2726007)
I understand now how this forum got to 2.5 million posts. People just keep saying/discussing the same few things over and over again ;)

questions remain the same and so do the answers

Yoshoobaroo 08-10-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkR171 (Post 2725934)
The 86 is slow. The Miata (ND) is quicker. They're both good cars. The 86 has a fixed roof and a "back seat" with a transmission that doesn't blow up.

The ND posts a quicker 0-60 because of its tires. On the same tires, the 86 would be just as quick if not a bit quicker.

Apex-Apex 08-10-2016 01:47 PM

In all honestly, these cars do need more power stock. At least 50whp MINIMUM.