Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Really, which is faster AT vs MT? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148720)

Chan 02-06-2022 01:08 PM

Really, which is faster AT vs MT?

In this second gen the horsepower is the same in the MT vs AT. I saw a video where a couple guys were racing on the freeway. It seemed like the automatic had the edge.

Are there any numbers or dater that suggest otherwise?

EAGLE5 02-06-2022 01:22 PM

Getting this car with an automatic is a capital offense.

Yoshoobaroo 02-06-2022 02:03 PM

Really, which is faster AT vs MT?

If you’re asking that question you probably won’t enjoy this car in either configuration. Look into a Mustang/370Z.

Edit: nevermind, looks like you have a 2020 already lol. Manual should still have the edge because of better gearing, but I don’t think any of us are bothered enough to find out.

fredzy 02-06-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3502619)
If you’re asking that question you probably won’t enjoy this car in either configuration. Look into a Mustang/370Z.

This is correct

Sapphireho 02-06-2022 02:11 PM

MT

soundman98 02-06-2022 03:05 PM

depends on usage.
in the curves, with many and varied RPM's? it's not called 'autotragic' for nothing. 'wrong gear, pullin' up tha rear'

on the quarter mile? manual shift 'speed' is going to be directly related more to the inept human operating the controls. could be faster, could be slower.

but if any of that is important to you, this car won't be. get a mustang or a focus rs.

Ogt 02-06-2022 03:41 PM

Doing rolls against other slow friends, my auto seems to fair well because of quick enough auto. I am now transitioning to 2nd gen manual because I miss the manual shifting.
Tldr depends on what you’re doing but if you’re going to pinch pennies mt vs at for speed then maybe you wouldn’t ultimately enjoy the car like others said.

Chan 02-06-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3502619)

Edit: nevermind, looks like you have a 2020 already lol. Manual should still have the edge because of better gearing, but I don’t think any of us are bothered enough to find out.

So I’m 50. And my 2020 86 was my first sports car ever. I did have a 72 Charger when I turned 16 but that was a boat and not a sports car. I loved my 2020 86. It was an automatic but I had no choice as it was a left over sitting on the lot for 2 years. So I really didn’t know any better. I have a premium MT that should be here before the end of the month. I may or may not track it. I work from home so really don’t need to worry about traffic too much. I learned on a stick shift so I’m not concerned about that. I like to go fast and kick the backend of the car out every chance I get. Lol.

The last couple days have been second guessing my choice for a MT. I feel like it’s a side effect of waiting for the dang thing to come in. If it wasn’t a waiting game I probably wouldn’t be second guessing myself as I would have the car by now and having a good time with it.

2020BRZtS 02-06-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chan (Post 3502653)
So I’m 50. And my 2020 86 was my first sports car ever. I did have a 72 Charger when I turned 16 but that was a boat and not a sports car. I loved my 2020 86. It was an automatic but I had no choice as it was a left over sitting on the lot for 2 years. So I really didn’t know any better. I have a premium MT that should be here before the end of the month. I may or may not track it. I work from home so really don’t need to worry about traffic too much. I learned on a stick shift so I’m not concerned about that. I like to go fast and kick the backend of the car out every chance I get. Lol.

The last couple days have been second guessing my choice for a MT. I feel like it’s a side effect of waiting for the dang thing to come in. If it wasn’t a waiting game I probably wouldn’t be second guessing myself as I would have the car by now and having a good time with it.

You will not regret your choice. Hang in here once it's here you have your whole life to enjoy it. In the off chance you hate it you can sell it in 5 minutes.

7 skulls 02-06-2022 04:41 PM

In defense of the automatic (which I bought... on purpose), it is a really good autobox. In anything but the ultra-tall first gear, the auto will be as fast or faster unless you are the reincarnation of Aryton Senna.

TommyW 02-06-2022 04:59 PM

Mustangs are faster.....

chikubi 02-06-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7 skulls (Post 3502664)
In defense of the automatic (which I bought... on purpose), it is a really good autobox. In anything but the ultra-tall first gear, the auto will be as fast or faster unless you are the reincarnation of Aryton Senna.

Most auto mags etc. that have tested both place the auto about a second slower than the manual. The auto’s good, but it’s not faster than the manual.

whataboutbob 02-06-2022 06:06 PM

Depends on who is driving it.

ozafar 02-07-2022 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGLE5 (Post 3502612)
Getting this car with an automatic is a capital offense.

Calm down dude. We all agree the it’s great to get a manual, but you don’t have to get all worked up for some of us that buy autos. You don’t know their training and it’s kinda unfair to put anyone down for wanting an auto.

I’ve owned gen1 manual and auto, and I’m as fast at Autobahn North as the fastest time posted on your link for best track times. (And that was a heavily modified car, similar to mine).

Point is, no need to be so brazen. Plenty of reasons to buy a manual, and plenty to buy an auto.