Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Hearing a rattling noise everytime I pass over rough roads (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137828)

Nitrozedezz86 11-19-2019 02:41 AM

Hearing a rattling noise everytime I pass over rough roads

I’m not sure what needs changing or tightening. But I’m hearing a rattling noise everytime I go over bumps on the road. Someone said it had to be the steering rack and the reason being is because the steering rack needs to be greased.
They mentioned drilling hole into the rack to insert the grease and putting grease nipples. Can someone advise me on this .
Thank you.

DarkPira7e 11-19-2019 05:21 AM

Where is the noise coming from? How loud is it? Does it sound more like plastic or metal? What modifications are done to your car? What size wheels/tires? How fast are you going over these bumps? How many miles on your car? Do you hear this sound under any other circumstances?

Steering rack is the last place I'd be searching.

humfrz 11-19-2019 11:10 AM

^ this.

Welcome to the forum, Nitrozedezz86 -:clap:

humfrz

8RZ 11-19-2019 11:50 AM

Check all suspension components (shocks, top hats, control arms, sway bars, end links, and all the bushings) first.

ActionMaxon 11-22-2019 05:01 PM

Noise over bumps? Most common component failures are sway bar links and the sway bar frame bushings. That is more of a clunk though, not so much rattle.

Strut tops, control arm bushings, ball joints.

I've never seen a steering rack cause a rattle.

Don't drill into anything in an attempt to add a fitting and grease. Unless you can get out the metal shavings you just created by drilling you're only going to make it worse. When you replace parts, buy ones you can grease if you want that ability. Moog comes to mind.

Rattles come from loose metal like brackets, exhausts, heat shields and whatnot.

Could also be caused by poor installation of new components. Think a shock bolt that didn't get tightened enough. It may become loose enough that a washer is now bouncing around between the shock bushing and nut.

Edit: If you want to add grease to an ungreaseable joint get a grease gun and get the needle looking attachment. Pierce the boot and add grease. Not as effective as a real fitting but might help.

norcalpb 11-23-2019 03:49 PM

I wonder if you’re having the same “bag of rocks” sound I’m having whenever I go over bumps.

Shakes the shit of my transmission tunnel

why? 11-23-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrozedezz86 (Post 3276557)
I’m not sure what needs changing or tightening. But I’m hearing a rattling noise everytime I go over bumps on the road. Someone said it had to be the steering rack and the reason being is because the steering rack needs to be greased.
They mentioned drilling hole into the rack to insert the grease and putting grease nipples. Can someone advise me on this .
Thank you.

sounds like someone is making fun of you for whining about a rattle in a $25k sports car.

like everyone has mentioned, just tighten everything.

Ernest72 11-25-2019 10:59 AM

Check all heat shields first in exhaust. Then all suspension parts. Doubt it’s the rack.

ermax 11-25-2019 11:24 PM

Hearing a rattling noise everytime I pass over rough roads

There is a rubber coupler that sits between the EPS motor and the worm gear that will completely disintegrate leaving you with metal to metal contact. The EPS unit sits directly on the steering column between your knees. Took me months of checking bolts all over the place to find the source. If it’s the EPS coupler you will hear in on roads with small high frequency bumps at low speeds or while heavy braking at any speed. A good test that’s easy to reproduce is to run over road reflectors. The sound will seem like it’s down by you feet. I actually thought it sounded like it was coming from the passenger foot well and my son was convened it was coming from my footwell.

Long story short the coupler is a $5 part and is easy to replace. Search for a thread started by me with the word “coupler” for a DIY tutorial.