Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   CANADA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Gas Mileage (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126781)

Cookies 04-09-2018 04:43 PM

Gas Mileage

I bought my car about 5 or 6 months ago and have been noticing that I have only been getting 240-300km to a tank, all city driving pretty much under 80 kph 90% of the time. Doing all highway i could manage 400km to a tank

This seems pretty bad, but i blew it off dismissing it as me being new to manual and the amount of city driving i do. I have tried to keep the rev's pretty low and still only hit the higher end of that range. (Car was originally from Alberta)

I have replaced all the spark plugs and flushed the engine for carbon build up, still no difference. I am also running new tires.

My question, is this km bad considering its all city driving, and if it is what should i look to improve it?

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 04-09-2018 04:49 PM

That's bad. Even during winter, with the MY17's shorter gearing, I get about 420 km from full tank to fuel light. I reckon something is off. What kind of gas do you use?

Frost 04-09-2018 05:34 PM

You'll need to provide way more details on your daily driving. Is it all free flowing highway driving or all city? I review cars on the side and I've blown through MPG estimates thanks to my heavy city commuting but once I get on the highway with free flowing traffic and I come back down to specifications.

Also, are you sure you're not lugging the engine? Switching to the highest gear possible can work against you in certain conditions.

Jordanwolf 04-09-2018 05:42 PM

Idunno, I easily get 500 km per tank on larger diameter winter tires, and primarily city driving.

This seems really really bad to me.

Only reason I could see such bad KM would be from using gas that has like 35% ethanol or something.. Try 91 shell if you aren't already.

Cole 04-09-2018 05:49 PM

My gas mileage went down to 325km ish per tank this past winter. Likely due to a bad o2 sensor, then took a while to improve again once that 02 sensor was replaced. My mileage is hurt anyhow, since I have fender spoilers, plus a wing. But now it's improved to 400ish km.

FWIW, most of my driving is city driving with only brief stints on the highway. Though I did get 600km on a tank a couple weekends ago when I drove up to the bruce peninsula.

Are you throwing any codes? Rough idle? Aero? etc?

Ghost of Akina 04-09-2018 05:51 PM

that does seem off, try changing up your driving style for a week and see if that makes any impact +/-.

I don't daily mine often but even with "spirited driving" have been seeing ore than 300 to a tank.

Cookies 04-09-2018 06:02 PM

I run the highest gas I can find at each station, I usually fill up with Esso so I think it's 91 or 93. I have no codes up on the dash currently and the car is stock aero wise.

Usually city driving around 60 kph or so with stop and go traffic 1/4 of the time or so. The idle is about 600 or 700 after warmed up, but about 1.5k on startup for about 15 seconds which I hear is a regular frs thing. I avoid that lugging sound when I shift to too low rpms

When I try to hyper mile the car I can manage barely over 300 maybe like 320, but on the opposite end I have had 240 km tanks from driving hard.

Think that covers everything?

wutsaiu 04-09-2018 08:16 PM

A Canadian thread about gas mileage with no L/100km. :bonk:

Jordanwolf 04-09-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutsaiu (Post 3070242)
A Canadian thread about gas mileage with no L/100km. :bonk:

You can calculate L/100km based off of people saying what they are getting from a full tank. It wouldn't be accurate to the decimal, but it gives an idea.

finch1750 04-09-2018 08:42 PM

Do you have a way to datalog? A bad o2 sensor can kill mpg (I'v already had to replace mine).

Also, do you aftermarket wheels/tires? Power mods?

Frost 04-09-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookies (Post 3070189)
I run the highest gas I can find at each station, I usually fill up with Esso so I think it's 91 or 93. I have no codes up on the dash currently and the car is stock aero wise.

Usually city driving around 60 kph or so with stop and go traffic 1/4 of the time or so. The idle is about 600 or 700 after warmed up, but about 1.5k on startup for about 15 seconds which I hear is a regular frs thing. I avoid that lugging sound when I shift to too low rpms

When I try to hyper mile the car I can manage barely over 300 maybe like 320, but on the opposite end I have had 240 km tanks from driving hard.

Think that covers everything?

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3070252)
Do you have a way to datalog? A bad o2 sensor can kill mpg (I'v already had to replace mine).

Also, do you aftermarket wheels/tires? Power mods?

This.

Any mods? Cold weather this winter also made fuel economy as bad as almost 10-15% worse.

Cookies 04-09-2018 08:58 PM

Car is stock in the engine bay, I had the stock rims and tires on during the summer till about two days ago. No difference with the winters or the new rubber that I can see so far.

Frost 04-09-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookies (Post 3070257)
Car is stock in the engine bay, I had the stock rims and tires on during the summer till about two days ago. No difference with the winters or the new rubber that I can see so far.

Winter tires AND low temperatures affect the fuel econ.

Have you noticed you running rich on startup?

Cookies 04-09-2018 09:09 PM

I have noticed the car is a bit jerky when starting in the cold. It will lurch forward a few times when pull out of driveway in first gear.

I had driven my car all last summer with slightly better fuel economy, 280-320km a tank.