Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   transmission grind (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61600)

jbailey8748 03-25-2014 11:02 AM

transmission grind

I have a 2013 brz mt 20,000 miles on odometer. I want to out this up to help you out if you happen upon this same problem.

recently I started getting a grind shifting up past 3500rpm into 4th and 6th.

yesterday I took the car to jim burke automotive service center here in Birmingham where I bought the car. It was oil change time, and the needs to test drive it to reproduce the problem. After a couple hours, they were pretty busy, so the Tec came and wanted me to go for a drive because they couldn't reproduce the problem. I showed him how consistent the grind is while shifting into 4th and he heard it clearly, the upshift into 6th is more subtle and is more that you can feel it in the shifter. When we got back to the service center the mechanic or whoever he needed to talk to was on another test drive so he told me he would get with this person and whoever else that need to be talked to and call me.

got a call this morning to come in, took the mechanic for a ride and he herd it and thought it may be a shifter problem. he came back with a service bulletin for a shifter bushing.
they got that ordered and will be getting a hold of me soon to get this fixed.

service bulletin number 03-71-13. im trying to find it on internet to post here.

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...06147693_o.jpg

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...10169349_o.jpg

went in today to get the new shifter bushing. got my car back not only did it not fix the problem but now there is a ridiculous amount of slop in the shifter, finding second was hard to find and there is a loud rattle coming from the shifter. i drove right back into the shop. the service adviser was great the mechanic was not. the mechanic kept telling me there are only four bolts in the new piece the play couldnt be helped, he didnt understand the problem, told me he could put the old one back, i told him i dint care what he did i want my car the way it should be. my service adviser put me in a crosstrek, he is gonna find out what needs to happen and call me. it seems like i may be in the loaner for a couple weeks.

i just got bushings in to fix the exact same sloppy shifter problem in my wives 03 wrx. this is what the brz is like after the "fix". i cant help but feel like the mechanic left a bushing out.
this was a horrible experience, maybe they were just having a bad day, maybe.

new transmission is in. all better now. we will see if the problem comes back with this new transmission.

hopefully this will hep someone with similar problems out.

humfrz 03-25-2014 11:07 AM

Please clarify ..... ??

humfrz

wheelhaus 03-25-2014 11:22 AM

That was a little hard to follow... 4th and 6th are grinding at mid-high RPM, and a tech confirmed it, but are you just letting us know like FYI, or are you asking a question?

jbailey8748 03-25-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelhaus (Post 1624633)
That was a little hard to follow... 4th and 6th are grinding at mid-high RPM, and a tech confirmed it, but are you just letting us know like FYI, or are you asking a question?

yup this is an fyi, just though someone with a similar situation might like to know

wheelhaus 03-25-2014 02:12 PM

Ah right on, glad to see they're fixing it. Subaru is known for dodging warranty fixes. Definitely post the TSB here when you find it!

Turkish 03-26-2014 09:07 AM

I have a transmission on order through my Subaru dealer under warranty as my 5th synchro is making shifting into 5th gear from any other gear (99% from either 4th or 6th gear) and the tech immediately recreated the issue. Adding to the "FYI"

Turkish 03-26-2014 09:09 AM

Also this should be moved to the issues/warranty sub forum.

WNDSRFR 03-26-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkish (Post 1626965)
I have a transmission on order through my Subaru dealer under warranty as my 5th synchro is making shifting into 5th gear from any other gear (99% from either 4th or 6th gear) and the tech immediately recreated the issue. Adding to the "FYI"

I had the same problem with the 5th gear syncro on my FR-S since the day I got it.

Took them a couple months for them to figure out what to do with it but I finally got a new transmission.

WNDSRFR 03-26-2014 10:04 AM

I don't know about their shifter bushing story but if that doesn't fix it (which I doubt) I would demand a new transmission.

jbailey8748 03-29-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WNDSRFR (Post 1627069)
I don't know about their shifter bushing story but if that doesn't fix it (which I doubt) I would demand a new transmission.

i am also skeptical about the bushing doing anything but ill let them go through their process

evan 03-31-2014 11:42 AM

..and the 6MT Aisin problems keep on piling up. What a sham.

zc06_kisstherain 03-31-2014 01:46 PM

like others said, I don't think bushing will do much..TSB said fixing rattles. who knows..
keep us updated.

jbailey8748 03-31-2014 02:24 PM

as soon as I get called to come it I will let y'all know

jbailey8748 04-23-2014 05:44 PM

so I called the service department to see what was taking so long. Apparently they have the part, I will go in Friday morning. Dont really get why I had to check up with them, but whatever hopefully the problem will soon be fixed.