Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Anyone not buying to avoid early issues like 1st gen FRS? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145605)

stocktc1 06-06-2021 03:36 PM

Anyone not buying to avoid early issues like 1st gen FRS?

Just wondering. But I think a lot of the car is from the 1st gen?

Yoshoobaroo 06-06-2021 03:47 PM

The 1st year issues are always exaggerated. you're still buying a car with a warranty after all. Yes the early cars typically have more recalls, but on the BRZ/gt86 it was pretty much limited to tail light gaskets.

Note: The big scary valve spring recall was not a 1st year production issue, it affected other Subarus that had been in production for a while as well. Metal supplier faked the material certification reports for a batch of valve springs. Very shitty, but not exactly under Subaru's control.

DaffyDOHC 06-06-2021 03:59 PM

I will be buying day 1 if I can. Only thing that will stop me is if they don't have the color I want or they mark up to the point I can get a WRX STI or something.

soundman98 06-06-2021 04:09 PM

i always prefer waiting a year. makes me feel better others were the guinea pig.

PulsarBeeerz 06-06-2021 06:54 PM

People still pretend that MY13 cars were blowing up left and right from valve springs when that wasn't the case at all.. Some were even foolish enough to the sell the car for a loss after the recall and blame the car despite the faults being clearly linked to technicians.

This new car comes with a warranty and lessons learned. There's no beta version.

RToyo86 06-06-2021 07:09 PM

I am sure they will sell all the first year models with no issues. There will probably even be an MSRP premium if they can't build many due to covid production restrictions

mazeroni 06-06-2021 07:28 PM

The only part I would call into question is the engine because it is the most changed. But the Ascent's engine has been problem free, and since that is the starting point, I wouldn't worry.

The rest of the car has been tweaked and refined. Both transmissions are carry forward. The suspension seems to be as well.

There are new electronics, like the dash screen that could bug out, but that should be covered under the 5 year warranty.

You might want to wait only to find out if there is going to be a GR86 Sport or some other special addition that adds Brembos, Dampers, and a special color.

RToyo86 06-06-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazeroni (Post 3439356)

You might want to wait only to find out if there is going to be a GR86 Sport or some other special addition that adds Brembos, Dampers, and a special color.

I definitely see Toyota/Subaru doing that. It would be a step backwards to ditch the "performance pack".
They're smart and will probably offer it on later years to keep interest.

botbs 06-06-2021 11:14 PM

I prefer to buy clearance on the facelift version (4 to 5 yrs from now). After the hype die down and dealer will offer a lot of discount ($3k to $4k CAD) here in Canada.

PandaEighty-Six 06-06-2021 11:32 PM

That's the main reason. Plus, wanting to wait and see how the car is (which I'm mostly sold on), options and what kinds of discounts after car sales peak.

Blighty 06-07-2021 01:13 AM

Had the og 86 from dec 2012, was an incredible car till the day I sold it in 2020.

Reliability and quality control was amazing - I didn't even had a creak or a rattle, let alone something wrong with it in all those 8 years.

Did all the mandatory recalls, which just ended up saving me money to be honest because they got in and replaced the sparkplugs for me when they did the valve spring!

I did not really mod my car though, if that matters.

I have deposited on both GR86 and BRZ, after test drive I'll choose and depending on colour availability I might be lucky enough to walk away with one this year.

Blighty 06-07-2021 01:32 AM

One thing I will say that happens in the first year is that _everyone_ wants to talk to you about the car.

wbradley 06-07-2021 07:31 AM

From my understanding, between 75-80% of the 2013's were written off due to defects. I was in the lucky 20% and only had a few water droplets in one taillight. If that is a deterrent to you, wait it out.

Tcoat 06-07-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbradley (Post 3439444)
From my understanding, between 75-80% of the 2013's were written off due to defects. I was in the lucky 20% and only had a few water droplets in one taillight. If that is a deterrent to you, wait it out.

Where in hell did you come up with that number? That is not even basicly realistic.