Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northwest (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Cascade Loop (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119060)

Diane 05-31-2017 10:36 PM

The Cascade Loop

I'm planning on taking the Cascade Loop with a friend in a few weeks. I doubt I'll have any trouble with snow this time of the year, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Has anyone else taken the route before? Any recommendations or sites I don't necessarily need to visit?

For those who never heard of it: http://cascadeloop.com/

PNW FRS 05-31-2017 10:46 PM

Great loop (drive)

The only thing better than doing this loop in an '86 would be to do it on a motorcycle! It will be an awesome route. Enjoy!

soulreapersteve 05-31-2017 11:04 PM

I've lost count how many times I've done the Loop.

If you go on the weekdays, less people possibly so more fun. People tend to not pull over to let you by so be aware of that (from my experiences). When they do, give them a thumbs up as thanks!

Leavenworth is the usual place to stop for food and break. My opinion, skip whidbey island, it was ok but ehhhh....

tyler_win_photo 06-01-2017 12:59 AM

Personally my favorite part is the North Cascades. I would also skip the "region 8"

Diane 06-01-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulreapersteve (Post 2920152)
I've lost count how many times I've done the Loop.

If you go on the weekdays, less people possibly so more fun. People tend to not pull over to let you by so be aware of that (from my experiences). When they do, give them a thumbs up as thanks!

Leavenworth is the usual place to stop for food and break. My opinion, skip whidbey island, it was ok but ehhhh....

I think the roundtrip trip is 440 miles, which seems rather short to me. I can see it taking a full weekend by staying at Leavenworth, etc. but not bleed into the week.

I'm waiting for the Spring semester to end before I take the trip, but it's probably unnecessary to miss work for it. Iunno is it worth treating it like a full vacation the first time around?

PNW FRS 06-01-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane (Post 2920582)
I think the roundtrip trip is 440 miles, which seems rather short to me. I can see it taking a full weekend by staying at Leavenworth, etc. but not bleed into the week.

I'm waiting for the Spring semester to end before I take the trip, but it's probably unnecessary to miss work for it. Iunno is it worth treating it like a full vacation the first time around?

Hard to say... kind of depends on whether you're doing this loop for the "driving experience" or "checking out the various spots along the route..." (or some sort of mix of the two). If it's "all about the road" and enjoying the 86 as it tackles the route... IMHO you're looking at an easy 2-day trip. Throw in some 1 or 2 hour + stops and you can see how you'd start creeping into a 3rd day.

And the wild card is also how many hours you expect (want) to be in the seat.... some people are "done" after 3-4 hours... some can go 7+ hours a day.

soulreapersteve 06-01-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane (Post 2920582)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW FRS (Post 2920621)
Hard to say... kind of depends on whether you're doing this loop for the "driving experience" or "checking out the various spots along the route..." (or some sort of mix of the two). If it's "all about the road" and enjoying the 86 as it tackles the route... IMHO you're looking at an easy 2-day trip. Throw in some 1 or 2 hour + stops and you can see how you'd start creeping into a 3rd day.

And the wild card is also how many hours you expect (want) to be in the seat.... some people are "done" after 3-4 hours... some can go 7+ hours a day.

What PNW said.

Each time I do the loop, I finish it within 10 hours. That includes stops for restroom, one 1.5 hour lunch, and spots for pictures. Can finish it faster if we *cough* drive faster with less breaks, which we usually do.

Really unnecessary to miss work for the loop. If you want to do it in 2-ish days and enjoy the scenic sights, leave Saturday in the early AM then return Sunday night.

DrifterD 06-02-2017 01:35 PM

I will do this loop at some point.....