Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Next Gen BRZ/86! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126662)

himbo 04-04-2018 04:04 PM

Next Gen BRZ/86!

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/04/...z-turbo-rumor/

Still a rumor but Japan Times is supposed to be a reputable source. I know that Subaru recently introduced the FA24 for the Ascent - which maintains the stroke of the FA20, but expands the bore. That sounds like it could mean a higher redline (more oversquare than before). Crossing my fingers!

ZDan 04-04-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himbo (Post 3067977)
Still a rumor but Japan Times is supposed to be a reputable source. I know that Subaru recently introduced the FA24 for the Ascent - which maintains the stroke of the FA20, but expands the bore. That sounds like it could mean a higher redline (more oversquare than before). Crossing my fingers!

More oversquare with the same stroke doesn't imply a higher redline, max piston speeds and accelerations are unchanged. But still, if Honda could rev the 87mm stroke F22C to 8200rpm, surely Subaru could bump the FA up to 8000. 2.4 liters with 8000rpm redline should be good for 266hp, that'd be OK with me :D

JonRZ 04-04-2018 05:36 PM

Biggest takeaway about all of this ...

... The 86/BRZ Twins live on! That in itself is a victory, we can talk engine later :thumbup:

stlgrym3 04-04-2018 05:51 PM

maybe i'm being selfish, but i kind of wish the 86 stops at the current generation so our cars hold some values as collectors' item 10-15 years down the road.

mrg666 04-04-2018 06:12 PM

Nothing new, speculation started with FA24 see here for example.

Windycitystig 04-04-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlgrym3 (Post 3068050)
maybe i'm being selfish, but i kind of wish the 86 stops at the current generation so our cars hold some values as collectors' item 10-15 years down the road.

I feel the same way. The next gen got to cost more.

I’m surprised as Nissan doesn’t have any real plans to update the Z.

Barefootdan 04-05-2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabrah7 (Post 3068211)
I feel the same way. The next gen got to cost more.

I’m surprised as Nissan doesn’t have any real plans to update the Z.

If I remember correctly, there’s rumors of them updating the. With the 3.0t from the infinity coupe

Xxyion 04-05-2018 12:50 AM

If this is true i might actually end up selling my BRZ to get the new one. 266hp with full bolt ons, tune and e85 should easily net around 270ish whp give or take. My goal was to hit that with FI, but if i can do that NA i'll be more than happy.

Bristecom 04-05-2018 01:01 AM

I've been sayin' all along... they should have used a 2.4L! The Boxer type engines are not penalized by more displacement so unlike inline 4 cylinder engines, they do not need to add a balance shaft. So if they do this with a multi-stage intake system with the extra space boxers allow overhead, they'd have a very impressive engine on their hands!

rvoll 04-05-2018 02:45 AM

We can all speculate on the next gen BRZ, but the corporate eye shades will have some impact on the decision. The Subaru brand is off road 4 wheel drive -- and that's where they make their money. Toyota, on the other hand, is a very large brand with some very sporty cars like the Lexus RC and the upcoming Supra. Subaru can support the BRZ because of their association with Toyota. If Toyota works with BMW, as is a current possibility, then it would be difficult for Subaru to profitably make a new BRZ without raising the price substantially. BMW is currently working on a new Z4 with Toyota.

If Toyota goes with BMW for their sports car, then Subaru will be forced to share parts and manufacturing with their other models so the BRZ would not be "pure". Logic would say that it is best for Toyota to work with BMW, and thus the new BRZ would be a design update of the current model but using many of it's parts. More hp would make sense and perhaps making the sheet metal a bit more sleek plus making the interior more modern. That would improve the chances of the BRZ being more profitable. And a new model would be based on modifying the WRX so there would be more interchangeable parts among the two.

I spent an entire career doing corporate strategy, and Fuji Heavy Industries is not immune to that discipline. Whatever develops, the low volume BRZ will leverage some type of company relationship or model platform. Count on it....

In any event, the BRZ sells less than 5,000 units per year worldwide and is not doing well so far this year. How do you argue for a major update to the corporate bigwigs on a car that doesn't share a lot of the other model's parts/production and is in a category that doesn't sell well in this SUV crazy environment?

Ricepuddin 04-05-2018 03:28 AM

Plot twist, the BRZ and 86 will be turned into a hybrid CUV wit a CVT

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Pro using Tapatalk

Yoshoobaroo 04-05-2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvoll (Post 3068250)
If Toyota goes with BMW for their sports car,

They're not, that's for the Supra.

Quote:

then Subaru will be forced to share parts and manufacturing with their other models so the BRZ would not be "pure". Logic would say that it is best for Toyota to work with BMW, and thus the new BRZ would be a design update of the current model but using many of it's parts. ?

Even if Subaru were on their own for the new BRZ, which doesn't appear that way, the BRZ shares a TON of parts with the WRX. All the new Subaru engines are based off the FA20 architecture in the twins. The chassis is basically a 2wd WRX. aftermarket sway bars and control arms swap between the 2. The only bespoke things to the twins are the sheet metal, gearbox, and interior.

Quote:

In any event, the BRZ sells less than 5,000 units per year worldwide and is not doing well so far this year. How do you argue for a major update to the corporate bigwigs on a car that doesn't share a lot of the other model's parts/production and is in a category that doesn't sell well in this SUV crazy environment?

Even this year the BRZ/86 sales numbers keep up closely with the Miata, which is a younger car. I'm not buying the 'nobody is buying the twins' narrative. Sure the volume isn't high, but it's respectable for the type of car. My dealers (both Toyota and Subaru) don't have any sitting on the lot for more than a week, and good luck finding a used one around here that sits for that long.

bkharmony 04-05-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristecom (Post 3068231)
I've been sayin' all along... they should have used a 2.4L! The Boxer type engines are not penalized by more displacement so unlike inline 4 cylinder engines, they do not need to add a balance shaft. So if they do this with a multi-stage intake system with the extra space boxers allow overhead, they'd have a very impressive engine on their hands!

Quote:

I spent an entire career doing corporate strategy, and Fuji Heavy Industries is not immune to that discipline. Whatever develops, the low volume BRZ will leverage some type of company relationship or model platform. Count on it....

Between the two of you, we've got an engine designer and a corporate strategist. I'm certain Toyota and Subaru never conceived of the things you're bringing to the table. We'll put you both in touch immediately to sort out what the resources of two giant car-makers couldn't.

bkharmony 04-05-2018 10:43 AM

The rumor made Jalopnik, so prepare for a bigger wave of pointless speculation (followed by years of silence and mild upgrades).

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-and-suba...-re-1824311510