Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   2013 Scion FRS won't start - Not Battery! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149968)

TooFRSh 06-01-2022 03:37 PM

2013 Scion FRS won't start - Not Battery!
 
Hey everyone, so my car was perfectly fine right before I parked it. I just went for a carwash and then came back. After about a couple hours I went to go start the car and everything was normal until I turned the key to the on position and started to crank it. First turn of the key and all the electrical cut off. No engine turnover or anything occurred. I cleaned the battery terminals and posts and got the battery tested. Everything is good. So no battery issues. To get the electrical back up in the car I have to disconnect the battery and connect it again. Then the cycle repeats. Anybody have any ideas what this could be?

Grady 06-01-2022 05:29 PM

The battery.

But seriously Get a volt meter find out where you have a bad connection/losing voltage(or have voltage if you are checking ground connections). Start at the battery then work you way down the system. Without knowing where you have or do not have voltage in the system it is all just a guess.

WNDSRFR 06-01-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooFRSh (Post 3526875)
Hey everyone, so my car was perfectly fine right before I parked it. I just went for a carwash and then came back. After about a couple hours I went to go start the car and everything was normal until I turned the key to the on position and started to crank it. First turn of the key and all the electrical cut off. No engine turnover or anything occurred. I cleaned the battery terminals and posts and got the battery tested. Everything is good. So no battery issues. To get the electrical back up in the car I have to disconnect the battery and connect it again. Then the cycle repeats. Anybody have any ideas what this could be?

Maybe has something to do with it ?

Ultramaroon 06-01-2022 06:32 PM

You didn't mention your remote start system. Disconnect all of that jazz and then start tracing stuff if needed.

humfrz 06-02-2022 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3526899)
You didn't mention your remote start system. Disconnect all of that jazz and then start tracing stuff if needed.

@Ultramaroon , does a 2013 FRS have a remote start system?

OP, did you have the battery "load" tested?

Is that the original battery?

When you went through the car wash, was it the kind/feature that sprays water underneath the car?

:iono:

Ultramaroon 06-02-2022 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3526959)
@Ultramaroon , does a 2013 FRS have a remote start system?

OP, did you have the battery "load" tested?

Is that the original battery?

When you went through the car wash, was it the kind/feature that sprays water underneath the car?

:iono:

I doubt it's his battery. Sounds more like a corroded ground strap, OP just has to suck it up and troubleshoot point to point. Either that or fix it your way.

TooFRSh 06-02-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3526959)
@Ultramaroon , does a 2013 FRS have a remote start system?

OP, did you have the battery "load" tested?

Is that the original battery?

When you went through the car wash, was it the kind/feature that sprays water underneath the car?

:iono:

@humfrz The remote start was an aftermarket addition btw.

Hey so when I had it tested I went to Advance Auto Parts and they hooked it up to their battery tester. Not sure what all it looks for but I assume it had to have applied some load onto it to get diagnostics back.

This is not the original battery.

And when I went through the carwash it did do the underbody wash as well

TooFRSh 06-02-2022 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3526962)
I doubt it's his battery. Sounds more like a corroded ground strap, OP just has to suck it up and troubleshoot point to point. Either that or fix it your way.

@Ultramaroon Yea I'm probably gonna go the tracing route just to eliminate any other possibilities.

Update: I went out to see if the car would start this morning and it fired right up. Let it sit for a bit and turned it off to see if it would start again. Then it went back to the same thing with the power cutting off. From this I'm definitely getting suspicious of some grounding issues

Grady 06-02-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooFRSh (Post 3527008)
@Ultramaroon Yea I'm probably gonna go the tracing route just to eliminate any other possibilities.

Update: I went out to see if the car would start this morning and it fired right up. Let it sit for a bit and turned it off to see if it would start again. Then it went back to the same thing with the power cutting off. From this I'm definitely getting suspicious of some grounding issues

I am back suspicious of the battery. Those quick testers do not tell you much.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.