Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   One year without alcohol (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128499)

Clipdat 06-24-2018 07:41 PM

One year without alcohol

Today's date, June 24th 2018, marks exactly one year since I last drank any alcohol.

If you had asked me in the past if I ever thought I could go an entire year without drinking, I probably would've said WTF? and laughed in your face. Alcohol had been a pretty big part of my life from when I turned 21 (and lets be honest, a few years before 21 as well) in 2005 through the middle of 2017. I know a great deal about every style of beer and each type of spirit, in terms of their production methods and flavor profiles.

However, I've never been someone who could moderate my alcohol consumption. I would drink a lot of craft beer every single weekend (Friday through Sunday), and in 2016 and 2017 it was even more frequent than just weekends. I can't just have "one or two" drinks. If I start drinking, I don't stop until I'm in a stupor. "One drink is too many, and a thousand is never enough", if you will.

I was not in a good place in regards to alcohol. Whenever I wasn't drinking, I was usually thinking about when I could drink next. When I was drinking, I was thinking about that next drink I was going to get, and how many I could have. I can look back now and see that it was controlling my life. I was starting to have health issues. I was literally killing myself. On June 24th 2017, I hit rock bottom. And it wasn't the first time that I had. After a difficult conversation with my wife, I told her that I was going to make a change.

I decided to quit drinking, for an undecided amount of time. I think at first it was supposed to be for 6 months to a year. A few weeks after I quit, my wife decided to join me and stop drinking as well! Although she never had a problem like I did, this was great, we could do it together!

As the months passed, I quickly decided that I didn't just want to quit for a year. I came to the realization that I wanted to go the rest of my life without having another drop of alcohol. This is my goal that I'm now committed to, and I think it's absolutely possible.

Teseo 06-24-2018 08:14 PM

:cheers:Gratz mate

wbradley 06-24-2018 08:56 PM

People die far too young and terribly as a result of alcohol. If one happens to be the type to become addicted it is necessary to avoid in order to save your life.
To a significantly lesser degree the same could be said for tobacco as well.
People end up in the hospital with issues that might otherwise never arise.

It's something to think about.

Incidentally a bill just passed senate legalizing recreational cannabis across all provinces and territories of Canada effective Oct 17. I think that can be a far more benign recreational option but again if you're being sensible.

Impureclient 06-24-2018 08:58 PM

It's possible for sure to delete it out of your life. I stopped after a nice episode of alcohol poisoning pretty young and realized the way our bodies reject it physically and mentally is enough to stop it all together.
Next day dry heaving alone is enough to just say no forever to it. You don't gain anything positive from alcohol. I didn't have a father around because of it. Why anybody wants to pay to poison their
body slowly is without a reasonable answer. In actuality, it is beyond screwed how many lives are lost or ruined due to it and the less of that use it the better off everybody around us is. Good luck and stay dry.

ichitaka05 06-24-2018 09:06 PM

Good for you! Alcohol isn’t bad... just overdose of alcohol is. But stop drinking at all is good for your health.

Never got into drinking. I love car & driving, so drinking wasn’t an option. Also alcohol aren’t cheap. Rather spend money on better food or stuff and drink water instead. My wife is same, she never cared for drinking. She thinks it’s gross & waste of money. She rather have sushi or other seafood than ordering alcohol.

Ultramaroon 06-24-2018 09:30 PM

You look great. I've known my share of people in various stages of alcohol playing too much of a role in their lives.

Remember my first comment to you? It carries some extra weight in this context. I saw clear light in your eyes and was thrilled to see it.

Lantanafrs2 06-24-2018 09:59 PM

I saw the title and thought you tuned back for 93. Almost 4 yrs for me. It got ugly.

new2subaru 06-24-2018 10:29 PM

Congrats man!

humfrz 06-24-2018 10:44 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! … :clap:

The first year is a great milestone … :w00t:

So, what excuse do you now use for doing stupid things ..?? ….:confused0068:

One day at a time.... :)

humfrz - 21 years clean and sober

wbradley 06-26-2018 01:15 PM

Alcohol is toxic and the lethal dose isn't all that high for a lot of people. Plus heavy use causes liver and GI damage. And it's a significant carcinogen. No thanks, I never have more than wine with a nice meal or a beer or radler. Fortunately some people's bodies have a low tolerance, unfortunately others the opposite.

With The legalization of recreational cannabis becoming quite widespread, will we see people lamenting the addiction that took over their lives? Maybe, but I don't think you will hear of many that died as a result of Cannabis use.

I think pot could help some people significantly curb alcohol use.

humfrz 06-26-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbradley (Post 3103598)
Alcohol is toxic and the lethal dose isn't all that high for a lot of people. Plus heavy use causes liver and GI damage. And it's a significant carcinogen. No thanks, I never have more than wine with a nice meal or a beer or radler. Fortunately some people's bodies have a low tolerance, unfortunately others the opposite.

With The legalization of recreational cannabis becoming quite widespread, will we see people lamenting the addiction that took over their lives? Maybe, but I don't think you will hear of many that died as a result of Cannabis use.

I think pot could help some people significantly curb alcohol use.

From that post, I can get a solid indication that you are NOT an alcoholic, nor addicted to any other mind or mood altering drugs ….:)

And that's a good thing! :thumbsup:

humfrz

wbradley 06-26-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3103602)
From that post, I can get a solid indication that you are NOT an alcoholic, nor addicted to any other mind or mood altering drugs ….:)

And that's a good thing! :thumbsup:

humfrz

That's my answer and I'll stick with it. For insurance reasons it's wise to refrain from discussing one's mind altering drug habits on the web. Anyway from what I see some people are practically immune to thc :)

krayzie 06-26-2018 04:28 PM

I haven't had any alcohol for 7 years and soft drinks for 10 years so beat that!!!

wbradley 06-26-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krayzie (Post 3103658)
I haven't had any alcohol for 7 years and soft drinks for 10 years so beat that!!!

Soft drinks, or just Coke? :bellyroll: