Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The BEST Top Tier Gas For Our Cars (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131188)

Twin-Dragons 11-02-2018 01:06 PM

The BEST Top Tier Gas For Our Cars

Now before you say "not this thread again", yes, i understand, im sure this has been posted many times, but since our car has been out for 6 years now, it would be a good time to make a thread about which gas is better, since more people have experimented over the years..

That being said, for the people who live in the USA (not sure about canadian gas), which gas brand works better in our cars, in terms of better gas mileage, less knocking, smoother idles, and better performance.

And yes, i know, it's all the same gas, but im talking about which gas has the best additives...

I added a poll

Tcoat 11-02-2018 01:11 PM

Brand has little to with it and fuel is not consistent from region to region anyway. Just get the newest fuel you can find no matter what brand and all is good.

mav1178 11-02-2018 01:25 PM

you should read the list.

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

"Top Tier Gas" only means it has to meet a level of additives. Branding doesn't matter on the retail level.

Sapphireho 11-02-2018 01:29 PM

Here, all gas comes from the same refinery, and none of the brands add enough of anything to matter. For example, years ago Porsche did a study of fuel additives. They determined that the Chevron Techron was the best and actually worked, however, Chevron doesn't put enough of it in the fuel to do anything. If you want the cleaning of Techron you have to buy bottles of it (yes, they do sell it, and it is expensive) and add it.

Again, it is all the same. Buy the cheapest at the station that has turnover.

And "Top Tier" is a marketing gimmick.

stevesnj 11-02-2018 03:58 PM

Sunoco 93 since day 1

Akari 11-02-2018 04:06 PM

I usually just go for high-volume stations that are affordable.

Been running mostly Costco 92 (They do so much volume that they refill their tanks twice a day), have had 0 issues and my FI tuner was able to get a few more degrees of timing than normal.

If you experience any performance issues, knocking, or unsmooth idle, especially NA, then there's a pretty major problem with the fuel you're getting.

Spuds 11-02-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesnj (Post 3151403)
Sunoco 93 since day 1

Yeah, I've noticed less knock correction on Sunoco in MD-PA than others. Used to like Shell but half the time my IAM drops when running it. Could just be the local stations though. Not enough traveling data to see a trend elsewhere.

milanojess 11-02-2018 04:10 PM

All said and true, most first tier brands have consistent quality fuel, while no name brands often suffer with less performance, check engine when pushed, etc. ive seen these behavior with Costco, Valero, and other no name gas disguised as shell. The last one apparently took over an old shell station and pumped unknown gas. I was puzzled why I wasn’t able to reach expected speed until I returned to gas station next day in day light... went to gas up at nearby major gas and had no problem getting to top gear before turn 8 on willow springs.

arkanist 11-02-2018 04:12 PM

My tuner told me to go with Chevron, so I do.

wolffbite 11-02-2018 06:08 PM

The manual says 93, or 91 if that's all that is available so I go by highest octane available from stations with high fuel turnover.

So... Chevron 94 for me (ethanol free).

Bonburner 11-02-2018 06:15 PM

For my engine, I've felt Chevron being the smoothest.
But I don't fill them because they're so pricey.

I fill Shell (2nd best for my engine) because of their fuel rewards program giving me $0.05 off each fill and the occasional extra $0.25 from T-Mobile Tuesday. I've saved $100.16 ever since I've started ... 2 or 3 years ago?.

Impureclient 11-02-2018 06:22 PM

Since the last cricket fix I had done a couple years ago I've only ever ran Chevron 93 and the chirp has stayed gone so I'm sticking with that.

Decep 11-02-2018 06:38 PM

These are mass produced engines that aren't really anything special... any decent gas station where the gas doesn't sit for months should be fine.

Teseo 11-02-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffbite (Post 3151474)
The manual says 93, or 91 if that's all that is available so I go by highest octane available from stations with high fuel turnover.

So... Chevron 94 for me (ethanol free).

So jelly, how much per liter?