Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Floormats (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47035)

twag4 09-18-2013 11:45 AM

Floormats

Is it me, or does the FR-S have the most wear prone floor mats ever? I have had the car for a month and a half now, just over 2400 miles. Two weeks in my floor mats had significant wear. I go to the dealer where I purchased the car, and they said Toyota would only replace them if they were worn through. You gotta be kidding me with Toyota's history with floor mats and uncommanded acceleration. Anyway, I talked to the general manager, and he bought me a set of the OEM all weather mats. I like them, but would love to be able to use the carpeted mats, as they look great and are quite comfy. Little issues with a car I love. I shouldn't have bought a car that I would quickly grow emotionally attached to.:wub:

I did see the DIY for adding a wear pad to the carpeted mats, I guess I can try that.

Tt3Sheppard 09-18-2013 11:47 AM

Yea mine are already showing wear and tear of a 5 year old car.

frslee 09-18-2013 11:50 AM

Poor materials. I just replace mine with all weather mat.

WRB-DZA-BRZ 09-18-2013 06:58 PM

My BRZ floormats were worn through within 5k miles. Maybe I should call the dealership to get them replaced? Should that be covered under warranty?

kodyo 09-18-2013 07:18 PM

Yup, same thing. Got weathertechs after 2 months.

userjack6880 09-18-2013 07:25 PM

At the break-in transition. Seems that I too have broken in the carpet. Passenger side is starting to show it.

All weather would be nice, but damn, carpet is nicer. Only wish it wasn't bad. Any aftermarket options that look close to OEM?

At least the actual carpeting isn't wearing instead.

FnFast 09-18-2013 09:05 PM

I cleaned my carpet mats this weekend and noticed two spots specifically where I place my heels showing indentations. I did the old "ice cube" on carpet trick and it worked pretty good. But I saw a post here before, he sewed some rubber mats and it looked factory.

I will be getting weather tech soon for winter.

jimmillion 09-18-2013 09:54 PM

weather-techs were the best investment so far in the car. they protect far better then any floor mat and IMO they look amazing.

userjack6880 09-18-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmillion (Post 1221023)
weather-techs were the best investment so far in the car. they protect far better then any floor mat and IMO they look amazing.

They look fine, but I don't get my floors dirty and don't need the heavy-duty protection. I just want a carpeted floormat that won't wear as quickly. Last car had shorter pile, so the wear wasn't as noticeable.

BradBot 09-19-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by userjack6880 (Post 1221065)
They look fine, but I don't get my floors dirty and don't need the heavy-duty protection. I just want a carpeted floormat that won't wear as quickly. Last car had shorter pile, so the wear wasn't as noticeable.

If your concern is weight they're surprisingly light. I like the WeatherTechs for everyday use, and will switch to carpet for road trips where I'll probably end up barefoot.

Anaxilus 09-20-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmillion (Post 1221023)

This. First mod I did to the FRS, and I know how to blueprint an engine and turn a wrench. They look, fit, wear better and are surprisingly light. As in I thought the box they came in was empty. Durable and easy to clean, look better than carpet IMO (the laser cut version). They make the factory all weather mats look aftermarket.

Tromatic 09-20-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by userjack6880 (Post 1220731)
At the break-in transition. Seems that I too have broken in the carpet. Passenger side is starting to show it.

All weather would be nice, but damn, carpet is nicer. Only wish it wasn't bad. Any aftermarket options that look close to OEM?

At least the actual carpeting isn't wearing instead.

If the piece of carpet designed to protect the carpet sucks, imagine how bad the actual carpet is. Get the good stuff.

King Tut 09-20-2013 10:22 AM

Over a year and 25,000 miles, and my floormats still look great. You guys need to change your shoes or adjust how you position your heel.

Struckbylitenin 09-20-2013 10:58 AM

As I type this I await the arrival of my weathertechs.
I too saw noticeable wear from my right heel after only about a month of ownership.

Next month I'll order the trunk mat.