Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   TRD Quick Shifter Discussion (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68866)

FerraraZ 06-26-2014 11:15 AM

TRD Quick Shifter Discussion

So I just got back from the Toyota dealer doing my 22.5k mile warranty maintenance and I figured I would ask them to install the following TRD Quick Shifter:

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/trd-...-kit-1465.html

They wanted to charge me 260 at a 106 hour rate. I felt like that price was insanely high for assembling what is only 3 parts in the tiny box. The TRD Quick Shifter is not a complete assembly replacement so I am now thinking of taking this on myself. Has anyone installed this specific quick shifter and care to open a discussion of the assembly for this piece?

calibrz 06-26-2014 01:03 PM

do it yourself..takes aobut 15-30min top get all things done and finish.

Venator 06-26-2014 01:31 PM

Do it yourself, I did it in about 30min. Nothing difficult in the install

unsurety 06-26-2014 01:37 PM

Would recommend doing it yourself too. Also recommend having swivel extensions and/or sockets.

Only hard part was getting the stock boot off without ripping it.

FerraraZ 06-26-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venator (Post 1817344)
Do it yourself, I did it in about 30min. Nothing difficult in the install

Did you have any video or install guide that you followed?

calibrz 06-26-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerraraZ (Post 1817656)

it is pretty straight forward, unscrew all the stock parts and put the news TRD quick shifter parts on then screws all bolts again.

unsurety 06-26-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerraraZ (Post 1817656)

It comes with printed instructions on how to install it. If you have and are proficient with hands tools, it's not too bad.

Venator 06-26-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unsurety (Post 1817824)
It comes with printed instructions on how to install it. If you have and are proficient with hands tools, it's not too bad.

↑ this. The directions that they provide are pretty great. If you can install an aftermarket intake you can install this part.

Only thing that may be a pain is you need to be under the car...

Jyn 06-26-2014 05:17 PM

Don't you lose the TRD/dealer warranty if you install it yourself?

Venator 06-26-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyn (Post 1817865)
Don't you lose the TRD/dealer warranty if you install it yourself?

I told my dealer about it and they did not have an issue. They still fixed my shifter rattle tsb.. Their statement to me was that they wouldn't void my warranty from it but they will not warranty the part (quickshift) because I didn't buy it from a dealer.

Jyn 06-26-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venator (Post 1817888)
I told my dealer about it and they did not have an issue. They still fixed my shifter rattle tsb.. Their statement to me was that they wouldn't void my warranty from it but they will not warranty the part (quickshift) because I didn't buy it from a dealer.

That's what I meant haha. I look at TRD parts since they would be warrantied by the dealer if anything goes wrong with them. I have a TRD quickshifter, but still deciding whether I want to install it myself or just have the dealer do it next time I go in for an oil change.

Venator 06-26-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyn (Post 1817921)
That's what I meant haha. I look at TRD parts since they would be warrantied by the dealer if anything goes wrong with them. I have a TRD quickshifter, but still deciding whether I want to install it myself or just have the dealer do it next time I go in for an oil change.

If you bought it from a dealer and have a receipt then they will warranty it. At least that's what my dealer told me. But it won't void your drivetrain warranty if you install it, they just won't warranty the trd part.

charged86 06-26-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unsurety (Post 1817355)
Would recommend doing it yourself too. Also recommend having swivel extensions and/or sockets.

Only hard part was getting the stock boot off without ripping it.

yes re installing the stock boot is like putting on a condom in the dark, drunk, in a hurry , whilst falling down a flight of stairs. :eyebulge:

Venator 06-26-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charged86 (Post 1817933)
yes re installing the stock boot is like putting on a condom in the dark, drunk, in a hurry , whilst falling down a flight of stairs. :eyebulge:

I utterly and completely destroyed the stock boot since they give you a new one