Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Borla Unequal Length Header Review and DIY (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32101)

F1point4 04-01-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfsFang (Post 821127)
do you know if the car goes into limp mode due to no cat?

My car threw two CELs and neither time did it go into limp mode.

F1point4 04-02-2013 12:44 AM

More videos in the 2nd post

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olr3q_VuVro"]Post Borla UEL Exhaust Manifold (Header) Sound - YouTube[/ame]

stevo_12v 04-02-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfsFang (Post 821127)
do you know if the car goes into limp mode due to no cat?

I have had my header on for about 5-6 weeks now. Have had the same error code as Victor. Car does NOT go into limp mode though. But runs a little bit richer, and exhaust is much more throatier(for me anyway - im on 4-2-1 EL headers).

When the CEL is cleared(with ELM327's) and the car is running, mine will travel around 50km's before it throws another code. Btw, the car runs MUCH smoother if the CEL isn't on. But with the CEL on, the exhaust sounds quite good LOL.

Great write up @F1point4 as always. :thumbsup:

ATL BRZ 04-02-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo_12v (Post 835079)
I have had my header on for about 5-6 weeks now. Have had the same error code as Victor. Car does NOT go into limp mode though. But runs a little bit richer, and exhaust is much more throatier(for me anyway - im on 4-2-1 EL headers).

When the CEL is cleared(with ELM327's) and the car is running, mine will travel around 50km's before it throws another code. Btw, the car runs MUCH smoother if the CEL isn't on. But with the CEL on, the exhaust sounds quite good LOL.

Great write up @F1point4 as always. :thumbsup:

I thought the secondary O2 sensor didn't affect fueling; isn't it just for cat readiness??

swift996 04-02-2013 09:07 AM

I'm going to pick up a pack of gaskets just in case. I was at a shop yesterday and he had done 4 Borla header swaps. Said he was able to reuse the gaskets except for one customers who were all baked to the header. Since I'll be in my driveway alone, I'd rather just have them and replace them just in case. I don't want to end up in a bind.

Timmy_Jones 04-02-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1point4 (Post 821066)

I had a very small torque dip even with the supercharger. You can see that that little bump is smoothed out. 10 torques right there is healthy. A small amount of peak HP but that's fairly wash. I'm happy there is no more torque dip and there is a smallblock V8 sound.

Awesome write-up and thank you for the vids....you know better than to say this sounds like a smallblock V8. This sounds like a loud, boxer engine with a free flowing muffler and a cat to calm down the rasp. It sounds great....but not like a V8.

norsamerican 04-02-2013 11:14 AM

Seeing as the OEM headers had a heat shield attached. Are there any recommendations as to having aftermarket headers heat wrapped with something like DEI headerwrap?

Also has anyone tried using a CEL Defouler? Ive seen them sold online.

F1point4 04-02-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones (Post 835695)
Awesome write-up and thank you for the vids....you know better than to say this sounds like a smallblock V8. This sounds like a loud, boxer engine with a free flowing muffler and a cat to calm down the rasp. It sounds great....but not like a V8.

Heh, maybe i was out of line, I am just excited about the tone.

ATL BRZ 04-02-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norsamerican (Post 835713)
Seeing as the OEM headers had a heat shield attached. Are there any recommendations as to having aftermarket headers heat wrapped with something like DEI headerwrap?

Also has anyone tried using a CEL Defouler? Ive seen them sold online.

I plan on using one: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=282

The PPE EL header has one welded in, a few others here have used spacers with good results: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=78

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1point4 (Post 835717)

As you should be, it sounds awesome.

Timmy_Jones 04-02-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1point4 (Post 835717)

No problem....I remember way back I had a 'performance V6 car' and when my exhaust went on I swore it sounded like a V8...I got internet blasted and shunned.

Now owning a smallblock with Longtubes, 3" duals, off road X pipe and bullet mufflers I know what a V8 sounds like. There really is nothing like it, not to say other cars don't sound great.

swift996 04-02-2013 01:44 PM

Not to hijack the thread but I think this is helpful for others considering the headers.

I picked up the gasket set at my local dealer for $45 (both exhaust manifold and the overpipe gasket).

I'm going to test and see if there is any excess heat from the headers. My concern is mainly the water pump, as heat could rise quickly and warm it or the OEM rubber hose up. I'll be keeping an eye on the data logs to see if there is anything. They make a lot of solutions if there is an issue.

I heard the Borla UEL's yesterday paired with an overpipe, catless front pipe, and an invidia n1 catback. It sounded awesome. A little too loud for me but top quality. It had a lot more of a deep sound in person compared to the videos I've heard. I think a lot of people will be happy with these headers.

2SeeKU 04-03-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift996 (Post 836113)

I heard the Borla UEL's yesterday paired with an overpipe, catless front pipe, and an invidia n1 catback. It sounded awesome. A little too loud for me but top quality. It had a lot more of a deep sound in person compared to the videos I've heard. I think a lot of people will be happy with these headers.

That's my concern. I want the boxer rumble, just l don't want it to be too loud. My plan is to bolt these headers to the stock exhaust. Anyone have a vid of that?

Dezoris 04-03-2013 01:22 AM

Hey man as always thanks for this write up, pics and videos. I have a massive DIY and project video coming and if it was not for the cat issue I'd probably copy you on this one it sounds so good. I am sure the extra power you will have when you get the SC back will blows those welds! ;)

Anyways thanks!

swift996 04-03-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SeeKU (Post 837721)
That's my concern. I want the boxer rumble, just l don't want it to be too loud. My plan is to bolt these headers to the stock exhaust. Anyone have a vid of that?

I think you will be fine if you leave the rest of the exhaust stock. What I heard was essentially a wide open exhaust so no matter what it's going to be loud.