Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Rear Suspension Do Over I guess (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108799)

FNCrazy 07-25-2016 04:46 PM

Rear Suspension Do Over I guess

So I ran out of talent, coincidentally with all traction control off on my car with shitty tires, but really, I just lost talent. I crashed/wrecked/bumped my car a few days ago. Oversteer, countersteer, snap oversteer the other way into some fun little 60mph spins until I hit a curb square on the passenger side.

Shop got back to me on what is wrong. Basically needs to be replaced: two wheels, two tires, the rear subframe, along with my cut brake line, one shock (I'm having them put on RCE springs while they've got it torn down) rear sway bar, looks like a bunch of types of lateral link assemblies, rear sway bar, wheels and tires somehow will need to be replaced (I think they're only going to replace two).

So, MY QUESTION! If you had to remove and replace all those rear components, anything aftermarket you'd replace OE with while you were down there? I figured sway bar, springs, (shocks wouldn't necessarily be cost effective since they're only replacing one). And then wheels and tires if possible. What would you spend some money on to replace? Or is there nothing down there of consequence?

And I'd like to support forum vendors when at all possible of course.

Thanks again for all your help!

Jeff Higgins

Icecreamtruk 07-25-2016 04:54 PM

Im not an expert on aftermarket pieces by any means. But if they are going to replace only 1 shock, I'd go ahead and replace both. Even if you still put OEM back in. Shocks degrade over time and their dampinenig abilities diminish. Having a brand new shock on a corner with 3 worned down shocks elsewhere is going to give you uneven handling on right and left turns, possibly under acceleration (tho power is not something we have a ton of...).

You said you would be replacing springs with RCE, why not go ahead and get Bilstein b6 or something like that to go along with. It might even be a chance to go with coilovers if you ever planned on that down the road.

You car, your decisions of course, so dont dig too much on what people say and make your own conclusions. Be careful out there and dont let this bump, time to level up!

gramicci101 07-25-2016 04:55 PM

If I tracked my car, I would replace the LCAs, toe arms, and trailing arms with SPL products. Since I only daily drive my car, I'd get a cheaper LCA and OEM for the others. Get Whiteline diff carrier bushing inserts and maybe subframe bushing inserts.

When you replace the swaybar, what effect do you want it to have? More oversteer or understeer?

Make sure they inspect the CV joints and maybe inside the diff for damage. Axles are pretty strong when they're used properly, but they're not meant to be smacked right on the end like that.

FNCrazy 07-25-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramicci101 (Post 2712901)
If I tracked my car, I would replace the LCAs, toe arms, and trailing arms with SPL products. Since I only daily drive my car, I'd get a cheaper LCA and OEM for the others. Get Whiteline diff carrier bushing inserts and maybe subframe bushing inserts.

When you replace the swaybar, what effect do you want it to have? More oversteer or understeer?

Thanks! Well, I like oversteer, but this snap oversteer thing I wasn't fond of. I'll be replacing my tires with non-shitty ones, so I'd probably lean towards a touch more oversteer, and removing my traction control turn off buttons from the car and put in my garage. :)

strat61caster 07-25-2016 07:19 PM

The only thing worth upgrading back there is the rear lower control arm for camber adjustment. And I wouldn't bother if the front is at stock or stock-ish camber (read <-2 degrees).

I'd say save some serious cash and buy used parts but it sounds like it's too late for that. People dump their OE stuff that still has new car smell on it for peanuts around here.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107788
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104599
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103889

I've seen OE toe links and LCA's and other bits and bobs as well, just nothing recent.

Summerwolf 07-25-2016 07:25 PM

I would upgrade everything possible. Its going to be torn down and the car has an unclean history now, might as well put new suspension, good wheels / tires, adjustable suspension components and some polyurethane pieces. Check out "power by max" as they seem to have some low prices but everyone says they're good quality pieces. If you're already doing springs on all four corners might as well go even further.

Seen someone selling braided brake hoses too, might as well jump in to brake upgrades as well.

Jmo.

FNCrazy 07-25-2016 07:30 PM

I'm going with a mixture of whatever aftermarket I should get, brand new OEM, and there's a wrecked FR-S that had 4,000 miles opposed to my 27k, I'll use the used parts in some areas... Tires, required, going to spend a little on those to get really good ones. They're only springing for two OEM wheels, so I'm not sure how I'll swing new wheels.

All we know is.... He's called The Stig

strat61caster 07-25-2016 07:39 PM

Part of my response that I forgot: I can disassemble and change the rear springs in my car in about 1 hour with another pair of hands helping, it's not labor intensive to replace parts back there imo.

FNCrazy 07-25-2016 07:44 PM

Oh, my shop is switching stock springs for RCE springs and doing a performance alignment when it's all done.

Calum 07-25-2016 09:42 PM

The stock parts work just fine. After four years of owning my car, I've never seen a reason to upgrade the arms, links, or sway bar.

12mm camber bolts can get you camber adjustment for the rear.

A bigger sway bar will only cause more oversteer.

The only reason to upgrade the rims is astethics and extra width can lose steering feel.

Good tires, Yellows, and B6 dampers is all I would do.

renfield90 07-25-2016 10:45 PM

Uhh, how about buying some talent? Not digging at you, and I don't know what your talent level is, but bolting on more grip only means that you'll be going faster the next time you lose control.

Go spend some time/money on track days and autocross.

e1_griego 07-25-2016 11:04 PM

EESCC is local to you.

Next autox is Aug 5/6 at Willamette Pass.

edit: I'll be there if you need a helping hand (if it's your first autox).

FNCrazy 07-26-2016 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e1_griego (Post 2713158)
EESCC is local to you.

Next autox is Aug 5/6 at Willamette Pass.

edit: I'll be there if you need a helping hand (if it's your first autox).

I don't know what EESCC is (I'll look it up when I'm done posting), but an autox would be very cool! Not even necessarily to participate, at least to watch and dip a toe in.

We should definitely hook up there, pm me!

e1_griego 07-26-2016 01:26 AM

Emerald Empire Sports Car Club.

www.eescc.org

http://www.eescc.org/EESCC2016Schedule.cfm