Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Family Approved FRS (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71209)

Parappa 07-31-2014 03:20 PM

Family Approved FRS

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm from Vancouver BC, proud owner of a 2014 Whiteout FRS. First time keeping a car journal on a forum. After reading through all the posts thought it might be fun to give it a try.

Funny thing about the FRS is that everybody seems to love it....even wives and family. I have owned many 'sports' cars in the past (NSX, Eclipse, Prelude etc...) but none of them have been accepted like the FRS. There is something definately magical about this car haha.

Planning on customising this car like all the other members in this forum. Especially changing the wheels and lowering the car.

But...before that I would like to share the first mod....a nice baby seat that fits and a sticker!

vestal52 07-31-2014 03:23 PM

:party0030:

NickDC88 07-31-2014 03:26 PM

I've got a 4 year old and another on the way. I thought there was no way I could talk my wife into getting one. I was wrong. She loves it. Maybe not so much now that I spend all my money on it.

Shady195 07-31-2014 03:26 PM

While the back seats are totally useless for anyone of normal height over the age of 10, it works quite well for the young ones. My daughter is 5 and has JUST enough leg room without my wife being face planted in the dash if we're all in my car..

Both the wife and my daughter love it.. Totally a reasonalbe famly car so long as you dont have more than 2 kids over the age of 10 LOL

Jyn 07-31-2014 03:48 PM

Where is your NSX?

Parappa 07-31-2014 04:22 PM

Unfortunately I had to sell it when I moved to Tokyo for work (away for aprox 5 years) Now that I am back in town the FRS is my new hobby. It was a 91 NSX with 80,000 km on it. Great car! Maintenance at Acura was a bit pricey though.

Parappa 07-31-2014 05:25 PM

Enkei T6S Wheels Black

1 Attachment(s)
Not a big fan of the stock rims so looking to get something a bit more aggressive. Saw on the 1010 Tire site the Enkei T6S which look like the Kojin but with one more spoke. After reading as many posts as I can in this forum I think I am going with the T6S in black.

18 x 8.5 with 235/40 R18 Tires.

Spoke to a rep at Garage 5 in richmond and he recommended a square set up over staggered.

I really like the concave look of the wheel in the rear but I don't want that to get in the way of my overall judgement. Looks so nice!

Anyone have issues with staggered? Does it upset the balance of the car.

I will also be lowering with Eibach Pro Kit 1" springs....seems like better quality then Tein?

Would love to hear some opinions...Thanks

Clipdat 07-31-2014 05:53 PM

If you go for the 17x9 you will still get a decent amount of concavity.

Lavalover 07-31-2014 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have Enkei RSM9 rims (18") with MPSS 235/40 tires. Same weight and diameter as stock but better looking and more traction.

Parappa 08-01-2014 12:20 AM

Nice wheels, exact size I am looking at...is yours running at stock height? Any rubbing or issues?

Parappa 08-26-2014 02:16 PM

After reading all the threads on wheels, bouncing back and forth between staggered vs square setups. All I can say is a big thanks to this forum providing all this useful information.

Can't speak for all but as a guy with a young family I have a budget now for mods. The big and fun challenge was to find a setup that looks great (at least to me) and doesnt break the bank....the days of buying anything you want are over son! haha

The big choice was going staggered vs square....Rota RT5's or Enkei T6S? But I didnt love any of the colors. Seems like the most popular colors these days are Black, White, Gold or Silver....I am a big fan of gunmetal greys etc..

At the end I decided as much as I liked the staggered look...square was the way to go for the FRS.

Budget was $2500 for wheels, tires and springs including tax and labor.

Really excited to find a combination that finally worked:
XXR 527 Matte Bronze 18 x 8.75 +35
General G-Max 225 / 40 / 18
Eibach Pro Kit

Just ordered all the pieces and booked an appointment at Garage 5 in Richmond. Great service...ask for Adrian if you are local.

All ended up being aprox 2100 bucks which leaves room for a spoiler....stivo maybe?

Look forward to the install first week of Sept. I feel that this setup is a good bang for the buck, semi aggressive, good for daily driving, and looks better than stock.

Will post photos soon

Parappa 09-06-2014 02:48 AM

Tom's Tail Lights

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a set of Tom's taillights from a local FT86 Vancouver member this morning. So excited to put them on that I almost installed them in the underground parking near my work during my lunch break.

Parappa 09-06-2014 03:00 AM

2014 stock tail light gasket

2 Attachment(s)
Awesome, time to go install the tail lights in the underground parking. Thanks to all the DIY's about installing tail lights it was easy to prep all the tools needed. I don't know what the 2012 - 13 gaskets look like but have read there have been many problems with condensation.

Thought I would take a photo of the back of the 2014 gaskets so there is some reference to it.

The gasket does go all the way around like gasket ninja's, but thinner. The top part is sealed with some sort of adhesive.

Parappa 09-06-2014 03:13 AM

Installing the tail lights

4 Attachment(s)
I guess taking off the relay was the hardest part. I tried following the video but just ended up tugging the relay until it detached from the bracket. Then unclipped the relay and put on the new version and clipped it back to the bracket. No cuts on my hand but took a bit of patience and about half a beer.

The rest was simple. The bolts holding the stock lights were surprising loose. I have read that over tightening could crack the casing. I think the easiest way to relate..... it's like tightennig IKEA furniture. Finger tight and a hair more. But not too much. LOL

If you might feel intimated with this install, don't be. Its easier than building a desk unit from IKEA.

Love how they look, much more updated than the stocks. Very satisfied.

If there is condensation I will open it up and seal the Tom's gaskets with 3M black weather adhesive.