Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   bad driveline vibration when accelerating at low RPM (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126318)

Fuergrissa 03-21-2018 10:48 PM

bad driveline vibration when accelerating at low RPM

I recently replaced my throw-out bearing after the factory one had failed which involved removing the drive shaft and dropping the transmission. I replaced the trans oil at the same time.

After the work I am getting a severe vibration when accelerating at low RPM when the engine gets bogged. This is the only time the vibration is present but it is very severe. I know TOB's are a common job, has anyone encountered this before? Not excited to drop the trans again without knowing exactly what I'm looking for. I'm assuming something with the clutch or the DS carrier bearing but really don't know.

Thanks

EndlessAzure 03-22-2018 12:05 AM

Did you install an aftermarket lighweight flywheel/clutch kit?

Mr.ac 03-22-2018 12:14 AM

Chances are something is not torqued down properly.
Could be tranny mounts, drive shaft, who knows. It's one of those things where you just need to put a wrench and feel what's loose.

humfrz 03-22-2018 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuergrissa (Post 3061902)
I recently replaced my throw-out bearing after the factory one had failed which involved removing the drive shaft and dropping the transmission. I replaced the trans oil at the same time.

After the work I am getting a severe vibration when accelerating at low RPM when the engine gets bogged. This is the only time the vibration is present but it is very severe. I know TOB's are a common job, has anyone encountered this before? Not excited to drop the trans again without knowing exactly what I'm looking for. I'm assuming something with the clutch or the DS carrier bearing but really don't know.

Thanks

Welcome to the group, there, Fuergrissa .......... :clap:

So, you didn't have this vibration before you replaced the TOB .. ??

Did you take off the pressure plate and or replace the clutch disk .. ??

Did you do the work or did someone else do the work .. ??

Come back.

humfrz

Fuergrissa 03-23-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndlessAzure (Post 3061947)
Did you install an aftermarket lighweight flywheel/clutch kit?

No, they were not removed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac
Chances are something is not torqued down properly.
Could be tranny mounts, drive shaft, who knows. It's one of those things where you just need to put a wrench and feel what's loose.

You are probably right, this was my assumption

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz
Welcome to the group, there, Fuergrissa .......... :clap:

So, you didn't have this vibration before you replaced the TOB .. ??

Did you take off the pressure plate and or replace the clutch disk .. ??

Did you do the work or did someone else do the work .. ??

No, it wasn't present before. neither pressure plate nor clutch were removed, just pulled the trans off, replaced the TOB and retaining clips, greased the fork pivot (was squeaking), and reinstalled with new trans fluid.

I did the work.

I marked the DS alignment to the differential so it went back on the same way, but the front yoke may have gone into the transmission with a different orientation.

It may be a few weeks before I can put it back in the air and investigate, so I just wondered if anyone had some different ideas. I don't think it's a balance issue because it does not increase in intensity with RPM. and if it were a harmonic resonance it would occur at the same RPM during all operating conditions. The fact that it is only in a certain RPM and only a certain operating condition (under load) makes me think it is probably something mounted too rigidly or not rigidly enough. Checking all the bolts is probably to best way to figure it out, but if anyone has another idea I would love to hear it.

Thanks

humfrz 03-23-2018 08:53 PM

I'll summon ol @Ultramaroon ...... one of out transmission experts, to see if he has any input.

humfrz

EndlessAzure 03-23-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuergrissa (Post 3063049)
No, they were not removed

You are probably right, this was my assumption

No, it wasn't present before. neither pressure plate nor clutch were removed, just pulled the trans off, replaced the TOB and retaining clips, greased the fork pivot (was squeaking), and reinstalled with new trans fluid.

I did the work.

I marked the DS alignment to the differential so it went back on the same way, but the front yoke may have gone into the transmission with a different orientation.

It may be a few weeks before I can put it back in the air and investigate, so I just wondered if anyone had some different ideas. I don't think it's a balance issue because it does not increase in intensity with RPM. and if it were a harmonic resonance it would occur at the same RPM during all operating conditions. The fact that it is only in a certain RPM and only a certain operating condition (under load) makes me think it is probably something mounted too rigidly or not rigidly enough. Checking all the bolts is probably to best way to figure it out, but if anyone has another idea I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Ah, gotcha.

I have a similar issue when I lug the engine between 1k and 2.2k as well as when I'm engine braking from 2.6k down to 2k.

However, I changed my clutch and flywheel plus added a transmission bushing.

I'll keep an eye on on this thread too.

Ultramaroon 03-23-2018 10:07 PM

Do you hear it, feel it, or both?

How did you support the engine?

EndlessAzure 03-25-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3063094)
Do you hear it, feel it, or both?

How did you support the engine?

For my part, a little bit of both.

I don't recall supporting the forward part of the engine during the process

guybo 03-25-2018 10:19 AM

Dont assume its driveline. Low RPM vibrations are often an indication of an engine problem.

Ultramaroon 03-25-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndlessAzure (Post 3063433)
For my part, a little bit of both.

I don't recall supporting the forward part of the engine during the process

The engine and transmission together balance on the engine mounts. When separated the engine will flop forward pretty hard. If you didn't support it, the exhaust pipe must have kept things in place. Perhaps a heat shield was bent then? Also, the engine bottom cover can make a hell of a racket if the screws back out. Once they've been removed, it seems like they don't like to stay tight. I use blue loctite on them.

Just a couple ideas. Try to record it for us. It might help.

EndlessAzure 03-26-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3063499)
The engine and transmission together balance on the engine mounts. When separated the engine will flop forward pretty hard. If you didn't support it, the exhaust pipe must have kept things in place. Perhaps a heat shield was bent then? Also, the engine bottom cover can make a hell of a racket if the screws back out. Once they've been removed, it seems like they don't like to stay tight. I use blue loctite on them.

Just a couple ideas. Try to record it for us. It might help.

I'll try to get a recording this week.

I didn't remove the front aluminum undertray/shield so the engine may have had some minimal support during tbe process.

ermax 03-26-2018 01:03 PM

When I did my TOB I didn't support the front on the way off and spent almost 2 hours trying to get it off the lower studs. It wasn't until I said fuck it and pushed the jack aside and man handled it (not a good idea) that it came off. Once it was finally off I realized how far forward the engine tips which explained my difficulty getting it off. I supported the engine before putting it back on and WOW what a difference. I jacked it up enough and get it on the lower studs and then a single gentle push of the jack and the thing went right on. I could kick myself in the ass for skipping the front engine support.

Anyways, I feel sorry for anyone who does that job without jacking the front of the engine.

Ultramaroon 03-26-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3063826)
Anyways, I feel sorry for anyone who does that job without jacking the front of the engine.

After I get the back of the transmission separated, I wrap around the front of the engine and tie to the tower braces with a big fucking strap. :thumbsup: