Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Perrin Cold Air Intake w/o inlet hose? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94413)

golemslord 09-06-2015 04:05 AM

Perrin Cold Air Intake w/o inlet hose?

Hello, new member here :)

Will only installing the Perrin Cold Air Intake without the inlet hose make the "growl" sound? (Trying to save some money here). I read somewhere on the forum that it doesn't growl with only the CAI (no inlet hose)? Thanks

golfyankee2121 09-06-2015 10:47 AM

Purely a guess, but I would imagine it is the intake that creates the growl, and the aftermarket inlet tube just makes it louder or more noticeable because it doesn't have a resonator like the stock piece does.

-JB

humfrz 09-06-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golemslord (Post 2381831)
Hello, new member here :)

Will only installing the Perrin Cold Air Intake without the inlet hose make the "growl" sound? (Trying to save some money here). I read somewhere on the forum that it doesn't growl with only the CAI (no inlet hose)? Thanks

Welcome, golemslord, to the forum ..... :clap:

You could save even more money by just replacing the air filter with a free-er flowing air filter, for $40.

Yep, get some more "growl" and maybe an additional HP or two.

humfrz

Ashikabi 09-06-2015 07:33 PM

I have a drop in panel filter. Didn't change the noise. OP everyone will tell you panel filter so don't bother asking about intakes. I just had the same problem. They don't add power but do change the sound I hear. Any CAI should do. Heard from my tuner the Perrin intake heat soaks badly FYI

golemslord 09-07-2015 12:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. Is perrin drop in filter and inlet hose a good combination because seems like everyone is saying that from other threads. And will that combo make a better growl compared to stock?

Ashikabi 09-07-2015 01:17 AM

I personally don't know if the inlet hose does anything but look good, but the stock one looks awful rough to me. I would think it would very slightly increase performance. I doubt the filter or hose will change the sound. I would suggest exhaust if noise is what you're after. However I have heard the CAIs do sound good. Most of them replace the inlet hose so maybe there is something to it. Probably has something to do with the conical filters since that really seems to be the only way they differ from the stock airbox. There are a couple CAI for sale right now on this forum for a good price. I'd suggest getting one of those

golemslord 09-07-2015 02:38 AM

I kinda prefer the actual CAI rather than drop in haha, I guess it just makes me feel better....lol. But sigh...the shipping fees for Canada....$200 on amazon...

Aztec 09-07-2015 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golemslord (Post 2382449)
I kinda prefer the actual CAI rather than drop in haha, I guess it just makes me feel better....lol. But sigh...the shipping fees for Canada....$200 on amazon...

The "growl" is definitely because of the CAI. (And partially due to the elimination of all the resonators) I love the sound it makes!
What I would pair with the Perrin CAI is this: http://www.zetaperformance.com/engin...-included.html

It's alot cheaper than getting the perrin inlet hose and does the exact same thing. They're out of business and essentially listing everything at dirt cheap prices.

"growl" reference video
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sFx_lDeph8"]BRZ / FR-S OEM intake PERRIN Cold Air Intake Sound Compare - YouTube[/ame]

wil5bart 09-08-2015 02:32 AM

Aside from improving the sound, a CAI can improve throttle response.

golemslord 09-08-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aztec (Post 2382462)
The "growl" is definitely because of the CAI. (And partially due to the elimination of all the resonators) I love the sound it makes!
What I would pair with the Perrin CAI is this: http://www.zetaperformance.com/engin...-included.html

It's alot cheaper than getting the perrin inlet hose and does the exact same thing. They're out of business and essentially listing everything at dirt cheap prices.

"growl" reference video
BRZ / FR-S OEM intake PERRIN Cold Air Intake Sound Compare - YouTube

oh wow thats pretty cheap :) Will only the inlet hose do anything lol just wondering. And it definitely will fit with the perrin cai ? Sorry me rookie haha

EDIT: and the difference between inlet hose with noise generator and without it? does it make a difference in sound?

Bergen23 09-08-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golemslord (Post 2383211)
oh wow thats pretty cheap :) Will only the inlet hose do anything lol just wondering. And it definitely will fit with the perrin cai ? Sorry me rookie haha

EDIT: and the difference between inlet hose with noise generator and without it? does it make a difference in sound?

Zeta is dead.

As said before, just save your money and get a drop in filter. Unless you feel like burning money, of course

Aztec 09-08-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golemslord (Post 2383211)

I would say the inlet hose helps the flow, there is little to no sound difference between the sound generator and the straight curve hose.
I noticed better throttle response and a huge improvement in engine sound. It also does more than the people that just throw on a catback haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

golemslord 09-08-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aztec (Post 2383388)
I would say the inlet hose helps the flow, there is little to no sound difference between the sound generator and the straight curve hose.
I noticed better throttle response and a huge improvement in engine sound. It also does more than the people that just throw on a catback haha

What intakes are you running?

And also the inlet hose is only useful if I'm running perrin CAI or stock filter box? cause if I use Injen CAI for example, then it becomes useless right since it already provides the "inlet hose" section

Aztec 09-08-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golemslord (Post 2383685)
What intakes are you running?

And also the inlet hose is only useful if I'm running perrin CAI or stock filter box? cause if I use Injen CAI for example, then it becomes useless right since it already provides the "inlet hose" section

Most use some sort of inlet hose. I'm using the perrin CAI. It's the only intake that actually is pulling air from beyond the engine bay.
(Most intakes only pull air from the engine bay or use existing stock intake)

I'm using the CAI and a UEL header and I love the sound. The rest of the exhaust is stock except for the exhaust tips