Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   CANADA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Winter tire setup - thoughts&advice (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142618)

airdaddy 10-03-2020 02:34 AM

Winter tire setup - thoughts&advice

1 Attachment(s)
First winter with the BRZ, decided to go with switching between dedicated summer and winter tires.

-you guys think that these wheels will fit with no problem? i don't have brembos

-thoughts on the altimax arctics

-all in its around $880 including shipping, good price or nah

also im buying from wheelwiz.ca for those curious

DarkPira7e 10-03-2020 08:38 AM

I run 16" wheels, I don't know if those specifically will fit though. I have the altimax on my car, but they are a more open tread design- the ones I have are doing well enpugh. For that cost though, I'm sure there are better options.

Also look into the Hankook I*pike if you don't want to spend a lot.
Tires that will work better/worse depend on your demographic, too;

Deep snow/dirt roads- get tires with more spacing between tread blocks, this let's the tire dig in more and float less.

Pavement with only a little snow- tires with little spacing like the Blizzak or altimax model you have there will squeegee water off of road and ice to prevent traction loss.

RToyo86 10-03-2020 09:13 AM

I have a set of 16x7 +48 and they fit. According to wheel calculator 16x6.5" should clear.
https://www.ft86motorsports.com/wheelitfit/

I used a set of altimax arctics on my SX4 years ago. Probably a different variations/evolution but I was impressed with their performance for the price.

I got a set of Continental Vikingcontact7 for $134 a tire off 4tires which is an absolute steal. They retail everywhere else for $160 a tire. Pretty much won/top 3 in every category tested with other top Nordic tires including Hakka R3, ice zero FR, bizzak SW90, X-ice i3

soundman98 10-03-2020 10:00 AM

Looks good to me. Ran that setup for a few years, no complaints

HaXx 10-03-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdaddy (Post 3372482)
First winter with the BRZ, decided to go with switching between dedicated summer and winter tires.

-you guys think that these wheels will fit with no problem? i don't have brembos

that looks good man, ur in the right mindset, for winters you want the tallest sidewall you can get, and the narrowest tire to cut through snow to find pavement, not float on top. so 16x7 or whatever they are is great.

that said, you can prpbably get a set of used enkeis in 16x7 5x100 used on the facebook market for dirt cheap, then buy some rubber to put on them. i like having decent winter wheels, just because in my climate theyre on the car for months. and you dont have to spend nearly what you think to get a used set of enkeis, especially that small, and im sure if theyre dinged you wouldnt care, making them even more affordable

but yes, what you posted is an excellent winter setup, just dont knock used enkeis

Muskoka800 10-04-2020 11:07 AM

If tire life is a concern you may consider Michelin X-Ice 3.
They perform great (highly rated) and will last 30% longer than most winters.
You haven’t said what kind of winter mileage you’ll accumulate but the X-Ice may last one or two seasons longer.
I put a set on my work van (FWD Ford Transit) and have about 40,000 kl on them so far and they’ll easily do this upcoming winter.
And they’re amazing. Glad I choose them. I also ran them on a super-charged Yaris for many winter miles before the write-off.
Food for thought if you’re a high miler like me.

Tcoat 10-04-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdaddy (Post 3372482)

That is exactly the set up I have run for 6 winters. Even the same tires.
Very happy with it. It is a few dollars more than I paid but what could be expected in 6 years.

FLYFISHR 10-04-2020 11:31 AM

I bought my first set of winter tires and wheels (not steeliness) from PMC tire out of Quebec for about the same price. They came mounted and balanced plus free shipping into Ontario and Quebec. They have some nice looking wheels in the 130 dollar range. A lot better looking for not that much more when you get the mounting and balancing for free.

SUSPECT_BRZ 10-04-2020 07:22 PM

I ran that same tire for winter on a previous car and absolutely loved it. It was an affordable option and performed better than expected.

Tcoat 10-05-2020 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ (Post 3372840)
I ran that same tire for winter on a previous car and absolutely loved it. It was an affordable option and performed better than expected.

I was a bit nervous when my tire guy recommended it since at that price point I didn't think they would last long. He then told me that it is the main choice of the local police department and cab companies. When you think of the miles those guys rack up if it is good enough for them it will be fine for me.

RToyo86 10-05-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3372937)
I was a bit nervous when my tire guy recommended it since at that price point I didn't think they would last long. He then told me that it is the main choice of the local police department and cab companies. When you think of the miles those guys rack up if it is good enough for them it will be fine for me.

They're good value per dollar for the performance. I recall paying less than $600 tax in for my original set that was on sale.

I managed to grab the Conti's for $600($680-750 everywhere else) but I'm questioning the decision as I have never ordered tires online before.

sygfrid 10-06-2020 07:50 AM

How much snow & ice are you gonna see in your area?

Here in Vancouver where snow, slush, ice, & rain can all be seen in a day, the All-Weather (4-season) Nokian WRG's work great. I've tried it on stock wheels with 225/45 & I never experienced getting stuck in the icy snow but it's a bit tail happy in the wet on hard turns. Now, I have Michelin Alpin PA4 225/40/18, which are UHP winters made for sports car, on my heavier 18" TRD's. These are really grippy in the wet & never experienced fish tail in the same scenario as the WRG3. I've done snowy hill climbs on them too without any problems.

If you're gonna be seeing a lot of snow, Nokian Hakkapeliitta are popular especially in the Nordic areas of Europe & are available in Kal Tire.

Check out the different CURRENT winter tire reviews on YouTube or even this: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

thedollarbill 10-07-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sygfrid (Post 3373263)
How much snow & ice are you gonna see in your area?

Here in Vancouver where snow, slush, ice, & rain can all be seen in a day, the All-Weather (4-season) Nokian WRG's work great. I've tried it on stock wheels with 225/45 & I never experienced getting stuck in the icy snow but it's a bit tail happy in the wet on hard turns. Now, I have Michelin Alpin PA4 225/40/18, which are UHP winters made for sports car, on my heavier 18" TRD's. These are really grippy in the wet & never experienced fish tail in the same scenario as the WRG3. I've done snowy hill climbs on them too without any problems.

If you're gonna be seeing a lot of snow, Nokian Hakkapeliitta are popular especially in the Nordic areas of Europe & are available in Kal Tire.

Check out the different CURRENT winter tire reviews on YouTube or even this: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Debating to get Pilot Alpin 5's in 205 55 17... is this a Pilot Alpin recommendation???

anodic 10-07-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedollarbill (Post 3373788)
Debating to get Pilot Alpin 5's in 205 55 17... is this a Pilot Alpin recommendation???

I mean, it could be a recommendation, providing you want to take tire advice from maybe the only person in the world who UPSIZED their winter tires, going against the long running conventional wisdom of going narrower and on a smaller diameter wheel.