Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   (TSB) No More Crickets Under My Hood!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18384)

travace 09-27-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstans84 (Post 463260)
Unless I'm completely mistaken you shouldn't need to remove your intake to get the dealer to fix this. Since there is a TSB about it and it is a noted issue on our cars they can't claim that your intake caused the problem. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)

you are right but that doesnt stop dealers from being shady. why they would want to (dont they get paid for the labor?) but ive heard some crazy storys of dealers trying to pull the ol you put a sticker on so it voided your warranty BS line.

i have a few bolt on things sitting in my garage now. im just hanging out till i get the fix's

Texas BRZ 09-27-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechaghost (Post 462831)
Question is, do we need to change them out immediately or risk engine failure? The cricket sounds kinda grew on me ;P

Yup... I don't know about this... The so called chirp has really grown on me too. :wub:

:bellyroll: ;)

jstans84 09-27-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travace (Post 463289)
you are right but that doesnt stop dealers from being shady. why they would want to (dont they get paid for the labor?) but ive heard some crazy storys of dealers trying to pull the ol you put a sticker on so it voided your warranty BS line.

i have a few bolt on things sitting in my garage now. im just hanging out till i get the fix's

This is true, lucky for me though I have never heard a complaint from anyone about the service department at the dealership I got my car at.

dsgerbc 09-27-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstans84 (Post 463260)
Unless I'm completely mistaken you shouldn't need to remove your intake to get the dealer to fix this. Since there is a TSB about it and it is a noted issue on our cars they can't claim that your intake caused the problem. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)

I'd remove it. For example, Audi started flagging reflashed cars as modified during routine oil changes and later refusing doing any sunsequent TSB on manufacturer's dime. They started flaggin cars quetly more than a year ago, but only recently started refusing paying for repairs. I doubt that Toyota/Scion are doing this yet, and probably won't be for a while, but who knows.

Pake1 09-27-2012 10:45 AM

Does Subaru have these types of TSBs? Noticed the chirping in my vehicle as well.

Blue86 09-27-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas FR-S (Post 463293)
Yup... I don't know about this... The so called chirp has really grown on me too. :wub:

:bellyroll: ;)

Automotive equivalent of Stockholm syndrome?

:mad0259:

dsgerbc 09-27-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue86 (Post 463354)
Automotive equivalent of Stockholm syndrome?

:mad0259:

More likely he doesn't have the chirp, just the normal clicking.
Just for the record: here is chirping.

rmjjensen 09-27-2012 11:02 AM

NICE! I hope Subaru has a similar TSB notice and can fix it. So now I need this and the passenger window issue fixed. Also need them take note of the idle drop and some sound of a jar of marbles under my car when idling.

Got3n 09-27-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpicer (Post 462799)
fianlly the fix has been posted on toyota TIS , time to schedule your visit to the dealer!!!!

Woot, keeping for future records

russv 09-27-2012 11:28 AM

My car is in the affected early vin range, but I don't have the cricket chirp. Will this be replaced anyway or only if it makes the chirp?

Jayde 09-27-2012 11:33 AM

About time! Now to wait for Subaru to release theirs.

DaJo 09-27-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russv (Post 463415)
My car is in the affected early vin range, but I don't have the cricket chirp. Will this be replaced anyway or only if it makes the chirp?

I would probably wait it out; it could just be a bad batch.

Just enjoy the car now, and if it does finally chirp; you have the TSB to bring to the dealer.

I would only bring my car in the dealer if I absolutely must... The way I see it, Dealer could do mor harm to your new car than good. So if you have nothing wrong with your car, leave it... Unless it's an ECU update or a safety recall.

travace 09-27-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJoian (Post 463432)
I would probably wait it out; it could just be a bad batch.

Just enjoy the car now, and if it does finally chirp; you have the TSB to bring to the dealer.

I would only bring my car in the dealer if I absolutely must... The way I see it, Dealer could do mor harm to your new car than good. So if you have nothing wrong with your car, leave it... Unless it's an ECU update or a safety recall.

this man speaks the truth.... you might end up like my car with scratches and dents

CharlieChaos 09-27-2012 12:04 PM

Here is my question chirp or not should I go have this done if I fall in the vin range.

I do not notice a chirp and then sometimes I think I do won't lie I'm half deaf so I don't know if it's my mind or the car half the time.