Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tracking your 86 in Texas (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91630)

Jonsey 07-14-2015 05:07 PM

Tracking your 86 in Texas
 
I thought it would be nice to have a track thread for the locals to discuss events, share videos or whatever. Perhaps it could help facilitate doing events together, which is always more fun. Had fun meeting a few members at MSR Cresson this weekend with Drivers Edge.


I try to get out to the track once or twice a month and would love to meet more 86ers with similar interests.

MokSpeed 07-14-2015 06:09 PM

I'm a noob driver. If anything I would go to spectate. The closest thing I get to tracking is parking lot donuts in rain/ice.

The Slow One 07-15-2015 01:57 AM

Some the Houston 86 Club usually track, but mainly me, @DaiTT500 , and @Kuri track around here. There's plenty of members that are starting to though.

Kuri 07-15-2015 11:08 AM

Yup

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/302/1...76661925_z.jpg11025201_10152618847826513_792007411900048461_n by Jason Lam, on Flickr


Me and @The Slow One

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/314/1...4431532d_z.jpgtrackdaybroforcharities_0704_0044 by Jason Lam, on Flickr


https://farm1.staticflickr.com/432/1...f9c4bcb6_z.jpgtrackdaybroforcharities_0704_0031 by Jason Lam, on Flickr

MSR Houston :)

Ramster 07-15-2015 11:55 AM

I'm down to join in to this conversation. I've gone up to eagles canyon twice now, looking to do MSR this fall. Last time I went out to the track was a little over a year ago though.

Jonsey 07-15-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuri (Post 2321884)
Yup

MSR Houston :)



What organizations do you guys typically run with? I mainly run with Drivers Edge, NASA and on member days at MSR-C.

DaiTT500 07-15-2015 12:27 PM

We also run with the driver edge when they come to Texas World and MSR Houston. I've been to a couple of NASA events, we run Chin Motorsports, couple of the members days at MSRH. I myself have ran with the porsche club and performance driving school for Texas World. @The Slow One and I are in the Yellow group for Drivers Edge. I tried to check ride into red group the last event but dumb ass me messed with the suspension on the car and spun out hard. May attempt another check ride next event.

Kuri 07-15-2015 12:38 PM

Yup. Driver's Edge and Chin Motorsports for me ^

Jonsey 07-15-2015 01:25 PM

Nice, I just moved up to red with Drivers Edge last weekend. I need to make it down to Houston for one of their events soon.

Ramster 07-15-2015 01:26 PM

Have you guys had any experience with Apex? I was thinking about maybe trying them out.

Jonsey 07-15-2015 01:47 PM

I have not. Have a buddy who ran one of their days at MSR-C and said it was pretty decent, although he did not feel like the run groups were as well sorted.

Kuri 07-15-2015 02:37 PM

Dang... I just got moved to Blue Solo last month :D

14stu 07-15-2015 03:24 PM

Just did my second Track Night in America at MSR-C, I'd recommend it for everyone.

videos:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzWF0QqZ-1s"]MSR Track Night Final Session - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spuwUeWSutk"]MSR Track Night in America 1st session - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnwJp-7DDUw"]Session 1 Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Jonsey 07-15-2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaiTT500 (Post 2321993)
We also run with the driver edge when they come to Texas World and MSR Houston. I've been to a couple of NASA events, we run Chin Motorsports, couple of the members days at MSRH. I myself have ran with the porsche club and performance driving school for Texas World. @The Slow One and I are in the Yellow group for Drivers Edge. I tried to check ride into red group the last event but dumb ass me messed with the suspension on the car and spun out hard. May attempt another check ride next event.



That's frustrating.


What suspension are you running on your car? Other significant mods? Also, would love to see some MSR-H videos if you have some. would be nice to see the lines before I make it down there. I did TWS for the first time with NASA in April and am hoping to run it at least once more this year, probably with Drivers Edge.

DaiTT500 07-15-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsey (Post 2322499)
That's frustrating.


What suspension are you running on your car? Other significant mods? Also, would love to see some MSR-H videos if you have some. would be nice to see the lines before I make it down there. I did TWS for the first time with NASA in April and am hoping to run it at least once more this year, probably with Drivers Edge.


I have the ohlins road and track coilovers. The last time i was out on track I had just installed the driveway labs 5" splitter and man did it create down force! I had no wing to even it out and so at the end of a big carousel turn the rear end would just come around. Well on my check ride I wanted to create a plowing affect so i wouldn't over steer and so it made it even worse when I loosen the rear dampers up. On my check ride with the instructor, I spun out at around 80mph and one of my intake hoses popped off. I had to go in for the session and miss the rest of my check ride.

I have a Jackson Racing Supercharger, AP racing sprint kit and now a voltex rear wing as notable mods.

I've been in yellow for a while and most of the time I am one of the top 3 fastest in the group. While I had a lot of fun for the longest time I have been in yellow, I want to get into Red so I can push myself even more to go faster and run with faster pace people.

DaiTT500 07-15-2015 09:18 PM

Tracking your 86 in Texas
 
[ame]http://youtu.be/Et0h8g_VB_4[/ame]

This is the only recent video I had that was really fun chasing a Racecar ZR1 Corvette. That car was pure fast horsepower monster but I held onto braking the very last second to gain on him into each corner. This day was pretty fun.

Jonsey 07-15-2015 09:36 PM

Hahaha, nice video. I know that car as well. He would simply crush me on the straights but took him quite a while to really get away. This was the last weekend on that set of tires and they really liked to tell you about it.


[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9s9-Ohc56E"]MSR Cresson Drivers Edge 3 29 Third Session (Yellow) - YouTube[/ame]

DaiTT500 07-15-2015 09:39 PM

He's a really nice guy. I enjoy running with him. We would trade back and forth passes a lot that weekend. What tires are you on? Whats your car setup?

Jonsey 07-15-2015 10:09 PM

Stock motor, 235/40/17 Direzza ZII Star Specs (was on 225/45/17 Potenza RE11As in the video). Koni yellow shocks, swift spec r springs, raceseng camber plates, SPL rear lower control arms and toe links, Carbotech xp10 pads, FT86 Speed Factory front splitter (w/race upgrades) and Driveway Labs Type 1 rear diffuser (switching out for FT86 Speed Factory rear diffuser), few bushings in the rear and some other small stuff.


I never got to actually meet him, but I feel like most of the people at the Drivers Edge events are really nice. I have made some good friends.

The Slow One 07-15-2015 10:16 PM

Dang, looks like I need to just keep at it on my Dunlop Z2s, haha

Jonsey 07-15-2015 10:27 PM

Here is my current best lap at MSR on the 1.7CCW, which I was really surprised by the time. I have been really impressed with the ZIIs so far but will likely move up to 245 Rivals S or Potenza RE71Rs next. Although it is tough not to consider R comps now.


[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7hgMSMv35w"]MSR Cresson 1.7ccw FR-S Personal Best - YouTube[/ame]

Griever423 07-16-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsey (Post 2322800)
Here is my current best lap at MSR on the 1.7CCW, which I was really surprised by the time. I have been really impressed with the ZIIs so far but will likely move up to 245 Rivals S or Potenza RE71Rs next. Although it is tough not to consider R comps now.


MSR Cresson 1.7ccw FR-S Personal Best - YouTube

Very impressive time for being on street tires.

GSpeed 07-18-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsey (Post 2322800)
Here is my current best lap at MSR on the 1.7CCW, which I was really surprised by the time. I have been really impressed with the ZIIs so far but will likely move up to 245 Rivals S or Potenza RE71Rs next. Although it is tough not to consider R comps now.


MSR Cresson 1.7ccw FR-S Personal Best - YouTube

Wait, was that a 1:25.8? Did I read that right? Nice work. We're still trying to break into the 26s, but we're about to throw on some new coilovers that should get us there.

Hey, you track people. We're thinking about hosting a meet at the shop, I'd love to have as many of you track people there as possible. User Shneegle is coordinating it, I think he's the guy that does the state-wide drives and whatnot.

mx5 2nr 07-21-2015 01:05 PM

Hey guys, just trying to get in on the conversation. I tracked my FRS for the 1st time at Harris Hill last Friday. Last time I was on a track was about 12 years ago in my 1st Miata (at MSR Cresson), so last Friday was more of a re-learning session.


The staff at Harris Hill mentioned that there's a couple of FRS/BRZ guys that come out regularly, wondering if they are on here?

flowmage 07-21-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx5 2nr (Post 2328963)
Hey guys, just trying to get in on the conversation. I tracked my FRS for the 1st time at Harris Hill last Friday. Last time I was on a track was about 12 years ago in my 1st Miata (at MSR Cresson), so last Friday was more of a re-learning session.


The staff at Harris Hill mentioned that there's a couple of FRS/BRZ guys that come out regularly, wondering if they are on here?

I've been out for 3 HPDEs out at Harris Hill, always had a great time. That probably doesn't qualify me as a regular, but I try to get out there wherever I can.

TEWwild 07-21-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx5 2nr (Post 2328963)
Hey guys, just trying to get in on the conversation. I tracked my FRS for the 1st time at Harris Hill last Friday. Last time I was on a track was about 12 years ago in my 1st Miata (at MSR Cresson), so last Friday was more of a re-learning session.


The staff at Harris Hill mentioned that there's a couple of FRS/BRZ guys that come out regularly, wondering if they are on here?

I'm out there 3-4 times per month, usually during the week due to my schedule, may get out there this weekend though if everything works out...
Tim

mx5 2nr 07-22-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowmage (Post 2328978)
I've been out for 3 HPDEs out at Harris Hill, always had a great time. That probably doesn't qualify me as a regular, but I try to get out there wherever I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEWwild (Post 2329454)
I'm out there 3-4 times per month, usually during the week due to my schedule, may get out there this weekend though if everything works out...
Tim



Hey Tim, I met you out at a few C&C events in San Antonio last year.


Guys, let me know when you head over there, I'd love to do a follow behind and see what line you guys take & pick your brain, or do a ride along. I have a work event on Saturday, but I'm thinking I may head out there sometime Sunday for a few laps. I live like 2 exits down from the track & if I can get out of work commitments early enough I possibly could make it out there during the week, later afternoon.

Jonsey 07-22-2015 11:35 AM

How is Harris Hill? I have not heard much about.

Scottemad123 07-22-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsey (Post 2330364)
How is Harris Hill? I have not heard much about.

Still waiting to use my class session there, just so much crap going on (buying house, work, yadda yadda) Also kinda scared to go in texas heat without an oil cooler.

mx5 2nr 07-22-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsey (Post 2330364)
How is Harris Hill? I have not heard much about.


I've only been there once so far, but it's a pretty quick fun track. It's quite a bit more bumpy in comparison to MSR Cresson, but my memory is hazy on MSR - I did my last laps there like 12-something years ago. The staff is awesome, though. There's runoff room for days, and there's a nice elevation change. Like most tracks, if you get a chance to run it, do it.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottemad123 (Post 2330378)
Still waiting to use my class session there, just so much crap going on (buying house, work, yadda yadda) Also kinda scared to go in texas heat without an oil cooler.


I completely understand. I knowingly purchased a home within 15 minutes of the track, but it took a year for me to get openings in my schedule to get some track time in. As far as the heat, I was scared as well, but I did multiple 20+ minute sessions and my temp gauge didn't fluctuate. IIRC, the ambient temps were in the low to mid 90's at the time.

TEWwild 07-22-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx5 2nr (Post 2330308)
Hey Tim, I met you out at a few C&C events in San Antonio last year.


Guys, let me know when you head over there, I'd love to do a follow behind and see what line you guys take & pick your brain, or do a ride along. I have a work event on Saturday, but I'm thinking I may head out there sometime Sunday for a few laps. I live like 2 exits down from the track & if I can get out of work commitments early enough I possibly could make it out there during the week, later afternoon.

I thought I recognized your user name... Looks like I will be there this Sat. til about 5:30, if anything changes, and it may, I'll let you know.

As far as Temps go, I highly recommend an oil cooler. If you don't have one, get an app or something to monitor oil temp, if pushing hard, you can get oil Temps in the 270-280 range in about 4 laps.... without your water temp fluctuating much at all... I ended up replacing my DI seals in November of last year after running hard all summer... Can't say for sure it was temp related but.... I have since installed an oil cooler.... Gotta get back to work, any questions, let me know.

Tim

Scottemad123 07-23-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx5 2nr (Post 2331209)
I've only been there once so far, but it's a pretty quick fun track. It's quite a bit more bumpy in comparison to MSR Cresson, but my memory is hazy on MSR - I did my last laps there like 12-something years ago. The staff is awesome, though. There's runoff room for days, and there's a nice elevation change. Like most tracks, if you get a chance to run it, do it.





I completely understand. I knowingly purchased a home within 15 minutes of the track, but it took a year for me to get openings in my schedule to get some track time in. As far as the heat, I was scared as well, but I did multiple 20+ minute sessions and my temp gauge didn't fluctuate. IIRC, the ambient temps were in the low to mid 90's at the time.

I think I'm going to use it as a reward at this point, get the new house cleaned up and move in, then I'll use it to do something I've been wanting to do for a while.

Jonsey 07-29-2015 01:07 AM

Anyone else signed up for the Drivers Edge event at MSR Cresson in September?

DaiTT500 07-31-2015 02:05 AM

Sign up for tws in november!

alucard7755 07-31-2015 10:54 AM

Any of you guys planning to do the Track night in America event on August 11th?
http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/e...torsport-ranch

Jonsey 07-31-2015 10:54 AM

I have a calendar reminder set for the day we can register

14stu 07-31-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alucard7755 (Post 2341709)
Any of you guys planning to do the Track night in America event on August 11th?
http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/e...torsport-ranch

Chase and Nicole are going, I might if I get back from South Dakota in time.

GSpeed 07-31-2015 08:03 PM

I'll be there (at least for the first half) to meet people.

Jake

alucard7755 08-13-2015 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14stu (Post 2342350)
Chase and Nicole are going, I might if I get back from South Dakota in time.

This was a complete blast! We'll hafta coordinate a CStreet Gang appearance at one of these. :burnrubber:

mx5 2nr 08-14-2015 09:48 AM

Hey guys, FWIW I'm planning on heading to Harris Hill Saturday morning, been a rough week, need to blow some steam, lol...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.