Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Toyota GT86 CS-R3 -- now FIA homologated and eligible for WRC (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95677)

Racecomp Engineering 10-21-2015 01:20 PM

Toyota did have a pretty strong WRC presence in the 90's...until they got caught cheating. Cool to see them back in it now at least in some form.

Subaru is very involved with global rallycross as well as rally here in the US. And privateer teams around the world.

- Andrew

BigFatFlip 10-21-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 2427115)
Toyota did have a pretty strong WRC presence in the 90's...until they got caught cheating. Cool to see them back in it now at least in some form.

Subaru is very involved with global rallycross as well as rally here in the US. And privateer teams around the world.

- Andrew

In competitive racing, everybody cheats one way or another, its just the ones that get caught who get penalised. Subaru never abandoned rallying (hence their ongoing support to privateers, global rallyx's and rally America), its just that the WRC changed its rules to encourage short wheelbase, small displacement turbo charged cars.

Happy to see Toyota in the game either way. With Tommi Makinen heading up their effort and participating in a couple of divisions( bringing the 86 and the Yaris), they are looking pretty serious. There are some rumors that they are trying to bring Peter Solberg in as well as a Dakar effort.

mav1178 10-21-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Toyota did have a pretty strong WRC presence in the 90's...

Yup, I was lucky enough to see the TRD ST205 WRC car when I was Yokohama last month on a visit to TRD HQ.

Hanakuso 10-21-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

- Andrew

I always thought they left so they can join F1

Bristecom 10-21-2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDinkleman (Post 2427049)
I dunno... If you go back to the 70s, Toyota and Nissan (Datsun) built their international reputations on rallying in events such as Paris-Dakar. In the US, since rallying was not as popular (or even discussed), they focused on circuit racing. Subaru, as far as I can remember, didn't really start rallying/racing until the Audi Quattro showed that AWD was superior to RWD off-road.

Yeah, I guess if you go back to the pre-AWD rally days, that was the case. And Toyota did have good AWD rally cars too up until 99 when they dropped out. But still... I'm more surprised at Subaru focusing more on circuit. Of course, now a day, WRC class is such a stupid, boring formula, I can see why - 1.6L, limited technology, highly modified chassis not based on road version... it's like, what's the point?

Shark_Bait88 10-22-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristecom (Post 2427731)
Yeah, I guess if you go back to the pre-AWD rally days, that was the case. And Toyota did have good AWD rally cars too up until 99 when they dropped out. But still... I'm more surprised at Subaru focusing more on circuit. Of course, now a day, WRC class is such a stupid, boring formula, I can see why - 1.6L, limited technology, highly modified chassis not based on road version... it's like, what's the point?

Well the really fun/crazy classes, GroupB, got eliminated because too many people died (both drivers and spectators). But yeah, it would be cool to see a bit more variety in WRC. That's why I love seeing cars like this GT86. Also why I love grassroots rallying. The array of cars you'll see at a Rally America event is awesome.

Racecomp Engineering 10-22-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatFlip (Post 2427127)
In competitive racing, everybody cheats one way or another, its just the ones that get caught who get penalised. Subaru never abandoned rallying (hence their ongoing support to privateers, global rallyx's and rally America), its just that the WRC changed its rules to encourage short wheelbase, small displacement turbo charged cars.

Happy to see Toyota in the game either way. With Tommi Makinen heading up their effort and participating in a couple of divisions( bringing the 86 and the Yaris), they are looking pretty serious. There are some rumors that they are trying to bring Peter Solberg in as well as a Dakar effort.

I agree with everything except the first line. There's pushing the boundaries and maybe interpreting the rules differently, and then there's the turbo restrictor that they designed. Doesn't matter now though. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanakuso (Post 2427177)
I always thought they left so they can join F1

That actually was more of it I think. They did get back to WRC with their badass Corollas for a few years after the cheating ban. But then they focused on F1 and also LeMans with the GT-One.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 2427142)
Yup, I was lucky enough to see the TRD ST205 WRC car when I was Yokohama last month on a visit to TRD HQ.

Crap, I should have done that when I was there!

- Andrew

MrDinkleman 10-22-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristecom (Post 2427731)
...Of course, now a day, WRC class is such a stupid, boring formula, I can see why - 1.6L, limited technology, highly modified chassis not based on road version... it's like, NASCAR

LOL. Fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 (Post 2428080)
Well the really fun/crazy classes, GroupB, got eliminated because too many people died (both drivers and spectators). But yeah, it would be cool to see a bit more variety in WRC. That's why I love seeing cars like this GT86. Also why I love grassroots rallying. The array of cars you'll see at a Rally America event is awesome.

Ah, yes. Group B. Don't forget the homologation rules that required 500 (?) cars be sold. I remember all those homologation specials like the Renault R5 Turbo available to the average (rich) Joe...

Like you said, rallying started really getting interesting with those cars. And, RWD rally cars are much more fun to watch than AWD and FWD rally cars. Hope this does well in racing so that more manufacturers will join in...

icybrzzz 10-22-2015 06:16 PM

Nameless has a pretty bad ass rally car :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxB2PCx_lgs"]Nameless Performance GT86 Drive-By Shots - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPyNXKY_cB0"]Nameless Performance Rally team at the Seed9 Rally in Jean, NV - YouTube[/ame]

MrDinkleman 10-22-2015 09:51 PM

I just noticed the flat face, rally/aero wheels on the TMG car. Looks pretty good; I wonder if MkIII Supra wheels would look as good. Or the Ronal R50. I do know those Ronals are heavy, though...

Draco-REX 11-02-2015 07:56 PM

My fiancee saw the picture on the front page and asked: "Why is that car painted like a luchador?"

Now cannot unsee...

Futaba 01-17-2016 05:50 PM

Would love to see an 86 with the old ST185 Celica's Castrol red and green rally design.

http://www.toyotarally.co.uk/cars/celica.jpg