Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Smell of burning oil (I think) from tail pipe (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147701)

ptabred 11-23-2021 07:34 PM

Smell of burning oil (I think) from tail pipe

Hey guys I just recently purchased a 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited manual transmission with around 61,000 kms. I had the car inspected by a mechanic shop when I bought it and they told me that the car's oil was low and that it could perhaps be leaking. I haven't noticed any leaks from the car and I had the oil changed at a shop a few days ago and they told me that the car was in perfect condition and there was no leakage of any kind. Today I drove over a really bad bump on the highway and when I got home I noticed a burning oil type smell coming from the exhaust. I couldn't smell it from the engine bay as it was coming from the back of the car. I will be monitoring the smell and oil levels to see if anything abnormal pops up. I was thinking maybe some oil was shook around the car and may have seeped through from somewhere as I went over the bump. I wasn't driving the car particularly hard either. This is the first time I have noticed the smell. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

NoHaveMSG 11-23-2021 07:50 PM

Check the front timing cover. Very common that they leak from there, the valve cover, or the avacs solenoids on the timing cover. Also possible they spilt oil during the change and the header runs right under the engine.

JohnH 11-23-2021 10:54 PM

welcome from another BC guy. Funny thing, my car was brand new out of the showroom, and I would sometimes smell a bit of oily/burning smell. I am a professional tech and I cannot find anything wrong with it, nor does it always happen. With my car I suspect it was just some sort of packing grease/oil on the exhaust. Some sort of corrosion inhibitor kind of thing. It doesn't do it anymore

alex87f 11-24-2021 01:04 PM

Check the triangular plate at the back of the passenger-side head. Manual 86's tend to have a small drip there, which leaks right onto the header (or the overpipe?).

Rub your finger at the bottom of the plate, if there's oil clean it and re-test a couple of days later.

You can either purchase aftermarket plates with a gasket (should be about $100), or re-seal the existing plate with a heat- and oil-resistant sealant.

ptabred 11-24-2021 05:30 PM

I checked out the cam plate cover and it looks clean. I also checked the timing cover and there didn't seem to be any oil residue around. I'm gonna monitor the oil levels and the smell and see if it happens again. I have no idea what it could be. I've never seen any oil spots underneath the car either.

Tcoat 11-25-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptabred (Post 3483920)
Hey guys I just recently purchased a 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited manual transmission with around 61,000 kms. I had the car inspected by a mechanic shop when I bought it and they told me that the car's oil was low and that it could perhaps be leaking. I haven't noticed any leaks from the car and I had the oil changed at a shop a few days ago and they told me that the car was in perfect condition and there was no leakage of any kind. Today I drove over a really bad bump on the highway and when I got home I noticed a burning oil type smell coming from the exhaust. I couldn't smell it from the engine bay as it was coming from the back of the car. I will be monitoring the smell and oil levels to see if anything abnormal pops up. I was thinking maybe some oil was shook around the car and may have seeped through from somewhere as I went over the bump. I wasn't driving the car particularly hard either. This is the first time I have noticed the smell. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

It is a strong possibility that they spilled a bit removing the filter or refilling. Just a couple of drops off the old filter or the end of a funnel can cause enough smoke to smell. The timing is right.

soundman98 11-25-2021 09:48 AM

once is an anomaly, repeated times is a pattern. i wouldn't worry about it. this car is relatively easy to fill, but some of my previous vehicles, i've spilled oil while refilling, and it'll take a couple weeks to burn it off due to my limited drive times.

check the level from time to time, enjoy the car, sometimes watch behind teh car on hard launches for blue smoke. as long as nothing significant appears, i wouldn't worry about it.

Ultramaroon 11-25-2021 03:32 PM

All good stuff. As long as there's oil on the dipstick, you're safe. As long as it's between the marks, you're golden.

humfrz 11-27-2021 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptabred (Post 3483920)

Hell, back in the day, when people smoked in cars, we wouldn't notice a little oil burning off the engine - :iono: right @Tcoat?

:burnrubber:

Tcoat 11-27-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3484668)
Hell, back in the day, when people smoked in cars, we wouldn't notice a little oil burning off the engine - :iono: right @Tcoat?

You mean like yesterday?

Ultramaroon 11-27-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3484725)
You mean like yesterday?

Exhale BEFORE you get in the car.

humfrz 11-28-2021 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3484838)
Exhale BEFORE you get in the car.

You ain't no fun - :iono:

Boomerang 11-28-2021 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3484668)

yep

https://storage.googleapis.com/hippo...5ff184-800.jpg

soundman98 11-28-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomerang (Post 3484866)

the backfires were a little more potent in that arrangement.

i can see how automotive regulations quickly moved the exhaust to behind the driver position.