Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   chatter wipe chatter wipe (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137189)

soundman98 10-06-2019 12:07 AM

chatter wipe chatter wipe

anyone else have issues with the wipers chattering? i've adjusted(ie; carefully twisted with an adjustable wrench) the arms now so they chatter going up, but wipe smooth going back down. can't seem to get them to wipe smoothly in both directions.

only 'mods' so far is a set of bosch icon wiper blades, and i aquapel'd the windshield from the first week i got the car in '14.

i've been considering using hose clamps on some of the spring coils to tighten up the arms..

anyone else have any suggestions? the chattering is getting on my nerves.

daskaman 10-06-2019 03:25 PM

Chatter is from the wipers and the hydrophobic coating fighting each other.
If any left over aquapel/rain-x, apply a small amount to a rag and running it up and down the blade that is contact with the window.

Chatter should cease

Ultramaroon 10-06-2019 03:41 PM

....edit NVM... Have you twisted them to the point where they chatter going down? Are the Bosch frames hastily-molded or sloppy?

humfrz 10-06-2019 04:35 PM

Bubba says to take some alcohol and clean all that crap off the windshield, then, go buy new wipers (arms and all).

(this is one of Bubba's better suggestions - ;))

humfrz for Bubba

soundman98 10-06-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3264385)
....edit NVM... Have you twisted them to the point where they chatter going down? Are the Bosch frames hastily-molded or sloppy?

they originally chattered going down, i tweaked the arms so now they chatter going up, but wipe smooth going back down.

soundman98 10-06-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3264395)
Bubba says to take some alcohol and clean all that crap off the windshield, then, go buy new wipers (arms and all).

(this is one of Bubba's better suggestions - ;))

humfrz for Bubba

i always clean the windshield with stoners invisible glass, which i believe is alcohol-based.

honestly, i used to use phaze glaze on the windshield for the water beading effect. but i've never had a car with wiper chattering issues like this.

ELLSSUU 10-06-2019 08:14 PM

Get some Bar Keepers Friend and clean your windsheild thoroughly.

I had really bad chatter on a Toyota SUV. New blades, wipers and tweaking never helped. BKF every other wash and the chatter is gone. I don't use RainX or anything else anymore.

DarkPira7e 10-06-2019 08:35 PM

Make sure to clean your blades themselves! When this starts happening, I assume it's because the rubber on the blades has hardened into a bent position and skips when going against that direction.

Replacing the blades has always fixed this on every car I've owned as long as the windshield has been cleaned well

soundman98 10-06-2019 11:44 PM

It's done it from the first day i installed the blades. But I'll pick up a new set tomorrow

And there's no way I'm stripping the glass and running nothing but wipers. The coatings make it a million times easier to see in hairy situations.

humfrz 10-07-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3264526)
It's done it from the first day i installed the blades. But I'll pick up a new set tomorrow

And there's no way I'm stripping the glass and running nothing but wipers. The coatings make it a million times easier to see in hairy situations.

I'm thinking the advertisements for that stuff got to you - :iono:

:D

humfrz

soundman98 10-07-2019 12:49 AM

The usage got to me. I don't believe in a product until i try it. Rainx sorta works, but wears out after a week. Aquapel works a minimum of 6months. The water beads up, and most speeds above 40, I don't need the wipers. It's how this issue is only just starting to get on my nerves more now than 4 years ago.

I've got a work van that did without. The slightest drizzle requires the non-intermittant wiper setting to keep the windshield turning into looking like a sheet of wavy leaded glass

Ultramaroon 10-07-2019 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3264292)
i've been considering using hose clamps on some of the spring coils to tighten up the arms.

The stock blade frames are also wang shaped for down force. They are very effective for pushing the blades into the glass. Do the Bosch ones have the wang shape?

soundman98 10-07-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3264546)
The stock blade frames are also wang shaped for down force. They are very effective for pushing the blades into the glass. Do the Bosch ones have the wang shape?

they look/work like a leaf spring, so i guess? the only 'wang' i know is another word for 'dick'. lol.

LimitedSlip 10-07-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3264546)
The stock blade frames are also wang shaped . . .

Hmmm . . . clearing the windshield with a pair of phalli.

Not going to be able to un-see that one . . . :eyebulge: :eyebulge: :eyebulge:

On the plus side, they could have integrated washers. :thumbsup: