Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is there a way to improve throttle response? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141177)

dagle 06-29-2020 06:08 PM

Is there a way to improve throttle response?

I'm coming from a mechanical cable system (s2000) and the FRS' throttle response in non-sport mode is painfully bad. There seems to be a full one-second delay between pedal input and response. I thought a couple of weeks would get me used to it, but after rolling backwards on a hill and curbing my wheels awfully (San Francisco hills), I'm frustrated to the point that I'm looking for a solution. That's also not accounting for the clutch delay system that's yet another stupid "feature"...

Is there a way to improve the lag without turning sport mode on every time? It's pretty awful compared to other DBW systems I've used before and is directly comparable to a Chevy Cruze and Kia Optima. If not, is there a way to simply leaving the car in sport mode permanently? Every time I shut off the car, it resets to non-sport mode which is pretty annoying. :thumbdown:

SP86 06-29-2020 06:13 PM

I don't know if it's just a mental thing for me but e85 and an open flash tune made a very notable difference in response.

Mr.ac 06-29-2020 06:22 PM

Pretty sure is a tune issue.
My guess, ask the dealer if they can reflash it. Not sure how much that would cost, or if there is a service bulletin out there. Maybe more would chime in.

86MLR 06-29-2020 07:20 PM

Ecutek race Rom or... https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/...troller-BRZ/86

soundman98 06-29-2020 07:31 PM

don't know what year we're dealing with, but very rarely i can catch my '14 off guard on rev-matches for just a half-second. otherwise, the gas pedal operates exactly like how i expect it to.

unlike my work truck, where i call it 'the suggestion pedal'.

dagle 06-29-2020 07:50 PM

It's an early 13' model with a newer ECU at some point during warranty. I was hoping I wouldn't have to flash it as "sport" mode is sufficiently responsive for my expectations. I may just end up wiring out a 12v off the ignition to turn on sport mode when the car starts instead.

Gloonge 06-29-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagle (Post 3345200)
It's an early 13' model with a newer ECU at some point during warranty. I was hoping I wouldn't have to flash it as "sport" mode is sufficiently responsive for my expectations. I may just end up wiring out a 12v off the ignition to turn on sport mode when the car starts instead.

You might have to install some sort of time delay relay to get the desired effect.

Vracer111 06-29-2020 09:19 PM

dagle, sorry to hear you are having issues with default nanny mode. I always drove it with full press for 100% 'off' unless I forgot on very rare occasions. When disconnecting the battery the few times necessary, I always hated the throttle response for quite a while afterwards...never liked disconnecting the battery for any kind of reason. My habit that became second nature was to always run in traction/stability 'off' 100% of the time. Get in, start the car and hold the button down till traction/stability were off/lit up... never drove it in full nanny mode or sport mode.

dagle bought my car, extremely early '13 model. Battery was disconnected to put factory drivers seat back in for him, and of course sucky pedal response that takes place after a power reset. The car never liked a period of time after a power reset even with 100% 'off' of traction/stability.

Summerwolf 06-29-2020 09:34 PM

Clutch delay system?

As far as throttle body this is the best DBW system I've ever driven. I think it might be an issue of you getting used to a car.

dagle 06-29-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vracer111 (Post 3345224)
dagle, sorry to hear you are having issues with default nanny mode. I always drove it with full press for 100% 'off' unless I forgot on very rare occasions. When disconnecting the battery the few times necessary, I always hated the throttle response for quite a while afterwards...never liked disconnecting the battery for any kind of reason. My habit that became second nature was to always run in traction/stability 'off' 100% of the time. Get in, start the car and hold the button down till traction/stability were off/lit up... never drove it in full nanny mode or sport mode.

dagle bought my car, extremely early '13 model. Battery was disconnected to put factory drivers seat back in for him, and of course sucky pedal response that takes place after a power reset. The car never liked a period of time after a power reset even with 100% 'off' of traction/stability.

Haha, no worries it's a joy in sport mode. :thumbsup: The ECU relearn is likely not the issue anymore as I have driven it a bit over 400 miles at this point in a variety of traffic conditions (~150 stop/go traffic, 250 on the freeway) and 20-30 drive cycles. I have started the car and immediately turned VSC off and sport mode on, but that seems like a hassle long-term. It may even be that the stock intake is a bit slower to respond as I had to reinstall all the resonators to pass emissions here. The interior cabin resonator valve is hilarious by the way :lol:

dagle 06-29-2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3345228)
Clutch delay system?

As far as throttle body this is the best DBW system I've ever driven. I think it might be an issue of you getting used to a car.

if you ever have a chance to drive sporty cars from the early 2000's, it'll fill you in on what you might be missing out on :burnrubber:

the slave cylinder design from the 90s and 00's were different that allowed for clutch modulation to be almost 1:1 analogously regardless of how hard you stomp on or release the clutch. I don't think the FRS/BRZ have the same system components, there seems to be a mechanical or hydraulic delay (unless if my master cylinder's brake fluid is mushier than it should be) when releasing the clutch particularly if I clutch dump at high RPMs. The net effect is that I shift in my s2000 significantly faster than in my FRS and both cars have fairly mild clutches (both sprung, full non-pucked discs). The other time it's noticeable is when I am in San Francisco on a hill riding my clutch (zero throttle, sitting on the clutch engaged to hold me at 0mph and not rolling). I can do this effortlessly on my S2000 and I cannot seem to get it to work in my FRS, though I will admit that I have had more than a decade of practice in the former car.

as far as the throttle body DBW system, we can agree to disagree lol i've driven a handful of DBW cars that were very good but that's probably biased by how much horsepower they have and thus how much feedback the driver is immersed with. I much prefer the later 08-09 s2000's DBW system and even the newer teslas, but again those are different monsters. The FRS in sport mode seems to be closer to those 2, but in normal mode it is not great in my opinion.

Gloonge 06-29-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagle (Post 3345241)
if you ever have a chance to drive sporty cars from the early 2000's, it'll fill you in on what you might be missing out on :burnrubber:

the slave cylinder design from the 90s and 00's were different that allowed for clutch modulation to be almost 1:1 analogously regardless of how hard you stomp on or release the clutch. I don't think the FRS/BRZ have the same system components, there seems to be a mechanical or hydraulic delay (unless if my master cylinder's brake fluid is mushier than it should be) when releasing the clutch particularly if I clutch dump at high RPMs. The net effect is that I shift in my s2000 significantly faster than in my FRS and both cars have fairly mild clutches (both sprung, full non-pucked discs).

as far as the throttle body DBW system, we can agree to disagree lol i've driven a handful of DBW cars that were very good but that's probably biased by how much horsepower they have and thus how much feedback the driver is immersed with. I much prefer the later 08-09 s2000's DBW system and even the newer teslas, but again those are different monsters. The FRS in sport mode seems to be closer to those 2, but in normal mode it is not great in my opinion.

Is the clutch issue you're describing have anything to do with the assist spring? It makes the pedal feel totally jon linear.

DarkSunrise 06-29-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP86 (Post 3345176)
I don't know if it's just a mental thing for me but e85 and an open flash tune made a very notable difference in response.

Definitely not a mental thing. I switched back to stock tune and the throttle response felt really slow. On the e85 OFT tune, it's much better.

dagle 06-30-2020 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloonge (Post 3345242)
Is the clutch issue you're describing have anything to do with the assist spring? It makes the pedal feel totally jon linear.

holy fk your a god dude, i just googled/youtubed it and that does describe the symptoms quite nicely. i'll spend the 5 minutes on the weekend and knock that spring outta there to test with for a week. if i end up not liking it, i'll order a weaker spring. it also looks like a common sized spring, might look in my hobby drawer to see if there's anything with the correct diameter that i can cut down. lol i've daily driven twin discs, unsprung pucked and custom high tq clutches and it was boggling my mind why i couldn't control the FRS the same way. :lol: