Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Speed Academy EP5 - JRSC dyno (updated: EP6 - JRSC Track Test) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93644)

DarkSunrise 08-20-2015 10:17 AM

Speed Academy EP5 - JRSC dyno (updated: EP6 - JRSC Track Test)

Updated 8/25: EP6 - JRSC track test video

Episode 6 - JRSC track test

Speed Academy took their JRSC FR-S to the track, but ran into understeer and coolant temp issues. Understeer might be from the voltex gt wing. Without a matching front splitter, that makes sense. Coolant temp issues were potentially caused by their specific sensor placement.

Even with all those issues, they hinted at a 1:15 laptime. I'm highly doubtful though, especially on Toyo R1R's. We'll see.

Either way, love these vids. :thumbup:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqYuCKt-js"]Track Day Testing! - Scion FR-S Track Build - EP06 - YouTube[/ame]

Episode 5 - JRSC Dyno

Speed Academy dynos their JRSC FR-S. Baseline was around 177 whp. I won't spoil the final numbers, but it's pretty healthy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X9dK0H_bYE"]Jackson Racing Supercharger Dyno Tuning and Results - Scion FR-S Track Build - EP05 - YouTube[/ame]

Very interested to see what laptimes the supercharged FR-S puts down at TMP. They were lapping around 1:27 stock, 1:22 on Rivals (coilovers + bolt-ons), and 1:21 on AD08R's (coilovers + bolt-ons).

For reference, their S2000 ran a 1:23 on RS3's with 210 whp (coilovers + boltons + some brake gremlins). Bone stock Jag F-Type S put down a 1:22 flat.

I think the supercharged FR-S has a shot of breaking 1:20, which would be very impressive.

10Stars 08-20-2015 10:47 AM

Very surprised these guys don't have more subscribers. I know the channel is fairly new but If you are a car guy do yourself a favor and subscribe.

calmtigers 08-20-2015 12:15 PM

Definitely love this channel, funny guys, good shots/video, and good advice.

DarkSunrise 08-20-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10Stars (Post 2363665)
Very surprised these guys don't have more subscribers. I know the channel is fairly new but If you are a car guy do yourself a favor and subscribe.

Agree, it's probably my favorite youtube car channel right now. Their project cars include the FR-S, S2000 and 240sx - how can you not love that lineup?

Also they seem like laid-back guys in their videos, despite being legit drivers. Pratte used to race in the Canadian Touring Car series.

10Stars 08-20-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 2363785)
Agree, it's probably my favorite youtube car channel right now. Their project cars include the FR-S, S2000 and 240sx - how can you not love that lineup?

Also they seem like laid-back guys in their videos, despite being legit drivers. Pratte used to race in the Canadian Touring Car series.

:thumbup: I've been a subscriber for a while now

These guys actually can actually build cars and drive them, no way!? :lol:

The video they did on just swapping wheel/tire combo vs stock was pretty mind blowing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQ7WqEh2tY"]The Fastest Street Tire? - Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R Tire Test in a Scion FR-S - YouTube[/ame]

Didn't Motortrend say in the BRZ vs MX5 article that stickier tires would help much on lap times lol

DarkSunrise 08-20-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10Stars (Post 2363815)
:thumbup: I've been a subscriber for a while now

These guys actually can actually build cars and drive them, no way!? :lol:

The video they did on just swapping wheel/tire combo vs stock was pretty mind blowing.

The Fastest Street Tire? - Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R Tire Test in a Scion FR-S - YouTube

Didn't Motortrend say in the BRZ vs MX5 article that stickier tires would help much on lap times lol

Yeah it's crazy he ran a 1:21.8 just those mods. That's getting close to Boss 302 laptimes (1:21.5). Helps that it's such a tight track.

strat61caster 08-20-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 2363785)

They have an FD too :party0030:

Quickly becoming a fan as well.

drewbot 08-20-2015 04:08 PM

Yes, for once some guys on this platform local to me <3

DarkSunrise 08-22-2015 04:54 PM

Speed Academy's S2000 just put down a 1:19.92 after adding aero (front splitter, rear wing), fixing the brake issues, and tweaking the suspension.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnY6s-spVdU"]Judgement Day - Project ASS2000 - EP17 - YouTube[/ame]

Both their S2000 and FR-S are putting down some quick times now. It will be interesting to see if their supercharged FR-S can break the 1:20 mark as well. I think it can, considering the one that ran 1:21 didn't have aero, wasn't supercharged, and had 18" wheels. Those changes should be good for 2+ seconds, but we'll see.

jaycee842 08-23-2015 03:04 AM

Awesome thanks for sharing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkSunrise 08-25-2015 08:43 AM

Episode 6 - JRSC track test

Speed Academy took their JRSC FR-S to the track, but ran into understeer and coolant temp issues. Understeer might be from the voltex gt wing. Without a matching front splitter, that makes sense. Coolant temp issues were potentially caused by their specific sensor placement.

Even with all those issues, they hinted at a 1:15 laptime. I'm highly doubtful though, especially on Toyo R1R's. We'll see.

Either way, love these vids. :thumbup:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqYuCKt-js"]Track Day Testing! - Scion FR-S Track Build - EP06 - YouTube[/ame]

drewbot 08-25-2015 08:57 AM

I saw their car making its way to TMP. Unfortunately I had other things to do that day, otherwise I would've stalked them.

I asked them why they went with R1R after being on AD08R, and they claim that Toyo changed the compound this year. I dunno, but I think it ha to do with Toyo has a huge contingency program up here, even though they might not be the "it" tire this season.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

DarkSunrise 08-25-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbot (Post 2368840)
I saw their car making its way to TMP. Unfortunately I had other things to do that day, otherwise I would've stalked them.

I asked them why they went with R1R after being on AD08R, and they claim that Toyo changed the compound this year. I dunno, but I think it ha to do with Toyo has a huge contingency program up here, even though they might not be the "it" tire this season.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Interesting, that's the first I've heard about the compound change. From guys I know who used the old R1R's, consensus seemed to be great rain tire, sub-par dry tire. Wonder if the compound change will make the R1R's competitive.

Honestly even on something like an RE71R, I'd be doubtful about the 1:15 laptime. Possibly on a race compound...

drewbot 08-25-2015 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
@DarkSunrise

Attachment 118702

WhiteFRS69 08-25-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbot (Post 2368855)

do i spy cyanogenmod???

anyways, these guys are awesome, love watching these videos, specially since they aren't using any special tools or lifts to get the work done, something someone with common sense, some directions and some tools can do!

drewbot 08-25-2015 10:03 AM

@WhiteFRS69

Yes, CM 12.1 (Lollipop 5.1 variant)

It is quasi-stock on my OnePlus One, freaking ruined the battery life though

kiwi666 08-25-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10Stars (Post 2363815)
The Fastest Street Tire? - Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R Tire Test in a Scion FR-S - YouTube

exactly what i was thinking :thumbsup:

JustAnEngineer 03-30-2017 11:39 PM

Just watched the video and noticed that have a pretty cool set of gauges where the infotainment unit is. Anyone know what kind that is?