Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   AUSTRALIA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   wheel spacer to 5x114 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10324)

derka-derka 06-30-2012 08:04 PM

wheel spacer to 5x114

anyone know wheres a good place in sydney to get some spacers so i can fit my 5zigen wheels that uses 5x114. these stock hubs are 5x100 damnit!

Nafe 06-30-2012 08:19 PM

What width and offset are your wheels? Because fitting spacers may make them not fit...

Captain Snooze 06-30-2012 10:05 PM

You know wheel spacers will make the car non-roadworthy?

TonyJZX 06-30-2012 10:28 PM

i wouldnt do this and i love doing dodgy shit

Panman 06-30-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Snooze (Post 289512)

QFT - Non-roadworthy, uninsured, and illegal - and almost certainly dangerous.

Either get em redrilled (potentially possible but I wouldn't), or sell them and buy a set that are 5x100 and the right offset.

Palmy 07-01-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Snooze (Post 289512)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyJZX (Post 289554)
i wouldnt do this and i love doing dodgy shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panman (Post 289647)
QFT - Non-roadworthy, uninsured, and illegal - and almost certainly dangerous.

Either get em redrilled (potentially possible but I wouldn't), or sell them and buy a set that are 5x100 and the right offset.

99% of wheel modifications are illegal, unroadworthy, uninsurable and "almost certainly dangerous", and no seems to mind about those?

Captain Snooze 07-01-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmy (Post 289766)
99% of wheel modifications are illegal, unroadworthy, uninsurable and "almost certainly dangerous", and no seems to mind about those?

This is the 3rd time I have mentioned this so forgive me if you have already read this rant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Snooze (Post 274811)
If you went ahead with the intended mods and made the car unroadworthy and if you were unlucky enough to be involved in an accident and if the insurance crowd found out you would not be covered. If you just wrote off your own car that would not be an issue but you could be in a world of financial pain if you damaged somebody else's property.

It is all a matter of risk/probability. Insurance of any kind is a calculated risk/reward. Do you take the risk of an event not happening and saving the insurance premium or do you pay the insurance premium in the unlikely case that an event will happen? Car insurance, home insurance, public liability, health insurance,ambulance cover just to name a few. It's up to an individual as to the risks one takes but it is my opinion that it is better to have insurance and not need it than to need it and not have it. Invalidating one's insurance is the same as not having it.

[/rant]

Panman 07-01-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmy (Post 289766)

I don't modify my wheels, never have except to paint them maybe. Won't repair a bent wheel.

But let's face it if you have a ding, even if the wheel isn't involved, your insurance company (those nice understanding folk) can and will refuse to pay out. May well make the minor saving on wheels into a major cost.

Eg. re-drilling it's legal but I still wouldn't do it. Different strokes for different folks

TonyJZX 07-01-2012 02:17 AM

in theory one can get proper bolt in spacers and then HAVE THEM ENGINEERED and then they are legal

but nah too much work and money for stuff all gain

get the right wheels in the first place

Panman 07-01-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyJZX (Post 289857)
in theory one can get proper bolt in spacers and then HAVE THEM ENGINEERED and then they are legal

but nah too much work and money for stuff all gain

get the right wheels in the first place

What he said!

Nezz 07-01-2012 04:50 AM

been patiently browsing the RAYS catalogue, myself... I have some nice, correct offset 5x114.3 (offset will be compensated for by spacers) but they're not going on...

derka-derka 07-02-2012 10:52 PM

ive been trying to sell the set on ebay for quite some years before i got the 86. looks like ill have to try list them again. but i realli love those tyres ont hem (advans AD07).

Nafe 07-02-2012 11:27 PM

Remove tyres, put tyres on new rims?