Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Picked up the new ride tonight (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122103)

nitro_alltrac 09-18-2017 10:40 PM

Picked up the new ride tonight

Finally got it. I work for Toyota so I got it through our lease program. Been on order since mid April.

A few observations from my first 30 or so miles.
1. The clutch with the damn helper spring is WAAAAY to light. Nothing like I'm used to. That spring is coming out as soon as I have a free moment. Some of you older folks will know what I mean when I say it is the equivalent of the '70 Chrysler power steering.
2. I don't think it's underpowered like a lot of people bitch about. I'm staying below 4 grand during break in and it's not bad. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like in the higher rev band. I'm coming from a Celica All Trac that was running probably 275 HP or so. I'm pleased with what I'm seeing so far.
3. Six gear is a little notchy right now. I'm hoping that smooth's out as it breaks in. The transmission shifts great thought and the gear spacing is really close. The ratios seem to be good so far too.
4. Handling is great. I am not disappointed.

Really happy with the color too. I had only seen one or two on the road and pictures don't really do it justice.

Looking forward to more miles.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/fi...t86-resize.jpg

PetrolioBenzina 09-18-2017 10:48 PM

People wont realize how great a car it is until its gone.

humfrz 09-18-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitro_alltrac (Post 2980387)
Finally got it. Some of you older folks will know what I mean when I say it is the equivalent of the '70 Chrysler power steering.
2. ]

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum ....... :clap:

Nitro, WV ........:confused0068: I have/had a whole bunch of relatives from St Albans. I visited there a lot when I was younger. There was this one cute little female cousin ......... oh, never mind ...... :bonk:

I don't understand the bolded part ..... ??

:)

humfrz

gymratter 09-18-2017 11:12 PM

congrats on the new car!

D5teph 09-19-2017 12:24 AM

Welcome to the Club and congratulations on your purchase!

nitro_alltrac 09-19-2017 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2980413)

humfrz

Sorry. I meant how freaking light it is. My grandpa had a mid 70s Plymouth Trailduster and you could must about sneeze and the move the steering wheel the power steering was so boosted. No effort, no feedback. That's my take on the stock clutch pedal.

22R 09-19-2017 06:28 AM

Congratulations ! We love our 86.

22R

stevesnj 09-19-2017 02:04 PM

That helper spring removal made a huge difference for me.

lantsalot 09-19-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2980413)
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum ....... :clap:

Nitro, WV ........:confused0068: I have/had a whole bunch of relatives from St Albans. I visited there a lot when I was younger. There was this one cute little female cousin ......... oh, never mind ...... :bonk:

humfrz

Are we really just going to gloss over this ?? :lol:

jasonojordan 09-19-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lantsalot (Post 2980707)

I did something over this....not sure I could count it as glossing though.....

humfrz 09-19-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lantsalot (Post 2980707)

Hey, that was back in the 1950s ..... I lived on a farm in Ohio ....... it was in West Virginia ........ at a family reunion ...... cousins were fair game ....... :D

:iono:

humfrz

humfrz 09-19-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonojordan (Post 2980715)
I did something over this....not sure I could count it as glossing though.....

Wanna tell us about YOUR family reunion ......?? :eyebulge:

humfrz

jasonojordan 09-19-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2980725)
Wanna tell us about YOUR family reunion ......?? :eyebulge:

humfrz

I feel like If I were to recount my child hood class reunions it would be like a childs movie compared to yours :P

chaoskaze 09-19-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitro_alltrac (Post 2980519)
Sorry. I meant how freaking light it is. My grandpa had a mid 70s Plymouth Trailduster and you could must about sneeze and the move the steering wheel the power steering was so boosted. No effort, no feedback. That's my take on the stock clutch pedal.

The clutch is super super light, they only feel ok when you drive fast and rev match with it..:D

Clutch feel actually improves the longer you drive, till you feel your clutch is getting really heavy, that means the throwout bearing is on the way out.