Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Flex Fuel for 2017+ models (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140522)

kuchez96 05-23-2020 12:34 PM

Flex Fuel for 2017+ models

Hey guys, I recently started to look into getting E85 for my 2019 BRZ and I am unsure of which direction to go and what exactly I need.

Firstly, I'd like to say I prefer going the OFT route with their kit so I can reflash to stock tune on the spot and use OTS tunes. However, I do not know if their kit is compatible with 2017+ models.

Second, the ECUTeK route. I've gotten a lot of feedback on this route and people say it is the best route. If I were to go this route, what would be the best kit to get, does it come with a tune, are there multiple maps I can use/ OTS tunes, do I need to pay for tunes anytime I want to retune?

2019 BRZ with Remark Muffler Delete and plan on getting a Tomei UEL.

dpfarr 05-23-2020 08:59 PM

I’ve been reading into this too. Can the fuel system (pump, lines, etc.) handle E85 no problem?

Yoshoobaroo 05-23-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpfarr (Post 3334189)
I’ve been reading into this too. Can the fuel system (pump, lines, etc.) handle E85 no problem?

Yes

Irace86.2.0 05-24-2020 12:04 AM

The fuel system is already handling ethanol. Pump gas is E10.

For basic bolt ons, the stock fuel system should be fine. For basic FI, injectors are advised, but not necessary. For high boost pulleys, injectors are needed, and it is worth dropping in a better fuel pump.

For ECUTEK, you need a license ($350+), a bluetooth interface/cable and dongle ($350+) and a flex-fuel tune ($350+). If you add a new performance product then you need a new tune, which means paying for an upgrade ($75-350). It all depends on your tuner. The advantage is that the ECUTEK is a far superior custom tune.

OFT is cheaper.

dpfarr 05-24-2020 11:38 AM

Right on. Will figure out what I need to bolt on before I get to a tune.

the new guy 05-24-2020 11:57 AM

You can flash back to a stock rom using ecutek as easily as you can with oft. Pick your Ecutek tuner (HRI, Delicious Tuning, Xero Limit, CSG) and then buy their tune package which will come with an Ecutek dongle/cable + Ecutek license and then they’ll remotely tune your car. A header + custom to your car ecutek tune is about the best mod combo to this platform besides tires and seat time at a track.

If you want to go E85 you’ll need a flex fuel kit with the above and your tune will auto read the ethanol content in the gas and adjust automatically without needing to switch maps.

dakine001 05-24-2020 03:56 PM

I have a 2017 with CSG’s flex fuel kit and tune (Ecutek) and love it. Recently added JDL’s UEL header (with updated tune) and like everybody says, it’s the way to go. I was planning on going FI, but I’m pretty happy with this setup-for now.

dpfarr 05-24-2020 04:34 PM

What other mods do you have in addition to headers? Is there difference between monitors to control AFR?

dakine001 05-24-2020 05:01 PM

Just an ARK catback, I thought about up pipe and front pipes, but want to keep the noise level down since I’m in CA. Not sure about monitors to control AFR.

Xero-Limit 05-30-2020 05:14 PM

We also have our combo here: https://www.xero-limit.com/ecutek-bl...l-package.html

With that pricing you're right there at the cost of an OFT+flex fuel kit, but get all the advanced features and custom tuning you get with EcuTek.

Otherwise there's been no issues running e85 from our end since we've been doing it in 2013, I wouldn't fear it!

tom@ptuning 06-20-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakine001 (Post 3334391)
I have a 2017 with CSG’s flex fuel kit and tune (Ecutek) and love it. Recently added JDL’s UEL header (with updated tune) and like everybody says, it’s the way to go. I was planning on going FI, but I’m pretty happy with this setup-for now.

The flex fuel kit would be our PTUNING flex fuel kit that CSG sells. Only place you are able to get our flex fuel kit is ourselves and CounterSpace

PenGun 06-25-2020 05:29 PM

What are we looking at for power increase? The same compression, so all we can have is what the computer lets us have, I assume.

I have 94 octane pure gas here and it works very well.

tom@ptuning 06-25-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenGun (Post 3344178)
What are we looking at for power increase? The same compression, so all we can have is what the computer lets us have, I assume.

I have 94 octane pure gas here and it works very well.

On my NA car I see a 20whp difference and on my supercharged car there is a 50~whp difference at the same boost level

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Misfire 06-25-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom@ptuning (Post 3342749)
The flex fuel kit would be our PTUNING flex fuel kit that CSG sells. Only place you are able to get our flex fuel kit is ourselves and CounterSpace

Have you guys figured out the display module freezing on boot at high ambient temperature? I've called numerous times and spoke to a handful of people at PTUNING over the past couple of years (not yet this year though, its only locked up a few times so far), and it was always "going to be looked into," but I never heard anything back.

I love the kit, the flex module works 100% of the time, and I can still access it via bluetooth even if the display module freezes up. Its just a minor annoyance.