Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   2017 intake manifold (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111954)

oldgunfan 10-24-2016 11:10 AM

2017 intake manifold

I saw one for sale on subispeed the other day, wondered if anyone had tryed one on 2013+ see how much better it is. http://www.subispeed.com/2013-subaru...6#.WA4jM-grKUk

Tcoat 10-24-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgunfan (Post 2781895)
I saw one for sale on subispeed the other day, wondered if anyone had tryed one on 2013+ see how much better it is. http://www.subispeed.com/2013-subaru...6#.WA4jM-grKUk

You would need to be able to tune for it. Just slapping it on would probably cause more issues than anything. When you consider that the total changes gave a 5hp bump then the manifold on it's own would do nothing. Look pretty if you like red though.

celek 10-24-2016 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The answer is YES
Moto East no tune changes on a turbo car.
Drift Office tuned NA car

celek 10-24-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgunfan (Post 2781895)

BTW they are backordered from North America until January 2017

celek 10-24-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2781912)
You would need to be able to tune for it. Just slapping it on would probably cause more issues than anything. When you consider that the total changes gave a 5hp bump then the manifold on it's own would do nothing. Look pretty if you like red though.

It is well worth the top end produced in any application though higher redline

Tcoat 10-24-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celek (Post 2782047)
It is well worth the top end produced in any application though higher redline

How do you figure it gives you a higher redline?

Tcoat 10-24-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celek (Post 2782043)
The answer is YES
Moto East no tune changes on a turbo car.
Drift Office tuned NA car

Really? You believe in a dyno that shows a 1hp change? You are truely an optimist.

Teseo 10-24-2016 01:49 PM

I lol'ed at the price...

wparsons 10-24-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2781912)

5hp/5tq advertised, but they look like they're dynoing about 10-15whp more than 2013-2016 cars stock vs stock on the same dyno.

That said, unless you try each part separately (intake manifold, exhaust manifold, stock tune), it's really hard to figure out where the individual gains are.

Tcoat 10-24-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 2782152)
5hp/5tq advertised, but they look like they're dynoing about 10-15whp more than 2013-2016 cars stock vs stock on the same dyno.

That said, unless you try each part separately (intake manifold, exhaust manifold, stock tune), it's really hard to figure out where the individual gains are.

Exactly!
They are showing WHP which can be increased by a pile of things.
There were so many small changes made to the engine that to be able to say the manifold does X is impossible. Especially since any number you get will be well below the margin of error in the dyno in the first place. Dynos can easily show a variation of 10 or more HP with the exact same car on the exact same day. They are not precision instruments.

Summerwolf 10-24-2016 03:16 PM

I'm seeing a one WHP gain there in those dyno graphs..... a 2 wtq gain.... that is well within the change tolerance between dyno runs. It is hard to say that is because of the intake manifold or a change in temperature, or any slight variance in between.

@celek - I have followed your NA build, and you say you're a believer, can you state why?

Calum 10-24-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2782155)
Exactly!
They are showing WHP which can be increased by a pile of things.
There were so many small changes made to the engine that to be able to say the manifold does X is impossible. Especially since any number you get will be well below the margin of error in the dyno in the first place. Dynos can easily show a variation of 10 or more HP with the exact same car on the exact same day. They are not precision instruments.

The variance in the shape of the curve is somewhat telling though. That appears to be a pretty large gain at the very top, ~15 whp according to the dynos above, when the curves follow each other almost exactly throughout the rest of the graph.

I think celek was saying that anyone looking to increase the redline via a tune would do well to run the newer intake manifold. Not that the manifold itself is responsible for the increasing redline.

Ultimately, I don't spend enough time in that RPM range to bother investing money into it.

Calum 10-24-2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 2782168)
I'm seeing a one WHP gain there in those dyno graphs..... a 2 wtq gain.... that is well within the change tolerance between dyno runs. It is hard to say that is because of the intake manifold or a change in temperature, or any slight variance in between.

@celek - I have followed your NA build, and you say you're a believer, can you state why?

Most of the graph shows nothing outside of tolerances in the machines. It's the last 500 rpm where things start to get interesting. No REALLY interesting, but interesting nonetheless.

Tcoat 10-24-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 2782171)
The variance in the shape of the curve is somewhat telling though. That appears to be a pretty large gain at the very top, ~15 whp according to the dynos above, when the curves follow each other almost exactly throughout the rest of the graph.

I think celek was saying that anyone looking to increase the redline via a tune would do well to run the newer intake manifold. Not that the manifold itself is responsible for the increasing redline.

Ultimately, I don't spend enough time in that RPM range to bother investing money into it.

One shows the big increase the other shows a bit of a decrease. I said in my first post that with a tune there world be more of an impact. Just the manifold itself would mean very little without one.
The cost vs improvement alone would make it a very poor mod if looking for better performance.