Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Engineering Explained: Ruining the Manual Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138769)

rennlistuser3 01-29-2020 11:52 AM

Engineering Explained: Ruining the Manual Transmission

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y25ordkIfgM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y25ordkIfgM[/ame]

I really love this YouTuber content and he knocked it out of the park in this one (he often does). This guy is also a very big proponent of the FT86 concept, he has many videos praising it specifically and the concept in general. He's an excellent critic that knows what he's talking about when comes to cars.

It's a very educative video but for those who are not into such technical stuff too much the gist of it is this: The industry is heading towards long gear ratios in MT for whatever reason and this is ruining MTs (ruining everything if you ask me).

One of the best things that made me choose a 2017 BRZ is the short gear ratios in the MT. I was right about my expectations. I enjoyed the short ratios immensely and it is my standard go to fun item. It works a peach. If I'm not in the mood for shifting I just rev out 1st and shift into 4th 5th or even 6th directly and I'm done. If I want to enjoy myself, I row through the gears and it's immense fun on public roads and still within safe speeds.

I don't like the trend in the industry right now of making MTs with very long gear ratios but it seems to be getting more and more invasive.

Tcoat 01-29-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 (Post 3294798)
If I'm not in the mood for shifting I just rev out 1st and shift into 4th 5th or even 6th directly and I'm done.

What? Really?

Long gear ratios? In a 6 speed? For most of the MT history it had 3 gears. Those were long gears ratios.

The manufacturers have to meet emission and mileage controls. Those requirements dictate gear ratios. This is why you now have 6 or even 8 gears in a MT.

Oh and this dude is annoying as fuck and only gives you part of the story.

rennlistuser3 01-29-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3294813)
What? Really?

Long gear ratios? In a 6 speed? For most of the MT history it had 3 gears. Those were long gears ratios.

3 gears is ancient history by now and such technology carries no relevance today.

Engines use to be manually cranked too. I would never look forward to that in the freezing cold at least.

Quote:

The manufacturers have to meet emission and mileage controls. Those requirements dictate gear ratios. This is why you now have 6 or even 8 gears in a MT.

I won't pretend to know more than you do in these matters and I won't challenge your statement here. I just lament the end result regardless of the validity of the mandate.

Quote:

This is your personal opinion and this YouTuber happens to have 2.5 million subscribers with a video reaching 15 million views and this is on explaining technical details the masses tend to fall asleep in.

So your personal opinion doesn't seem to be that popular.

Tcoat 01-29-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 (Post 3294831)
3 gears is ancient history by now and such technology carries no relevance today.

Engines use to be manually cranked too. I would never look forward to that in the freezing cold at least.

I won't pretend to know more than you do in these matters and I won't challenge your statement here. I just lament the end result regardless of the validity of the mandate.

This is your personal opinion and this YouTuber happens to have 2.5 million subscribers with a video reaching 15 million views and this is on explaining technical details the masses tend to fall asleep in.

You complain of this "trend" of long gearing so historical references certainly do apply.

How can you lament the passing of something you do not even understand?

There are videos of cat's falling off furniture with twice that many views so your measurement of quality is flawed.

korhun 01-29-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Not this one, but I've watched many videos of this guy. And I agree.

finch1750 01-29-2020 12:58 PM

OK. Since when is 5th gear a fun gear? Looking at track vids this gearing seems better? Keeps you in 4th on basically any track saving a shift to 5th (I looked up COTA and Thunderhill east for reference).

And with either the added power (or maybe weight?) the 2018+ runs the 1/4 quicker with a faster 0-60 as well.

N_Raged 01-29-2020 01:00 PM

Porsche Cayman has stupid tall manual gears as well which all journalists complain about.

ls1ac 01-29-2020 01:53 PM

500 extra revs and 20 added hp should change the ratios.
That is why we have quick change rear ands carefully select ratios on race cars for different tracks where performance is critical.
Do not use track type requirements for street cars. Different goals.
I hesitate to post this as many on this forum use track type preparation on there cars that never see a track. (street racing? Bar stool racing?)

finch1750 01-29-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1ac (Post 3294891)
500 extra revs and 20 added hp should change the ratios.
That is why we have quick change rear ands carefully select ratios on race cars for different tracks where performance is critical.
Do not use track type requirements for street cars. Different goals.
I hesitate to post this as many on this forum use track type preparation on there cars that never see a track. (street racing? Bar stool racing?)

I went to track just cuz the first 3 gears are so similar and get you into impound territory for street driving anyway lol.

But agree 100%, a street car is way different from a track car. And you can't build a car that is perfect for every track.

86MLR 01-29-2020 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 (Post 3294831)

His marketing is excellent, lots of views, lots of click, lots of dollars.

He actually contradicts himself over a few engineering points.

Meh, he makes money from people believing everything he says.

Click click click

Tcoat 01-29-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1ac (Post 3294891)

Gotta have that street cred yo. How could you possibly show your face at the parking lot with stock parts.

Dave-ROR 01-29-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3294966)
Gotta have that street cred yo. How could you possibly show your face at the parking lot with stock parts.

I do that with my fastest track car. Weird eh? :)

As for EE.. he's ok "light reading" material. I wouldn't trust him to be an expert on anything he's produced. He's an entertainer and makes good money at it so congrats to him!

ScoobsMcGee 01-29-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3294837)
...There are videos of cat's falling off furniture with twice that many views so your measurement of quality is flawed...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY7m5jjJ9mM[/ame]

99,895,543 views.

Disclaimer: I've watched neither video.

Tcoat 01-29-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee (Post 3294984)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY7m5jjJ9mM

99,895,543 views.

Disclaimer: I've watched neither video.

The cat one was 1,000 times more entertaining and probably more educational as well.