Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Rear Passenger wheel bounce during cornering (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134325)

Takumidesh 04-26-2019 12:41 AM

Rear Passenger wheel bounce during cornering

Hey All!

On hard corners (or during pavement transitions/small potholes/etc.) I am getting what feels like the rear pass wheel bouncing like mad. Sometimes it's violent enough to seem like its causing some real damage.

I think the shock is blown but it's hard to tell from pushing on the car. My buddy tells me it is just the torsen letting go when going over bumps, but it happens even on smooth surfaces during moderate to hard cornering.

The car has rce yellow springs that the PO Installed(unknown mileage/age) and stock shocks

MY13 Frs with 75k miles

Any thoughts? I am off work tomorrow so I will try to slap the go pro on the car and see if i can receate it.

BigTuna 04-26-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takumidesh (Post 3211738)
Hey All!

On hard corners (or during pavement transitions/small potholes/etc.) I am getting what feels like the rear pass wheel bouncing like mad. Sometimes it's violent enough to seem like its causing some real damage.

I think the shock is blown but it's hard to tell from pushing on the car. My buddy tells me it is just the torsen letting go when going over bumps, but it happens even on smooth surfaces during moderate to hard cornering.

The car has rce yellow springs that the PO Installed(unknown mileage/age) and stock shocks

MY13 Frs with 75k miles

Any thoughts? I am off work tomorrow so I will try to slap the go pro on the car and see if i can receate it.

Maybe try changing the diff fluid? Take a peek at all of the bushings and make sure bolts are tight too.

Racecomp Engineering 04-26-2019 10:15 AM

I would inspect the shocks and the rear diff + subframe bushings. Also check alignment if you haven't since buying the car.

- Andrew

Twinz 04-26-2019 10:54 AM

My wife's car had this symptom and it was a blown rear shock.

It was most noticeable when the bad shock was the inside wheel of the turn, (Ie unloaded/lightly loaded) and throttle was applied.

Takumidesh 04-26-2019 12:36 PM

Exactly, like a shudder as if the whole assy is bouncing like crazy.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

kch 04-26-2019 02:17 PM

Yep, my money is on a blown damper.

Trueweltall 04-28-2019 03:50 PM

You're at about the mileage that it would be a good idea to replace the struts. I bet the previous owner just zipped on the strut nut with an impact causing the rod to spin. Once you get it off you should notice fluid leaking all around the shaft and it probably won't rebound at all.

strat61caster 04-28-2019 06:57 PM

Do you have traction control on?

Takumidesh 04-29-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 3212457)
Do you have traction control on?

With or without traction control makes no difference.

Looks like I'm buying coilovers. Perfect excuse.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk