Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Problems at high milage? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123427)

Zaraia 11-16-2017 09:13 PM

Problems at high milage?

So recently, ive been looking around for a gt86 and ive come across a couple that seem really nice, but with high milage, for example 90000 miles or so? My previous frs had only gotten to 21000 before i gave it to my sister, what are some generic problems an 86 would have at this high milage, i know everyone drives differently and different things break, and this is probably an impossible question to give a straight forward answer to, but what have you guys seen gave out most, through wear and tear? I just thought to get the communities opinion on an 90000 mile frs

why? 11-16-2017 09:21 PM

not sure we've really seen enough to know. At 15k a year even the earliest cars are nearing 75k. There are probably a few higher but not enough to get anything near any working knowledge.

Tcoat 11-16-2017 09:26 PM

110K No issues. Only thing that has been changed is engine oil, tires and windshield wiper blades. Everything else is original. Plugs and TOB getting changed next week.

Loads of them with 100+ out there.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110955

humfrz 11-16-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaraia (Post 3005967)
So recently, ive been looking around for a gt86 and ive come across a couple that seem really nice, but with high milage, for example 90000 miles or so? My previous frs had only gotten to 21000 before i gave it to my sister, what are some generic problems an 86 would have at this high milage, i know everyone drives differently and different things break, and this is probably an impossible question to give a straight forward answer to, but what have you guys seen gave out most, through wear and tear? I just thought to get the communities opinion on an 90000 mile frs

Hello Zaraia and welcome to the forum ...... :clap:

That was nice of you to give your sister your FR-S.

OK, you're not stranger to this car, so you must know some of the problems some folks have had ........ although, I'm not convinced they are necessarily mileage related.

If I were looking for a high mileage FR-S, I'd stay away from any car that had heavy power mods (FI), or been tracked extensively.

humfrz

Mr.Impreza 11-16-2017 09:37 PM

These cars are proving to be very reliable. As long as they are taken care of and proper maintenance is done, they should last a very long time :)

DandoX 11-16-2017 10:53 PM

I'm at 70k and no issues so far. I did have to replace my TOB, while that was done I had my clutch replaced. My clutch felt okay before but later I realized it was much more worn that I thought. Other than that it's all good. Make sure regular oil changes have been done and 60k service was completed with everything on the list.

finch1750 11-16-2017 11:08 PM

Just avoid anything built earlier then May 2013 (that was when the finally ditched the knocky tunes). But honestly there are are lots of options in that <60k for fairly cheap that might be more worth it to get one a little less used.

I got my FRS on the first shipment (5/31/12 pick up). 136k miles. I do tend to have a little knock here and there along with some blowby, but only when pushing the car hard. I have done a handful of Autox and just did my second track day (the first one was at 120k lol). I have been tuned on OFT for a while with full exhaust. I have an AT and tend to change it out early as the tranny seems to start shifting rough well short of the 60k mark. Nothing really major otherwise. When on stock Primacies I still get 30+ mpg on the highway.

Terruko 11-17-2017 01:09 AM

For me was

At 60k

Fuel pump replaced (Not really an issue, just found the crickets annoying)

TOB replaced

And 5th gear synchros going bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ApexEight 11-17-2017 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3006015)
Just avoid anything built earlier then May 2013 (that was when the finally ditched the knocky tunes). But honestly there are are lots of options in that <60k for fairly cheap that might be more worth it to get one a little less used.

I got my FRS on the first shipment (5/31/12 pick up). 136k miles. I do tend to have a little knock here and there along with some blowby, but only when pushing the car hard. I have done a handful of Autox and just did my second track day (the first one was at 120k lol). I have been tuned on OFT for a while with full exhaust. I have an AT and tend to change it out early as the tranny seems to start shifting rough well short of the 60k mark. Nothing really major otherwise. When on stock Primacies I still get 30+ mpg on the highway.

What do you mean by knocky tunes?

Also, do you know when the coil packs were updated?

Lastly, I seem to hear a very faint knocking noise from the engine but it's only just started happening on these cold mornings. I haven't noticed it at all when the car is warmed up. It is very quiet. I've also noticed a little oil consumption, about half quart in about 5K miles. Car runs beautifully. Any ideas? You say your car knocks, isn't that really bad, like the motor is going out?

bcj 11-17-2017 04:17 AM

My March 13 seems to be working fine so far.
No ring lands or head gasket difficulties that plagued the 2.5 scooby engines.

The only things we've had to really complain about are social gaffes here on the forum.

oh, and mustangs

shellslinger 11-17-2017 04:28 AM

I'm about to hit 85k and my car has been fine. No issues so far besides the TOB and leaking valve cover but both have been fixed.

ermax 11-17-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexEight (Post 3006057)
What do you mean by knocky tunes?

Also, do you know when the coil packs were updated?

Lastly, I seem to hear a very faint knocking noise from the engine but it's only just started happening on these cold mornings. I haven't noticed it at all when the car is warmed up. It is very quiet. I've also noticed a little oil consumption, about half quart in about 5K miles. Car runs beautifully. Any ideas? You say your car knocks, isn't that really bad, like the motor is going out?

When he is referring to knock he is referred no to detonation. The knock I think you are referring to is rod knock. Obviously both are bad. Detonation will eventually lead to rod knock.

The early 2013 cars had a bad tune which caused detonation and was also causing the injector seals to go bad. This was fixed with a new tune which can be applied to any 2013.

Shneegle 11-17-2017 07:13 AM

Got the car on 11/1/12 and Im just over 75k. TOB failed and had leaking valve covers. Timing cover looks like it may be leaking as well. Ill fix it in the next month or so. I autox and track the car. Replaced spark plugs at ~70k. Trans and diff oil changed every year. Brake fluid changed a few times a year. Motor oil changed at the normal intervals unless a track day happened.

WNDSRFR 11-17-2017 07:25 AM

118,000 miles and no problems. The drivers side seat belt retractor is a little worn and the drivers side window seal has been funky since day one. And the transmission was replaced when it was new. Other than that, no problems at all.