Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I Bought an automatic brz and wanted to explain why. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122846)

BrianLaplante 10-22-2017 02:06 PM

I Bought an automatic brz and wanted to explain why.

hey guys i wanted to explain to those who care (probably not many) about why i bought an automatic brz and i made a little video about why (about 3 and a half minutes)

https://youtu.be/YDzMgvaQwLY

but i also wanted to just write it out for those who prefer to read :)

Everyone always talks in the car community (at least in my city it seems) about having a manual car and how its not really driving without a stick. and or "working for the power". but for me the choice was much simpler reason then if i wanted to work for the power or not. coming from a 2014 wrx i knew how to drive a manual (as i believe most should at least know how to do) so that wasen't an issue, rather my issue was finding a used one in my local area for a good price. being an enthusiast car the manuals naturally sell higher then the automatic version used (which the a total 180 from new being that the automatic transmission costs more to make and therefor sells just a little higher new). so i found an awesome deal on a 2015 brz limited auto with only 8900 miles on it for 19,800 around 22 after tax which in my book is a great deal. id love to here what you guys think. wether my savings in cost was worth it or not. thanks!

extrashaky 10-22-2017 02:26 PM

I don't think that's a very good reason.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 10-22-2017 02:28 PM

You dont have to explain. As long as you're happy with your decision and have no regrets, that's cool

extrashaky 10-22-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 2994960)
You dont have to explain.

Sure he does, for his own peace of mind. He bought an automatic and now feels inadequate. Let him try to talk himself into feeling better about it. Maybe he'll succeed, but probably not if he felt bad enough about it to go to the trouble of making a 3.5 minute video to justify it.

I'm sure nobody else really cares. But at least whenever he starts doubting, he can go to Youtube and watch his video to shore up his confidence.

Swaggrenox 10-22-2017 04:31 PM

I leased an automatic brz since 2014 and loved every second of it. I live in Montreal so traffic can get annoying during rush hour and road conditions are pretty bad. When I feel lazy, I put it on drive and shut half my brain off. When I'm fully awake, I blast some eurobeat and keep my rev above 4k rpm by shifting with the knob. When I want to keep both my hands on the wheel and drive aggressively on the turns, I use the paddles. From time to time, I switch all nannies off and let the tail loose a little bit. Occasionally, I use the sport mode to see what the car can do it its own and it always amazes me.

Unlike you, I have never driven manual before, but I also have no interest in driving one. I don't have any regrets and I don't really care what other people think about my car.

You don't have to justify your purchase to anyone. Before you pulled the trigger, you made a decision depending on your reality (budget, location, deal, other offers available, personal interest, etc.) which is different from everyone else on this forum.

However, you could be regretting your purchase after trying it for a few weeks or months, but you wouldn't have known that at purchase. There are no right or wrong, do what you like, respect your budget, think about your priorities and make up your mind.

Cheers.

Mr.ac 10-22-2017 06:33 PM

Just say no to click bait.
Especially one that tries to explain why they bought an auto.

Ultramaroon 10-22-2017 07:01 PM

Meh. New thread: I have never even remotely considered owning a vehicle with an automatic transmission. How awesome am I?

mrg666 10-22-2017 07:14 PM

https://i2.wp.com/www.halecg.com/wp-...gain.jpg-1.png

bcj 10-22-2017 07:32 PM

uh... they make both options. do what you gotta. not gonna judge dread it.

think i'd like to give the paddles a chance sometime.

Gunman 10-22-2017 08:00 PM

I have an auto, and feel no need to defended MY decision to anyone.

funwheeldrive 10-22-2017 08:13 PM

It doesn't make sense to save a couple thousand dollars on a twenty thousand purchase if it's not what you really want. What is the point of settling on something you will use on a daily basis?

Also, now you have a car that looks like a Ferrari but is slower than a minivan.

spike021 10-22-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman (Post 2995027)
I have an auto, and feel no need to defended MY decision to anyone.

I feel like this comment implies you’re defending it :)

BrianLaplante 10-22-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2994965)
Sure he does, for his own peace of mind. He bought an automatic and now feels inadequate. Let him try to talk himself into feeling better about it. Maybe he'll succeed, but probably not if he felt bad enough about it to go to the trouble of making a 3.5 minute video to justify it.

I'm sure nobody else really cares. But at least whenever he starts doubting, he can go to Youtube and watch his video to shore up his confidence.

More like I'm trying to get my videos out there. create a discussion, grow my channel,

as to everyone else thanks its definitly a blast to drive still cant miss the manual too much when you can still control when the engine actually shifts!

Gunman 10-22-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike021 (Post 2995033)
I feel like this comment implies you’re defending it :)

I would agree, if had I continued on with, "...because of X, Y, and Z."