Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My Opinion of a 2015 FR-S Auto (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85807)

Ddreder 03-31-2015 10:32 AM

My Opinion of a 2015 FR-S Auto

The results are in.. And there.. Pretty damn good I would say. :D

An old friend of mine just went out and bought a brand new 2015 FR-S auto and didnt even remember that I owned an FR-S of which he had seen before.. Anyways I went and saw it yesterday and he ever so graciously let me test drive it :D and I must say I wasnt disappointed in it at all. The automatic actually felt pretty nice when it was in sport mode or manual mode. I thought that the regular mode was kind of goofy. It would not pick a gear and stick to it which would drive me nuts. But putting it into sport mode fixed everything. It was very nice to drive. I have new car envy now.. :cry:

Other things to note:
I didnt realize that they changed the fo carbon fiber piece to more of a carbon fiber like piece. (it was actually textured)

Also I need a TRD exhaust in my life right now.. It sounded so nice on that car.

Finally lava orange is a pretty damn good color. It is making me not enjoy white anymore lol

Anyways these are just my opinions maaaaan. Please feel free to take them with a grain of salt :thumbsup:

Tcoat 03-31-2015 10:39 AM

I gotta try an auto just to see how nice it is. Haven't heard much bad about the (except from the MT bruuuh crowd of course)
Did you notice the change in handling? I barely could tell a difference when I drove the 15. It is there but you have to really look for it.

Couldn't agree more on the Lava and TRD exhaust points though.

Ddreder 03-31-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2192570)
I gotta try an auto just to see how nice it is. Haven't heard much bad about the (except from the MT bruuuh crowd of course)
Did you notice the change in handling? I barely could tell a difference when I drove the 15. It is there but you have to really look for it.

Couldn't agree more on the Lava and TRD exhaust points though.

I actually did notice that it was a lot less harsh than my 13. I drove it over some pretty uneven surfaces and it was a much better ride. I cant say how that transitioned into high speed cornering or hooning around as it was not my car and it was still within its break in period. But from the few twisty bends I did go on id say it still handles amazingly and the extra comfort was very nice. Everything felt so new and fresh. It really makes me wanna trade up for a 15.. lol

Tcoat 03-31-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddreder (Post 2192578)
I actually did notice that it was a lot less harsh than my 13. I drove it over some pretty uneven surfaces and it was a much better ride. I cant say how that transitioned into high speed cornering or hooning around as it was not my car and it was still within its break in period. But from the few twisty bends I did go on id say it still handles amazingly and the extra comfort was very nice. Everything felt so new and fresh. It really makes me wanna trade up for a 15.. lol

Oh come on man at least wait for the 16 and the AWD turbo!
Or even the 17 with the hover tech.

I could not compare harshness fairly as when I drove it, it was on brand new asphalt so even mine with the lowering springs felt nice and soft.

Rabbit of Caerbonnog 03-31-2015 11:16 AM

Grass is always greener on the other side. As for the AT, it's not bad. I would preferred a DCG/DSG but the current one ain't half bad. I always catch flak for having an AT BRZ, especially at meets. But to each their own!

Rabbit of Caerbonnog 03-31-2015 11:24 AM

A follow up to my DSG/DCG comment. If the twins do get a 2nd Gen and if they offer a DCG/DSG as an option and it is backward compatible, I'll do the swap in a heartbeat. I never liked the idea of an engine/trans swap in my car, but I'll make an exception if they offer it.

Tcoat 03-31-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit of Caerbonnog (Post 2192616)
A follow up to my DSG/DCG comment. If the twins do get a 2nd Gen and if they offer a DCG/DSG as an option and it is backward compatible, I'll do the swap in a heartbeat. I never liked the idea of an engine/trans swap in my car, but I'll make an exception if they offer it.

They would more likely go CVT and just destroy the whole car.
(BTW I hate CVT if you didn't notice.)

Chad11491 03-31-2015 11:29 AM

I thought about the AT, as I have to commute a long ways in crappy traffic. I didn't think it was that bad. It was enjoyable if you just can't/won't have a manual. But with the clutch being so light and the stick being so effortless and short, I got the manual. But I think either way you'd have a car you'd be happy with.

Edit: I agree that if the auto was a dual clutch I probably would have went with that if the shifts are super responsive.

Rabbit of Caerbonnog 03-31-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2192623)
They would more likely go CVT and just destroy the whole car.
(BTW I hate CVT if you didn't notice.)

Don't even get me started on CVTs.

Pkush 03-31-2015 11:33 AM

I drove an auto 13 FRS but only in regular mode. hated it. too bad it's totaled now so I can't ask the buddy to let me drive it and test the sport mode. Now he turned into a big vagina and bought a used audi a4.

campy 03-31-2015 11:33 AM

In my experience, the lag time in the FRS's auto gearbox is similar to that of a Ferrari 360's F1 trans.

Tcoat 03-31-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit of Caerbonnog (Post 2192625)
Don't even get me started on CVTs.

Animated gif of accelerating from 0 to 60 with a CVT:

http://www.charleetho.smugmug.com/ph...89990459-L.jpg

FRSNewb 03-31-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2192583)
Oh come on man at least wait for the 16 and the AWD turbo!
Or even the 17 with the hover tech.

I could not compare harshness fairly as when I drove it, it was on brand new asphalt so even mine with the lowering springs felt nice and soft.

On a serious note, if they were to release a turbo version or one with more power, I'd consider trading up my '13 FR-S

edit: I can't otherwise justify trading up for something that only has minor cosmetic enhancements or changes

Tcoat 03-31-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSNewb (Post 2192647)
On a serious note, if they were to release a turbo version or one with more power, I'd consider trading up my '13 FR-S

Mine is only good for 3 more years and I trade anyway so I will wait and see what is out there in 18. I just need one more 4 year car after this and then it is retirement and something a little more costly (at this point Jag Type F but who knows what will be out there in 7 more years).