Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   HELP! Cold start rattling sound when press throttle. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137761)

kishi23 11-14-2019 06:48 AM

HELP! Cold start rattling sound when press throttle.

HELP! Cold start rattling sound when press even 1% throttle.

I heard a weird noise coming in my engine. sounds like rattling sound whenever i press slightly the gas pedal after 10mins driving sounds still there but not too loud. noticeable when cold start. doesn't matter if on parked or drive. whenever i press the gas pedal like 1% - 5% throttle I heard a rattling sound but not too loud. its like a chain or something.

Rattling sound is very constant even 1000 RPM or 4000 RPM still the same rattling sound. It stops when I am not pressing the gas pedal.

Direct injectors - have been replaced 2 months ago.
Major Service - Done last year. (90k kms)
Now I have 115k kms (Change oil done last week)

I have attached a sound clip which I found it from FRS owner before.
Similar sound.:brokenheart:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5QEXtIxD10U

kev0 11-14-2019 07:37 AM

Sounds like the skid plate underneath the car is loose or flapping against something. Did you go under the car to make sure the plates down there isnt a missing bolt?

DarkPira7e 11-14-2019 07:56 AM

Any modifications to the exhaust on your car?
Have you checked your oil level since doing the oil change?!

Tcoat 11-14-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev0 (Post 3275139)
Sounds like the skid plate underneath the car is loose or flapping against something. Did you go under the car to make sure the plates down there isnt a missing bolt?

This ^
Either a skid plate or heat shield got bent/loose somehow.

kishi23 11-14-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev0 (Post 3275139)

Yes checked all panels and underneath everything is tighten. Cold start doesnt have rattle noise but when I started to press the gas pedal even very very slightly it makes a rattling noise. It doesnt matter if 1% throttle or 30% throttle. Sound is very consistent. No change of sound even i go more higher RPM.

kishi23 11-14-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3275140)
Any modifications to the exhaust on your car?
Have you checked your oil level since doing the oil change?!

Only modification is Invidia N1 Exhaust. I know this rattle alot at back but seems the weird rattle sound coming infront.

Before Oil change sound is there so I think I am getting a low oil level, and its time for a service (115k kms) now I change oil and check levels are good. But still the rattling noise still there.

kishi23 11-14-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3275145)
This ^
Either a skid plate or heat shield got bent/loose somehow.

Checked everything under looks fine and thigh. Rattling sound coming infront, and its the very same sound even I have 1000RPM or 4000RPM.

Tried aswell to turn of AC but still sound is there.

Tcoat 11-14-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishi23 (Post 3275156)
Checked everything under looks fine and thigh. Rattling sound coming infront, and its the very same sound even I have 1000RPM or 4000RPM.

Tried aswell to turn of AC but still sound is there.

Make sure that all the heat shields are away from surfaces. I went through a big puddle once and very slightly bent a heat shield. Made the same noise you are describing under the same circumstances.

kishi23 11-14-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3275157)
Make sure that all the heat shields are away from surfaces. I went through a big puddle once and very slightly bent a heat shield. Made the same noise you are describing under the same circumstances.

Thanks Ill check again tomorrow, Drove the car tonight and seems the rattle get quitter. But still there.. very noticeable on cold starts.

Dzmitry 11-14-2019 02:25 PM

Seems interesting, though, that it is a consistent rattle and equal across the various RPM range. If it is as you describe of course. Makes me question whether it could even be a rattle coming from any bent heat shields or other materials under there. As RPM changes, the vibration should change tone or consistency as well. Maybe not though, as I don't know what else it could possibly be besides something simple like a rattle. When did this start and was it sudden or did it get louder over a period of time to where you were really noticing it.

Will BRZ 11-15-2019 12:09 AM

Open up your hood and have somebody else start your car. Peek in there with a flashlight and see if you are able to see anything. Checking the under panels/splash guards when the rattle is most noticeable (cold starts) might be your best bet. Good luck hope it's nothing serious.

Clutch Dog 11-15-2019 12:33 AM

rattling that isnt heat shields?

pulley? belt? tensioner? do you have one of those stupid grimmspeed tooltray things? are you missing a bolt?

BlueLine 11-15-2019 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch Dog (Post 3275448)
rattling that isnt heat shields?

pulley? belt? tensioner? do you have one of those stupid grimmspeed tooltray things? are you missing a bolt?

Agreed.

Check your a/c compressor or alternator for loose/missing/ or broke hardware. If not that make sure your heat shields, and exhaust hanger by the transmission bell house to insure its tighten down

kishi23 11-15-2019 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzmitry (Post 3275292)
Seems interesting, though, that it is a consistent rattle and equal across the various RPM range. If it is as you describe of course. Makes me question whether it could even be a rattle coming from any bent heat shields or other materials under there. As RPM changes, the vibration should change tone or consistency as well. Maybe not though, as I don't know what else it could possibly be besides something simple like a rattle. When did this start and was it sudden or did it get louder over a period of time to where you were really noticing it.

It get started when suddenly change weather here in UAE.
1 day it was 45C then suddenly next day is winter. 18C and below.
It gets louder tho when cold start. Which for sure a new rattle sound I observe since 4 years driving the 86.