Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Oil Leaking?? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26197)

tonytduc 01-11-2013 08:23 PM

Oil Leaking??

Any of you guys with manual transmission noticed oil leaking from behind the passenger side engine head? A plate that is right above the exhaust over pipe. Cleaned it off 2 days ago and ran my hand under it today and was wet with oil.:cry:

chris240 02-06-2013 11:03 PM

Do you have a burning oil smell or a wisp of smoke coming from that side after the car is warmed up? i have not visually seen any oil but i havent stuck my hand down there either. my car only has 2400 miles on it and there is definitly some oil dripping on something hot like the exhaust manifold. my dealer is not the greatest so i havent brought it in yet. my car is hibernating for the winter right now.

While driving I get a distinct oil burning smell while at a stop coming through the vents. i can also smell it outside of the car. definitely passenger side down low. no visual evidence on the floor.

Please send me a PM if you find out whats going on

spyingwind 02-06-2013 11:28 PM

I've heard something dripping on metal and sizzling after parking, once in a while. I have smelt something when I come to a stop light. Gonna look for any leaks this weekend.

I really don't want to turn this over to the dealership. I just want to drive it more. :burnrubber:

JesseE 02-06-2013 11:36 PM

picture of leak?

tonytduc 02-06-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseE (Post 717719)
picture of leak?

I don't have any picture of it but if you're standing on the right side near the battery and look down you will see a triangle type plate with 3 bolts behind the engine head and just run your hand under it to see if it is wet. You can also see that the exhaust over pipe is right under it.

JesseE 02-06-2013 11:57 PM

Try checking the torque on those bolts, maybe they are a little loose

tonytduc 02-06-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseE (Post 717719)
picture of leak?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseE (Post 717758)
Try checking the torque on those bolts, maybe they are a little loose

I did before 12lbft.

xwd 02-07-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris240 (Post 717656)
Do you have a burning oil smell or a wisp of smoke coming from that side after the car is warmed up? i have not visually seen any oil but i havent stuck my hand down there either. my car only has 2400 miles on it and there is definitly some oil dripping on something hot like the exhaust manifold. my dealer is not the greatest so i havent brought it in yet. my car is hibernating for the winter right now.

While driving I get a distinct oil burning smell while at a stop coming through the vents. i can also smell it outside of the car. definitely passenger side down low. no visual evidence on the floor.

Please send me a PM if you find out whats going on

I haven't done a ton of investigation yet but plan to tomorrow because I am getting something similar. I am at right around 4900 miles now and have noticed it off and on, I don't always get the smell. I check the oil fairly often and it's not losing or burning an appreciable amount, not enough to even register on the dipstick.

zc06_kisstherain 02-07-2013 09:55 AM

hmm...can't be water..then what?? mine has only 300 miles now. cant drive in this salty roads.

jeebus 02-07-2013 01:55 PM

Hmm, I've been wondering about this too. I have almost 10k miles. For the last few K I have noticed a faint oil-burning smell after driving for a while. I generally only notice at stop lights or once I park the car. I haven't been able to find any leaks, and the dipstick has been rock-solid...but this sounds like a possible culprit for sure.

sure74 02-07-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebus (Post 719016)
Hmm, I've been wondering about this too. I have almost 10k miles. For the last few K I have noticed a faint oil-burning smell after driving for a while. I generally only notice at stop lights or once I park the car. I haven't been able to find any leaks, and the dipstick has been rock-solid...but this sounds like a possible culprit for sure.

Exact same thing for me. I'm at 15K+ and probably noticed it 2K earlier. Will check as op suggested and report back.

TOMIMOTO 02-07-2013 03:01 PM

Hopefully this engine doesn't have the typical Subaru headgaskets issue.

xwd 02-07-2013 03:27 PM

I checked in the area of the original poster and had no oil. Subaru hasn't really had head gasket issues except the 2.5L SOHC engines. I have owned 9 of them and only the EJ251 had head gasket issues.

Yruyur 02-07-2013 07:49 PM

Another local frs guy in az had his head gasket leaking onto the exhaust. Had it replaced and something is smelling again. Not sure of any updates. Asked him to post here

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2