Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   screwed by Subaru (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143968)

zippee 01-22-2021 08:49 PM

screwed by Subaru

1 Attachment(s)
I never really trusted Subarus but no one else makes a car like this so I tried it out.
Purchased 2017 model, 58000km from a Subaru dealership.
Within 2 months of driving Engine codes 219 and 119 came up.

ENGINE OUT repairs to replace out of spec valve shims. Not covered by warranty due to age. $1700- service guy misquoted me price so I got an $800 discount.

All intake valves were out of spec. Where in the world does a modern car require a valve job at 4yr old??
Clearly a defective build because none of the exhausts were out of spec.

On top of this the throw out bearing was whinning - covered under warranty
and
Clutch fork squeaking- fork required lube at contact point inside the transmission.

These last two issues actually resolved my shifting issue. So many people have notchy 1st-2nd gear I can't help to think it's due to faulty bearing and fork.

Lastly after the intake shims were done, my car had MORE POWER.... WFT I'd been driving a 2017 model without that extra 5hp???

Wait, I'm not done yet. Before the shim job, the engine was fairly noisy, yeah it's a noisy car, I know but the sound changed after the shim job.
It no longer has this metallic clanging and in general had a lower/throatier note.

Wait, this gets better.
When I traded this crappy BRZ in at a(non subaru) dealership the person responsible for test driving used cars asked me about the transmission after he drove it. ...I said no issues. He said- it has a noise (and he'll be getting warranty for it) (no this wasn't a bargain chip to lower the value of my car since it's warranty).

Anyway, i'm not surprised. And
I'm thoroughly disappointed.

I had a Subaru 20yrs ago, a very unique one- transmission blew after I traded it in around 80000km - a well known issue.

I gave them 2 chances, that's it.
Hopefully this can help out other if you have the above symptoms.

Silviacrazed 01-22-2021 08:53 PM

You just posted about known issues with this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humfrz 01-22-2021 09:18 PM

Well, that's a shame you had a bad experience - :sigh:

Maybe don't buy used cars?

:iono:

wbradley 01-22-2021 09:54 PM

I'd have to agree with humfrz.

Itsthebeast 01-22-2021 10:41 PM

I've had mine 6 years, never had a problem. Some of the folks on here are going 10 years strong with no problems. Sounds like bad luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mazeroni 01-22-2021 10:46 PM

Sounds like the previous owner absolutely f*ing trashed your car. Lot of people on here have 100K+ miles with autocross and track days and only suffer normal wear and tear. Although TOB issues are common for 2013 owners, I don't think later models have these problems unless you are abusing the trans. Overall, it sounds like the problems you describe aren't manufacturing defects but the previous owner having no skill or empathy for the mechanical limits of the car, then they dumped it on a dealer when things went bad, and the dealer later sold it to you.

weederr33 01-22-2021 11:22 PM

Sucks to suck!

Joking aside, that's the side effects buying used. Especially with a car like this. People thrash them and it's "perfectly reliable". Then the next person gets it and it's a lemon.

Ultramaroon 01-22-2021 11:46 PM

https://cdn.gearsofwar.com/gearsforu...b363182cd.jpeg

HKz 01-23-2021 12:50 AM

Isn't screwed by Toyobaru more appropriate? Toyota deserves half the blame for bringing this atrocity into existence!

sunami88 01-23-2021 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippee (Post 3401635)
I never really trusted Subarus but no one else makes a car like this so I tried it out.

Mazda makes a car very, very, much like this. S2000's can still be found out in the wild.

Past that humfrz got it pretty early

soundman98 01-23-2021 10:05 AM

i know a guy that won't touch fords because he's tried 3, and they all rusted out on him.

i know a guy that won't touch honda's because they had a transmission in one car that was made of glass, and they never fessed up to it.

i know a guy that won't touch chevy's because his overheated a number of times until it cracked the block.

go ahead, name any brand. i bet anyone else here can cover the brands i didn't. we're dealing with a coagulation of parts that when assembled, contain and control explosives in a way that makes for movement. we then insist on hurtling them down the highway, over terrible roads, at speed.

things are going to go wrong in that equation.

FR-S2GT86 01-23-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3401743)
i know a guy that won't touch fords because he's tried 3, and they all rusted out on him.

i know a guy that won't touch honda's because they had a transmission in one car that was made of glass, and they never fessed up to it.

i know a guy that won't touch chevy's because his overheated a number of times until it cracked the block.

go ahead, name any brand. i bet anyone else here can cover the brands i didn't. we're dealing with a coagulation of parts that when assembled, contain and control explosives in a way that makes for movement. we then insist on hurtling them down the highway, over terrible roads, at speed.

things are going to go wrong in that equation.

You make it sound so.....technical! :cheers:

soundman98 01-23-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 (Post 3401773)
You make it sound so.....technical! :cheers:

i'm just happy the OP isn't complaining about helicopters!

Ultramaroon 01-23-2021 02:43 PM

https://i.makeagif.com/media/1-31-2016/soRTjV.gif