Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   TRD Wheels on a 2018 BRZ (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126646)

rvoll 04-03-2018 09:49 PM

TRD Wheels on a 2018 BRZ

I'll soon be getting my new BRZ, and really don't like the tires and wheels. I've been looking at TireRack and other sites, and I've decided on the Pilot Super Sport remaining at 17". But of all of the wheels available, I like the GT86 17 Inch Forged Trd Wheel Matte Gray (PTR2018160GR). It will look great on my silver car, is 7.5 inches wide, and has an offset of 43 which will make the wheels a bit more flush -- and it is forged. There are certainly cheaper wheels available, but I'm only going to buy this once.....

I don't want to move to 18" rims because I'm going to use the car for touring and not racing and 17" tires will give me a slightly better ride. Do any of you have these rims? Are they good? Any other recommendations?

Mr.ac 04-03-2018 10:00 PM

There are way better tires than the pos pilot super sport. Also there are better sites than tire rack. Just saying.
Also it's your car you can put what ever you want on it.

SCQTT 04-03-2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvoll (Post 3067671)
I'll soon be getting my new BRZ, and really don't like the tires and wheels. I've been looking at TireRack and other sites, and I've decided on the Pilot Super Sport remaining at 17". But of all of the wheels available, I like the GT86 17 Inch Forged Trd Wheel Matte Gray (PTR2018160GR). It will look great on my silver car, is 7.5 inches wide, and has an offset of 43 which will make the wheels a bit more flush -- and it is forged. There are certainly cheaper wheels available, but I'm only going to buy this once.....

I don't want to move to 18" rims because I'm going to use the car for touring and not racing and 17" tires will give me a slightly better ride. Do any of you have these rims? Are they good? Any other recommendations?

I have them and love them. I know they are expensive, but to me they look OE and not aftermarket and I know they are very strong. I was not a fan of the original wheels and the powdercoated/machined look.

I was probably just going to powdercoat the original wheels gloss black or dark grey, but someone a few hours away bought a new car that had some TRD stuff installed at the dealer and immediately removed them to do a build. Luckily for me he was in a part of the country where these cars are not very popular and I bought the TRD wheels & OE tires and the TRD cat-back at a stupid cheap price.

There are probably cheaper wheels and ones with more exciting specs, but I think they look really nice on the car and like I said look OE which I like rather than the "modified" look.

My car basically looks just like this.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ke2G2I-8B0"]Toyota 86 Takes on Palm Springs Corvette Club Autocross | Toyota - YouTube[/ame]

rvoll 04-03-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3067677)
There are way better tires than the pos pilot super sport. Also there are better sites than tire rack. Just saying.
Also it's your car you can put what ever you want on it.

The top rated tire is the Pilot Sport 4S and Tirerack tested the S-04 Pole Position. I know this is sponsored by TireRack, so I won't ask about better sites, but what tire do you like? And why?

rvoll 04-03-2018 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCQTT (Post 3067684)
I have them and love them. I know they are expensive, but to me they look OE and not aftermarket and I know they are very strong. I was not a fan of the original wheels and the powdercoated/machined look.

I was probably just going to powdercoat the original wheels gloss black or dark grey, but someone a few hours away bought a new car that had some TRD stuff installed at the dealer and immediately removed them to do a build. Luckily for me he was in a part of the country where these cars are not very popular and I bought the TRD wheels & OE tires and the TRD cat-back at a stupid cheap price.

There are probably cheaper wheels and ones with more exciting specs, but I think they look really nice on the car and like I said look OE which I like rather than the "modified" look.

I violently agree with your analysis and opinion. What tires did you get?

Mr.ac 04-04-2018 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvoll (Post 3067716)
The top rated tire is the Pilot Sport 4S and Tirerack tested the S-04 Pole Position. I know this is sponsored by TireRack, so I won't ask about better sites, but what tire do you like? And why?

The pilot super sports are the ones I'm trashing talking. Not the 4S.
A simple comparison on price vs performance proves it. No need for me to hold your hand about it.

That being said if you pay more than $130 for PSS you got taken for a chump. For some reason many people here have been suckered in by the dealer salesman or the tire salesman. Easy way to sucker $100 more per tire to those that don't know.

For $130 other summer tires in that rage have the exact specs if not better than PSS. If you can get them for less go for it.

As for other tires, I'm not a fan boy for any tire. I look for the best price per performance. I highly encourage tire noobs to use the "comparison" tool at any tire site.

SCQTT 04-04-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvoll (Post 3067718)
I violently agree with your analysis and opinion. What tires did you get?

I am still running the stock Michelins that were on the TRD wheels. (My 86 came with Bridgerocks)

I really like Michelin and usually gravitate toward them for everything.

More than likely I will go with Pilot Super Sport in stock sizes.

I have them on my NC Miata and Z3 Coupe and really like them.

churchx 04-04-2018 11:01 AM

SCQTT: why not MPS4S (supposedly PSS successor with a bit improved wear and better wet grip) in stock size then?

nikitopo 04-04-2018 11:23 AM

A TRD wheel on a BRZ car? Blah! Why don't you try the STI wheels? They should be available in US.

rvoll 04-04-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikitopo (Post 3067858)
A TRD wheel on a BRZ car? Blah! Why don't you try the STI wheels? They should be available in US.

1. The STI wheel is black -- and I don't want black.
2. The STI wheel is only 7" wide vs. the TRD at 7.5".
3. The STI wheel has a 48mm offset while the TRD has 43mm for a more flush look.

I try to do my homework before I post..... Occasionally I miss something which is why I asked the question. By the way, the TRD wheel is forged and I don't think the STI is -- but I don't know that for sure.

I am not brand loyal... I just want the best for my purposes.... I've never owned a Subaru before, but I did my analysis and chose the BRZ as the best option for me....

DandoX 04-04-2018 05:37 PM

Sort of unrelated but I like the look of the stock wheels that come on the current gen 86. Does anyone know who makes them or a good place to buy them at a decent price? Everywhere I've checked they are more expensive than rpf1s

SCQTT 04-04-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandoX (Post 3068043)
Sort of unrelated but I like the look of the stock wheels that come on the current gen 86. Does anyone know who makes them or a good place to buy them at a decent price? Everywhere I've checked they are more expensive than rpf1s

There should be a billion take-offs available. OK, maybe not that many, but plentiful.

SCQTT 04-04-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvoll (Post 3068015)
3. The STI wheel has a 48mm offset while the TRD has 43mm for a more flush look.

I try to do my homework before I post..... Occasionally I miss something which is why I asked the question. By the way, the TRD wheel is forged and I don't think the STI is -- but I don't know that for sure.

I am not brand loyal... I just want the best for my purposes.... I've never owned a Subaru before, but I did my analysis and chose the BRZ as the best option for me....

Plus the only thing that says TRD is the center caps. I bet they are actually Subaru sized and with a little research you can probably find a set of Subaru caps that will look nice and fit perfect.

nikitopo 04-04-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvoll (Post 3068015)

The STI wheel is build by Enkei. It is not forged, but there aren't too many differences if you mean on performance. Subaru is running the last 2 years with Enkei non-forged wheels at the Gazoo 86/BRZ races and if there was a significant difference they could swap to BBS forged wheels. I believe Kota Sasaki is still using the latter wheels, but without much success. It looks that other things are more important than the wheels (e.g. tires, suspension settings, etc.)

About the others things on color and size it is fine. Personally, I am brand loyal and I wouldn't do it. It is not needed everyone to be loyal. Besides, these cars were co-developed by Subaru and Toyota :thumbsup: