Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Running U98 on tuned E85 Toyota 86 GTS (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138108)

rahulshokeen94 12-10-2019 10:47 PM

Running U98 on tuned E85 Toyota 86 GTS

Hi mate,

I've recently got a Toyota 86 GTS 2013 it has been running smooth without any issues. It's been more than 2 months and I have done 3000kms on it.

I recently got in touch with the previous owner of this vehicle and he told me that the vehicle was tuned to run on E85 and he left the tank full of E85 when I got the vehicle.

I've been running it on U98 for past 2 months and haven't had any issue. Is this something that I need to worry about ? I don't know if I'm going to have engine issue's in the future.

Can someone tell me if I should switch to E85 from now or just keep running on U98. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've asked Toyota and they said U98 should be fine. Which was just a general answer and the whole conversation lasted for less than 2 minutes.

What should I do? Should I get the tune removed or keep running on U98 or switch to E85?

Cheers!

ElijahF 12-10-2019 11:56 PM

E85 tunes are used to get higher power with E85 fuel than you would with normal gasoline. If you don't care about that, then you should get the tune removed so your engine can run efficiently with normal gas. Where I live in the US, 93 octane is the highest octane gas, and the power increase with E85 is noticable (at least that's what people say). Since you have 98 octane you may already have a power increase, but I don't really have much knowledge in this topic so I wouldn't really know.

But that's just the basics, hope it helped. I don't know much about fuel.

Also, there are obviously more regular gas pumps than E85 pumps, so practicality becomes a factor.

86MLR 12-11-2019 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahulshokeen94 (Post 3282177)
Hi mate,

I've recently got a Toyota 86 GTS 2013 it has been running smooth without any issues. It's been more than 2 months and I have done 3000kms on it.

I recently got in touch with the previous owner of this vehicle and he told me that the vehicle was tuned to run on E85 and he left the tank full of E85 when I got the vehicle.

I've been running it on U98 for past 2 months and haven't had any issue. Is this something that I need to worry about ? I don't know if I'm going to have engine issue's in the future.

Can someone tell me if I should switch to E85 from now or just keep running on U98. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've asked Toyota and they said U98 should be fine. Which was just a general answer and the whole conversation lasted for less than 2 minutes.

What should I do? Should I get the tune removed or keep running on U98 or switch to E85?

Cheers!

What is your tuning solution?

Where was the car initially tuned, contact them.

If that fails take car to tuner for diagnosis.

Worse case senario is your going to lunch your engine.

Rang Toyota? Yeah nah, those muppets wouldn't know their arse from their elbow.

Tcoat 12-11-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahF (Post 3282192)
E85 tunes are used to get higher power with E85 fuel than you would with normal gasoline. If you don't care about that, then you should get the tune removed so your engine can run efficiently with normal gas. Where I live in the US, 93 octane is the highest octane gas, and the power increase with E85 is noticable (at least that's what people say). Since you have 98 octane you may already have a power increase, but I don't really have much knowledge in this topic so I wouldn't really know.

But that's just the basics, hope it helped. I don't know much about fuel.

Also, there are obviously more regular gas pumps than E85 pumps, so practicality becomes a factor.

The Aussies use a different measuring system than we do so his 98 is the same as our 93. This means he has a much higher difference than it would seem when he is running on an E85 tune.
If E85 is easily avaiable and you want the power then swich fuels otherwise it is a very, very good idea to drop the tune and run on the 98RON (93MON)

why? 12-11-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahulshokeen94 (Post 3282177)
Hi mate,

Cheers!

If you've had zero issues there is probably a fuel analyzer system that notes the percent of ethanol and varies the tune for it. You should see if you can find who originally tuned it and talk to them. These are very common things and it wouldn't be surprising if the car had one.

Supposedly the ecu's in our vehicles are able to change the tune over time as well, that is how they cope with massive variations of ethanol blends when people just use a single tune to run ethanol.