Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   TRD Direct Brake Line recall (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149080)

Bergycheese348 03-10-2022 03:56 PM

TRD Direct Brake Line recall

Anyone know what the issue is regarding the recall/failure of the TRD brake lines? On TRD’s Japan page it states “For customer using the former spec, TOYOTA CUSTOMIZING & DEVELOPMENT Co., Ltd. will make voluntary remedies
due to the possible defect found in the stainless braided hose in the Monoblock brake kit.” It then references a link, but unfortunately that link isn’t working at all. This is in reference to the TRD Monoblock Brake kits (MS220-18003, MS220-18004) as well as their ‘Direct Brake Line’ (MS227-18001).

I’m asking because I was thinking about the Monoblock kit (4-2) in the future when I track my car more, and possibly the standard lines for the current setup, but they have discontinued pretty much all of their brake lines and I cannot find a reason for the issue. Thanks!

EndlessAzure 03-11-2022 01:45 AM

Not sure what the issue is, but I'm pretty sure all of the TRD Jp BBK systems are made by Brembo. You could probably use Performance Package brake lines, or stainless brake lines compatible with Brembo systems

gpvecchi 03-11-2022 03:41 PM

The TRD 6 pots are Brembos, the TRD 4 pots are Advics.
Probably the recall regards th issue of most of the braided lines for our cars: when car is jacked up, the hoses slip through the brackets, and when you put the car down, the line will bend, leading to failure.
A ziptie is enough to prevent it.

Bergycheese348 03-12-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3510139)
Probably the recall regards th issue of most of the braided lines for our cars: when car is jacked up, the hoses slip through the brackets, and when you put the car down, the line will bend, leading to failure.

Possibly. The only reason why I ask is because the message shows up for all of TRD’s SS brake line kits, not just the 86. Makes me think it’s something to do manufacturing wise not just a ‘slip’. Since it is TRD Japan, there are no articles I can see stating the reason haha.

Bergycheese348 03-12-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndlessAzure (Post 3510004)
Not sure what the issue is, but I'm pretty sure all of the TRD Jp BBK systems are made by Brembo. You could probably use Performance Package brake lines, or stainless brake lines compatible with Brembo systems

As mentioned by the other user, the 6 pot and 4 pot are two different companies. I can bet they probably are standard SS brake lines, but without it being the same lines, I don’t get the extra 20hp (5 per each TRD logo). Either which way, I can’t find info on them since it is TRD Japan, and I don’t want to be using a defective product if it is the case.

saltywetman 03-19-2022 03:01 PM

4pot/2pot jdm trd lines uses rubber brake lines rather than braided like the 6pot/4pot initially came with so you won't have to worry about this potential failure if you go for the 4pot/2pot kit

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3510139)

how the heck did you manage to find out the manufacturer of the newer 4pot/2pot kit? lol I was looking everywhere for that info last year, even contacted some japanese retailers who tried to find out from toyota japan but they refused to disclose the info lol

gpvecchi 03-20-2022 04:11 AM

I read a lot of japanese websites! In this particular case, it's written in Project Mu catalog.
Strange is they don't use them as factory calipers, in fact Performance Package 4 pots are Brembo, JDM 86 GR's 6 pots ones are Advics. The advantage of these ones is that they fit into 17 inch rims.