Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Most fun slow cars to drive fast: BRZ made the list! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126461)

r_rated 03-27-2018 10:02 AM

Most fun slow cars to drive fast: BRZ made the list!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MjVlQP8hU"]Best Slow Cars To Drive Fast - /ROAD TESTAMENT - YouTube[/ame]

Tristor 03-27-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r_rated (Post 3064278)

I don't really get their argument against it though. The only bad thing they can point out is the tires, and of course everyone knows that and gets rid of the tires for something better as soon as they can. Once you put better tires on it you can really corner in a twin, and if you push it hard enough still slide the back out but at much higher lateral Gs. It's entirely possible to force it into a rotation using lift-off oversteer even with very sticky tires, and it's even more fun at higher Gs.

r_rated 03-27-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristor (Post 3064316)
I don't really get their argument against it though. The only bad thing they can point out is the tires, and of course everyone knows that and gets rid of the tires for something better as soon as they can. Once you put better tires on it you can really corner in a twin, and if you push it hard enough still slide the back out but at much higher lateral Gs. It's entirely possible to force it into a rotation using lift-off oversteer even with very sticky tires, and it's even more fun at higher Gs.

I'd debate that the oem tires are perfect unless you are going to add more power and other stuff.... Nobody gave a damn about an E30 until we were on E46's. Give the twins some time to become the cult classics they are destined for.

Rampage 03-27-2018 02:08 PM

This must be an old video. They are talking about the new Miata coming out and being lighter. The ND has been out since 2016 and actually went on sale in the fall of 2015.

I would add my MR2 Spyder to the list of fun slow cars to drive fast but I have driven a FR-S quite a bit and it certainly fits the bill too. Big power cars may be fun at the track or in a straight line on the road but for my money give me something that I can throw around a set of twisties on a country road and you will get a smile that gets stuck on my face for the whole day.

8RZ 03-27-2018 02:14 PM

Can't view the vid at work but the Miata should be on this list.

Teseo 03-27-2018 04:02 PM

"Slow" and "fast" is relative

hpde_addict 03-27-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rampage (Post 3064443)
for my money give me something that I can throw around a set of twisties on a country road and you will get a smile that gets stuck on my face for the whole day.

Jealous. All I see on the twisties are minivan brake lights.

Rampage 03-27-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpde_addict (Post 3064540)
Jealous. All I see on the twisties are minivan brake lights.

On the roads I typically run you do not see a whole lot of mini vans because all the passengers would be car sick and puking. You do have to watch for tractors, deer and the occasional wayward cow standing in the middle of the road. :eyebulge:

TofuJoe 03-27-2018 07:34 PM

I was all...whoa....Spinelli looks really young, and then saw the video is from 2012...LOL

why? 03-28-2018 05:02 PM

MR2 is the best, was looking for an AW11 before I bought my BRZ, but everything I saw had some kind of rust or major leaking issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rampage (Post 3064443)
This must be an old video. They are talking about the new Miata coming out and being lighter. The ND has been out since 2016 and actually went on sale in the fall of 2015.

I would add my MR2 Spyder to the list of fun slow cars to drive fast but I have driven a FR-S quite a bit and it certainly fits the bill too. Big power cars may be fun at the track or in a straight line on the road but for my money give me something that I can throw around a set of twisties on a country road and you will get a smile that gets stuck on my face for the whole day.

NCtoBRZ 04-19-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by why? (Post 3064957)
MR2 is the best, was looking for an AW11 before I bought my BRZ, but everything I saw had some kind of rust or major leaking issues.

MR2s are great cars. I had a 91 MR2 turbo and a 2001 Spyder. The Spyder definitely felt very light and even accelerated decently due to the low weight. The only ding that I would give the Spyder was that it had virtually no useful storage space... and I’ve owned many small 2 seater cars.

Ganthrithor 04-20-2018 12:52 AM

Can I throw the Lotus Elise in that category? It's not ~*that*~ fast, and doesn't make much power at all, and it's a momentum car. But it's one of the nicest cars to drive on public roads.

roddy 04-20-2018 07:49 AM

I've had 2 of those first gen Accords, a first gen Prelude, and a first gen Civic. The Accords were fun cars, and the Prelude even more so, but the first generation Civic was something special...if you've ever driven one, you'll know what I mean.

86 South Africa 04-20-2018 09:40 AM

I had a 1996 (?) Opel Astra.
It was a 1400, no power or torque to speak of... but I’d had reasonable handling on its skinny tyres.

I learned how to heel-and-toe, do donuts and 180 hand brake turns, slide around corners and all kinds of other fun stuff in that car.
No power, no abs, no airbags. Man that thing was fun. I definitely drove it like I stole it. One little “game” I played was to see if I could change gears just a millisecond before hitting the Rev limiter. :party0030: :burnrubber: :bonk::bonk:

Some cars are certainly better than others....... but you can really have fun in a slow ass car if you learn how to drive it a little harder.