Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   HKS Exhaust Choices - Which one do I go with? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104590)

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 2633879)
Wow. That's Ace money right there...

Was really hoping it would be more on par with Tomei, and was going to order one ASAP. Not now though. Too bad.

Sorry, but keep in mind, the HKS UEL header does include a cat, which is part of the reason the cost is more.

Cole 04-26-2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA (Post 2633891)
Sorry, but keep in mind, the HKS UEL header does include a cat, which is part of the reason the cost is more.

Thanks for the explanation, but it doesn't change the fact that you're asking customers to pay big money for a header with far less performance than many others on the market.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 2633906)
Thanks for the explanation, but it doesn't change the fact that you're asking customers to pay big money for a header with far less performance than many others on the market.

If you are looking for power, go with the equal length header. It's cheaper, doesn't have a cat, and makes more power.

The UEL header is designed for sound.

Ashikabi 04-26-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 2633906)

Hate to agree with Cole but...

Cole 04-26-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA (Post 2633914)
If you are looking for power, go with the equal length header. It's cheaper, doesn't have a cat, and makes more power.

The UEL header is designed for sound.

I think you're misunderstanding this, I love the sound of the header. But why would I pay a BIG premium for that sound, when I can get a close enough sound with a competitors header, while making more power at the same time?

JDL has a catted header that's nearly $500 (edit: It's actually $550 cheaper) cheaper. Are you saying the HKS is worth it simply because of the sound?

I'm pretty bummed about the price. Like I said, I was ready to place an order today.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 2633923)
I think you're misunderstanding this, I love the sound of the header. But why would I pay a BIG premium for that sound, when I can get a close enough sound with a competitors header, while making more power at the same time?

JDL has a catted header that's nearly $500 cheaper. Are you saying the HKS is worth it simply because of the sound?

I'm pretty bummed about the price. Like I said, I was ready to place an order today.

Sorry you feel that way, but I can't just make it cheaper because you've found other headers that are cheaper. The quality and engineering that goes into HKS products is arguably some of the best in the world. With that, comes a price. If it's not in your budget to buy it, then don't. I'm simply making it available to US consumers.

I never thought I'd see more complaints after making another product available than if I never added it.

If you are looking for power, get the equal length header. It is cheaper, makes more power, and does not have a cat. So yes, the UEL header (to some) is worth it because of sound.

PandaSPUR 04-26-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 2633923)

JDL has a catted header that's nearly $500 (edit: It's actually $550 cheaper) cheaper. Are you saying the HKS is worth it simply because of the sound?

Gotta agree here. That price for the USDM UEL header is only $100 cheaper than the JDM version that comes with a tune... I'm hoping the price is much lower once authorized resellers get a hold of it.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR (Post 2633945)
Gotta agree here. That price for the USDM UEL header is only $100 cheaper than the JDM version that comes with a tune... I'm hoping the price is much lower once authorized resellers get a hold of it.

The JDM version that comes with the tune is $3460 retail. Although it does come with a Legamax cat-back as well.

PandaSPUR 04-26-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA (Post 2633963)
The JDM version that comes with the tune is $3460 retail. Although it does come with a Legamax cat-back as well.

http://www.nengun.com/hks/exhaust-ecu-package

$1384.

I guess retailers break up the package and repackage? Not sure whats going on here, but I'm planning to get that Legamax Sports cat-back and all the quotes I've gotten are $300-400 lower than MSRP. Hoping I'll eventually find that UEL header for the same lol.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR (Post 2633968)
http://www.nengun.com/hks/exhaust-ecu-package

$1384.

I guess retailers break up the package and repackage? Not sure whats going on here, but I'm planning to get that Legamax Sports cat-back and all the quotes I've gotten are $300-400 lower than MSRP. Hoping I'll eventually find that UEL header for the same lol.

We don't even have that part number in our system at HKS USA...mainly because it doesn't fit for the USDM version.

And yes, keep in mind, I am quoting retail pricing. That's not to say you can't find these parts cheaper. Most places do sell for less than retail. It's up to the retailer how little margin they make, but as for HKS USA, we can't quote anything other than retail.

PandaSPUR 04-26-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA (Post 2633977)
We don't even have that part number in our system at HKS USA...mainly because it doesn't fit for the USDM version.

And yes, keep in mind, I am quoting retail pricing. That's not to say you can't find these parts cheaper. Most places do sell for less than retail. It's up to the retailer how little margin they make, but as for HKS USA, we can't quote anything other than retail.

Yea what I linked was the JDM version that comes with tune, just to show the price of it vs USDM without tune.

But anyway, thats what I figured. I'll just keep an eye out for this header at authorized resellers. Or maybe poke a few to see if they can get it. @Cole it seems like thats your best bet too if you want that UEL.

And since that UEL is catted, I wont have an issue with emissions as long as I keep the front pipe cat as well? I'm in NYC so no major restrictions like in Cali, but I'd still like to avoid issues during inspection.

Torry@HKSUSA 04-26-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR (Post 2633980)
Yea what I linked was the JDM version that comes with tune, just to show the price of it vs USDM without tune.

But anyway, thats what I figured. I'll just keep an eye out for this header at authorized resellers. Or maybe poke a few to see if they can get it. @Cole it seems like thats your best bet too if you want that UEL.

And since that UEL is catted, I wont have an issue with emissions as long as I keep the front pipe cat as well? I'm in NYC so no major restrictions like in Cali, but I'd still like to avoid issues during inspection.

Yeah, I mean it's not CARB certified, but you don't need that in NY anyway. But I would think that by keeping 2 cats on the car, you should have no problem passing emissions.

Also, the EL header is available with a cat as well, but we don't have it listed on our website. It's the same price as the UEL, so unless somebody is specifically requesting it, we'll probably leave it off our website. We can get it though if somebody really wants it.

USDM TOYOBARU 04-27-2016 11:29 PM

Torry@HKSUSA, do you think HKS will produce stainless steel version of HKS Hi-Power single exhaust in the future?

Thanks!

Torry@HKSUSA 04-28-2016 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USDM TOYOBARU (Post 2636145)
Torry@HKSUSA, do you think HKS will produce stainless steel version of HKS Hi-Power single exhaust in the future?

Thanks!

The HP Single Exhaust is stainless. It's 409 Stainless Steel with a Titanium tip.