Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Right Headlight & Blinker Brighter Than Left (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129414)

Clipping_Path 08-05-2018 08:56 AM

Right Headlight & Blinker Brighter Than Left

2 weeks ago I noticed my right side lights were brighter than my left (OEM bulbs - no LED’s). Though all of the lights worked, my left turn signal then started hyperblinking a couple days later.

I changed both blinker bulbs. Cleaned the sockets. Still hyperblink. I had a new flasher relay on hand – replaced it. No change.

I did have some body work done a month ago where they removed my front bumper; maybe a ground is loose or dirty? I didn’t notice anything wrong directly after receiving the car from the shop.

JeremyR 08-05-2018 04:32 PM

sounds like your low on blinker fluid

humfrz 08-05-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipping_Path (Post 3118064)
2 weeks ago I noticed my right side lights were brighter than my left (OEM bulbs - no LED’s). Though all of the lights worked, my left turn signal then started hyperblinking a couple days later.

I changed both blinker bulbs. Cleaned the sockets. Still hyperblink. I had a new flasher relay on hand – replaced it. No change.

I did have some body work done a month ago where they removed my front bumper; maybe a ground is loose or dirty? I didn’t notice anything wrong directly after receiving the car from the shop.

I suggest you check your car's rear bulbs to make sure they are working properly. Back in the day, a turn signal could hyper blink if either the front or rear bulb was bad. :iono:

humfrz

humfrz 08-05-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyR (Post 3118173)

:slap: If the car were low on blinker fluid, it would throw a code and a flashing light would appear on the dash display. :rolleyes:

humfrz

FRSBRZGT86FAN 08-05-2018 05:00 PM

I'd check the wiring, sounds like the ground somewhere on the less bright side wasn't too good.

Also remember to check the rear lights, that requires removal of the trim panel in the trunk and is super easy to do

Clipping_Path 08-05-2018 06:13 PM

The issue went on for a week with my OEM taillights. I had Valenti's on order; fiinally installed those and...still hyperblinks. :iono:

Where is the grounding wire in the front?

Brink 08-05-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyR (Post 3118173)

I think we all clicked this topic to make this joke.

cjd 08-05-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipping_Path (Post 3118212)
The issue went on for a week with my OEM taillights. I had Valenti's on order; fiinally installed those and...still hyperblinks. :iono:

Where is the grounding wire in the front?

Valentis will hyperblink if you don't have a relay that's designed to work with LEDs...

I'd have to go look at a wiring diagram to answer your question, and I'm not going to go do that for you.

Clipping_Path 08-05-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjd (Post 3118256)
Valentis will hyperblink if you don't have a relay that's designed to work with LEDs..

I don't have LED's. All OEM front bulbs - was hyperblinking with stock bulb taillights and now the new Valenti's.

cjd 08-05-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipping_Path (Post 3118259)
I don't have LED's. All OEM front bulbs - was hyperblinking with stock bulb taillights and now the new Valenti's.

Valenti are LED...

random thought, have you tried swapping a flasher bulb from side to side? I'd be curious about as voltage read at the bulb too.

Clipping_Path 08-06-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjd (Post 3118287)
random thought, have you tried swapping a flasher bulb from side to side? I'd be curious about as voltage read at the bulb too.

Tried that. Is dim on the left side with either new bulb when you switch them.

Last week I hit a pothole and then the blinker worked fine for about 15 minutes. Then started hyperblinking again. Gives creedence that maybe the ground wire needs to be fidgeted with.

Any other contacts that could need cleaned/checked?

FRSBRZGT86FAN 08-06-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipping_Path (Post 3118354)
Tried that. Is dim on the left side with either new bulb when you switch them.

Last week I hit a pothole and then the blinker worked fine for about 15 minutes. Then started hyperblinking again. Gives creedence that maybe the ground wire needs to be fidgeted with.

Any other contacts that could need cleaned/checked?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43087

Thats a wiring diagram, also make sure the relay under the steering wheel is working properly. That's the relay everyone replaces with LED compatible ones all the time (like myself :lol:)

FRSBRZGT86FAN 08-06-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjd (Post 3118287)
Valenti are LED...

Valentis do not require the hyperflash relay, they have resistors built into them....

Clipping_Path 08-07-2018 02:36 PM

Fixed.

The grounding wire had a little bit of white corrosion on it, scraped it off, lights on the left side were equally bright BUT...... still hyperblink!

So I unscrewed the left signal and took one more close look with a brighter flashlight and there was the tiniest specs of the same white corrosion on parts of the socket. Easily scraped it away with my key. Plugged the bulb back in - VOILA. Works again.

The right signal is probably not far behind - going to clean it as well.