Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Absolute Favorite/Worst First Mods (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135532)

Raven86WPB 06-30-2019 06:03 PM

Absolute Favorite/Worst First Mods

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 14 Scion FRS, I am ecstatic considering it is my dream car and couldn't be happier to have found an un-abused, slightly less mileage, good overall example recently.

I am obviously overwhelmed by the amount of crap there is for this car, also, I am extremely worried about buying tons of unnecessary parts when I haven't even figured out the stock limits of the car. I've decided to stick to relatively small jobs for now (routine maintenance), however, I would like to dabble a little more into the performance realm...I've been thinking about buying the OFT tuner for now since it seems like it will be needed at some point down the road no matter what, I'd like to see if this is where people's opinion leans toward considering that's the conclusion I feel logically comes into mind hours after of glaring at every FRS/BRZ/86 Vendor imaginable.

With all of this being said, what were some of the first things in everyone's different experience that really improved or conversely messed up the overall fun factor of the car? And, do you think it's logical to get the tuner ahead of time essentially?

CONFESSION: I bought a Remark Muffler Delete, please don't shame me.

Joveen 06-30-2019 06:07 PM

I just bought a 2016 BRZ and with 19k miles. I'm considering getting a remark muffler delete. They also make midpipe too so can get a full catback system out of it. It's the easy way to build on a budget IMO.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

desertbound1024 06-30-2019 06:14 PM

Tires and oil cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impureclient 06-30-2019 06:15 PM

First thing, I'd spend a good month or two with it as is and read everything you can in here before touching anything.
There isn't much out there that hasn't already been done in here satisfyingly or regretted over.
Learn from others mistakes and successes.
Or if you got money burning a hole in your pocket, just go into the classifieds in here where people are unloading costly
mistakes they made and have a field day.

Yoshoobaroo 06-30-2019 06:20 PM

Max performance summers and an E85 tune.

Raven86WPB 06-30-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3232421)
Max performance summers and an E85 tune.

Yeah, I've been looking into the Indy 500s heard they were good FL tires and rain is a definite concern here, thanks for the input!

Raven86WPB 06-30-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joveen (Post 3232418)
I just bought a 2016 BRZ and with 19k miles. I'm considering getting a remark muffler delete. They also make midpipe too so can get a full catback system out of it. It's the easy way to build on a budget IMO.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'll let you know how it is once I get it in, hoping this week :bow:

Raven86WPB 06-30-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impureclient (Post 3232420)
First thing, I'd spend a good month or two with it as is and read everything you can in here before touching anything.
There isn't much out there that hasn't already been done in here satisfyingly or regretted over.
Learn from others mistakes and successes.
Or if you got money burning a hole in your pocket, just go into the classifieds in here where people are unloading costly
mistakes they made and have a field day.

My brother was telling me to go to the classifieds as well :laughabove:

HaXx 06-30-2019 07:34 PM

Since you already have a catback/muffler delete/whatever, that would be my no.1. After that, wheels and tires are awesome. Taillights are extremely easy to put in too. Alot easier than headlights bc the front bumper needs to come off.

86MLR 06-30-2019 07:34 PM

Tyres and alignment solution for your use.

"Good" coil overs with appropriate spring rates and valving to suit your use, if you want to drop it a bit, 15mm is working well for me.

Full OEM exhaust decat

Some time on the dyno tuning

With the money saved from "not" buying things that give "questionable" performance gains, you can find a "good" tuner to who can actually tune.

But, as stated, research.

Find what the local racers are doing, generally track guys only use parts that actually make a difference.

Everyone on the interwebs will tell you to do what they have done, just like I just did....

Some of "my" truths

Catback is just for noise

UEL headers are a well marketed gimmick that makes fluid dynamics and thermal dynamics cry.

Manufacturers will use marketing to lie to you.

Finally, don't piss money away on a cheap disposable sports car, spend a bit to make it yours, yes, but ensure you stick to your budget.

In 3 to 5 years you will most likely have a different car, even if you think "I'm going to keep this car forever", LOL, YEAH NAH.

PetrolioBenzina 06-30-2019 07:44 PM

OFT should be your first purchase.

DarkPira7e 06-30-2019 07:51 PM

Best mod - Oil catch cans and tires.

Worst mods - Cold air intake and brake booster delete

soundman98 06-30-2019 07:57 PM

first big mod was a shift knob. it made it mine. second big mod was the driver mod. drive it for at least a year daily if possible, with changing nothing. understand the chassis and the platform first, especially on the oem tires, and the positive and negative attributes will make themselves known.

soundman98 06-30-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86MLR (Post 3232433)
UEL headers are a well marketed gimmick that makes fluid dynamics and thermal dynamics cry.

curious if you've got more info on this somewhere? i'd like to read it