Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How's the Catless Life? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134932)

Will BRZ 05-27-2019 04:17 PM

How's the Catless Life?

Good afternoon everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying your memorial day weekend. I'll be looking to do a couple mods to my BRZ this summer. Just want to give it a little bump in power so like everyone ever, I'll start of with headers and a tune. I was looking at catless UEL headers because they are a lot cheaper and have more variety than the catted ones. My question is if the pros to having catless headers outweigh the cons (smell, emissions etc.) I had a catless 335i and the smell has unbearable for me. I know it's a completely different engine so it might be a different experience. I don't mind a little whiff at cold starts or whatever, but I don't want to be suffocating in traffic or stop lights with the windows down. Would a dual resonated front pipe or something like the JDL Ultra Quiet help with this? Or should I just spend the extra $$$ on the catted headers? Also thinking about E85, but I'll figure this out first. Will be adding a lightweight catback and MAYBE an intake if it matters.

Also, if anyone in Houston knows how to get passed emissions please let me know lol. Had the catless 335i for a few months only so I never got to that point. All over the place lol but any extra advice or product recommendation is much appreciated. Thanks for reading

Drifter X 05-27-2019 04:26 PM

I've got a Tomei EXPREME EL catless headers on a 2019, and I don't get a smell. I still have 1 cat on the front pipe so I think that helps will the smell. Also, it threw an O2 sensor code within 5 hours of driving after the headers were installed. Luckily my OFT v2 came in that same day so I flashed the ECU that night. No CEL ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. BRZ 05-27-2019 04:29 PM

I am completely catless. All tomei. And I am on e85. No emissions in Oklahoma. You'll get the smell of corn every once in a while but nothing terrible. If you like corn in a cup, then you'll like the smell of fresh e85 lol

Impureclient 05-27-2019 04:40 PM

Gruppe-S catless here and the smell is not that bad at all. I don't remember it even being that noticeable when I put it on originally.

Trueweltall 05-27-2019 04:42 PM

Catless with Gruppe-S UEL, I have a double resonated FP and the stock midpipe with its resonator with a muffler delete. I don't mind the smell, you won't smell it all the time unless you're behind the car. You're never going to pass emissions without a cat.

MilkyWitness 05-27-2019 07:26 PM

Just curious has anyone gone from UEL catless to EL catless? I have Tomei UEL currently and am thinking about going Tomei EL. Or if anyone has gone from EL to UEL what are some differences you saw with your driving experience in day to day life or with spirited driving?

I am enjoying my Tomei UEL but my oil temps are getting around 237F with just like 20 minutes of spirited driving in the back roads, I do not have them coated or wrapped though. They're pretty loud, sound good though. The torque throughout the low range is very nice, but I have a small amount of smell compared to the stock headers. Im thinking of picking up the EL version of Tomei's headers, I am hoping it keeps my oil temps down since the pips dont run right next to the oil pan and Id love a new crisp sound of EL pulses with a bit more high end hp.

l3ooml3al2al3a 05-27-2019 09:29 PM

Im on HKS catless EL, HKS Dual Resonated FP, HKS Legamax Sport Catback, ECU Tek e85 tuned. With catless system you definitely get the smell, but with e85 the smell is much more bearable.

Somerandom18 05-27-2019 09:50 PM

Have the Tomei UEL and the only time I smell it is when coming to a stop. Even just sitting idling I don't smell it with the windows up. I daily this thing and have never once regretted going catless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lantanafrs2 05-27-2019 10:03 PM

Just fine

new2subaru 05-27-2019 10:08 PM

I'd be more interested in what the people behind me are smelling when 3/4 throttle. If you smell it when stopping what are people smelling when you're full throttle? Maybe follow your own car and check it out?

I was behind a brand new Camaro the other day and holy feck did that thing stink! He didn't have enough HP he had to go full catless :/

Teseo 05-27-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2subaru (Post 3221913)
I'd be more interested in what the people behind me are smelling when 3/4 throttle. If you smell it when stopping what are people smelling when you're full throttle? Maybe follow your own car and check it out?

I was behind a brand new Camaro the other day and holy feck did that thing stink! He didn't have enough HP he had to go full catless :/

Try out a rotary powered car with premix, catless car will smell like perfume after that

evoto86 05-28-2019 03:33 AM

Extra cat in the front pipe helps massively I don't smell a difference. If your going to do E85 and are doing a custom tune do it the same time as headers. Cold starts are bad with catless even with stock front pipe and cat back it's bad.

new2subaru 05-28-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoto86 (Post 3221999)
Extra cat in the front pipe helps massively I don't smell a difference. If your going to do E85 and are doing a custom tune do it the same time as headers. Cold starts are bad with catless even with stock front pipe and cat back it's bad.

I hope that's the case.

@Teseo Ok...It's not the 80's anymore. And, I drove a car with a rotary :)

It's obvious when driving who has removed their cats or not. I don't know how they don't get busted.

gpvecchi 05-28-2019 07:29 AM

Catless life is short...