Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Getting valve work (recall) done. Should I do anything to bottom end (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142575)

GrandSport 09-29-2020 02:40 PM

Getting valve work (recall) done. Should I do anything to bottom end

engine has a lot of track miles on it. Probably 80 hours worth. I'm debating either refreshing (hone, ring, bearings) or just getting a new OEM stock bottom end.

Any other suggestions? Anything to "fix" while I'm in there for a dedicated track car?

dasting 09-29-2020 04:52 PM

What are compression numbers? Are dyno numbers down?

TommyW 09-29-2020 05:41 PM

The dealer may ruin your car. They did mine! It's a no win situation. You get a new bottom end and they do the sealant wrong then you're in for another new motor. My suggestion is just stick with getting the recall signed off which is free then do a new motor with a shop that specializes in the FA20. You put a bunch of money in a new motor and there's a good chance it'll self destruct if the dealer does it. . It will self destruct quicker on the track if it is going to self destruct. You can get an IAG short block Stage 1 and it has upgraded internals and better oiling. Its around 1,600 more than a stock short block

DarkPira7e 09-29-2020 06:16 PM

Consider me a bit afraid of this, but I wouldn't bother doing anything while they're in there. Just pray they can do the single job they've got correctly.

Honestly, plugs and DI seals are the only two things I'd do unprompted.

Clutch, TOB, upgrade clutch fork would be peace of mind things

TommyW 09-29-2020 08:13 PM

Clutch is a safe bet. Of course the dealer didn't tighten my pivot bolt and the fork came off while nursing a knocking rod on the way home

Irace86.2.0 10-01-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandSport (Post 3371501)
engine has a lot of track miles on it. Probably 80 hours worth. I'm debating either refreshing (hone, ring, bearings) or just getting a new OEM stock bottom end.

Any other suggestions? Anything to "fix" while I'm in there for a dedicated track car?

What’s wrong with the engine? What do you think/know needs repairing/replacing and why?

I agree with Tommy. Do the spring recall if you have to and then do a rebuild to freshen/strengthen the motor.

TommyW 10-01-2020 07:35 PM

Just got off the track at Laguna sitting in the RV with a cold one. Ran the new IAG motor built the RIGHT way and I’m here to tell you it was money well spent. Flawless all day, just felt super tight and had total confidence.

GrandSport 10-04-2020 04:23 PM

I’m leaning toward a crate/factory bottom
End and just having them install that instead of my old one. Should I upgrade any bolts or hardware?

Ultramaroon 10-04-2020 07:23 PM

Get reference UOA now if you haven't already. That's just for the bearings Otherwise, don't fuck with it. You aren't in Cali. Especially with such punishing use, your valve springs are thoroughly battle-tested. I should start a no-recall fund. Everybody kicks in ten bucks and if one of us breaks a valve spring, we get a brand new engine.

GrandSport 10-07-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3372841)
Get reference UOA now if you haven't already. That's just for the bearings Otherwise, don't fuck with it. You aren't in Cali. Especially with such punishing use, your valve springs are thoroughly battle-tested. I should start a no-recall fund. Everybody kicks in ten bucks and if one of us breaks a valve spring, we get a brand new engine.

What's a UOA reference?

wheelhaus 10-07-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandSport (Post 3373675)
What's a UOA reference?

Used Oil Analysis. The best information can be gleaned from a series of tests to see what's happening changing over time, but a baseline is always needed to start.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

GrandSport 10-07-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelhaus (Post 3373685)
Used Oil Analysis. The best information can be gleaned from a series of tests to see what's happening changing over time, but a baseline is always needed to start.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Well my oil has one track day on it and I am sending the car off in a few days, so that's probably not going to be super helpful. I can check clearances and stuff, but at this point, given it has so many track hours, it's worth peace of mind to put a new factory rotating assembly in.

I'm not going to do much by way of power- it will stay with bolt ons and E-85 tune, so I think factory rod, cank and pistons are fine. Is there anything I should upgrade (ie: Rod bolts, oil pump, etc) before doing this?