Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   I understand the forum is a for-profit venture, but this is disappointing. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79478)

CSG Mike 12-19-2014 01:34 PM

I understand the forum is a for-profit venture, but this is disappointing.

Good discussion, feedback, and questions are key to longevity of a forum. Is this the precedent that you would like to be set?

I find it petty that a Manufacturer/vendor has to use a technicality to have a post removed, instead of properly addressing the question.

If the administration finds my (typically rather pointed) questions unreasonable or unacceptable, so be it. I'll stop asking them.

Had the same question in the post below been asked by a "normal" user, it would not have been reported. Is it so terrible to ask for quantified evidence of a manufacturer's claims?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear CSG Mike,

You have received a warning at Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB.

Reason:
-------
Violation of Forum Rule(s)

Hello, please review the posted site rules.

"Do not comment on any other vendor/sponsor's company, products, or services. Stick to discussing only your own. This applies forum-wide and not just the classifieds."

Thank you for your compliance.
-------

Original Post:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2055464
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WORKS (Post 2054080)
That's a valid concern we have addressed. The exhaust piping included in our kit is ceramic coated which cuts down on radiant engine bay heat significantly. We use a battery heatshield (included in the kit) and have monitored battery surface temperatures after track sessions and have found them to be a non-issue when using the heatshield. We did see some slight heat effects on the thin plastic battery tray after extended track sessions so we redesigned our heatshield to cover the tray as well. The injector ECU showed no heat effect. We provide thermal wrap in our kit to protect all wiring in the area of the turbo.

Cheers.

We've melted fans with exhaust manifolds that are both Ceramic coated AND wrapped AND heat shielded. Are you sure that's enough?

You guys use thermocouples; what kind of EGTs were you seeing with your tune, and what was the temperature of the surface of your battery, heat shield, and exhaust manifold after a session on track?
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

1Cor10:23 12-19-2014 01:38 PM

Out of curiosity, if you, yourself created a personal (non-vendor) account that people recognized as Mike from CSG, would they taken offense to it? Provided that you don't make reference to CSG products under this account?

Not suggesting what they're doing is correct, it's gray at best - but you can see why such a policy is in place... I do agree with you that it's a measure that doesn't always favour the end consumer.

CSG Mike 12-19-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 (Post 2062501)
Out of curiosity, if you created a personal (non-vendor) account, would they taken offense to it?

Not suggesting what they're doing is correct, it's gray at best - but you can see why such a policy is in place... I do agree with you that it's a measure that doesn't always favour the end consumer.

Secondary accounts are not allowed. The only reason I post from a vendor account is because my original account kept getting reported in the first place for asking pointed questions, back in early 2012. I am not a CSG employee, but they extended their vendor account to me, since I ask the "no bullshit" questions, and provide straight answers without a marketing spin.

1Cor10:23 12-19-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 2062507)
Secondary accounts are not allowed. The only reason I post from a vendor account is because my original account kept getting reported in the first place for asking pointed questions, back in early 2012.

That changes things... So it completely silences some of the most knowledgeable people in our community. Not cool.

CSG Mike 12-19-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 (Post 2062510)
That changes things... So it completely silences some of the most knowledgeable people in our community. Not cool.

As the forum itself is a private venture, we do not have freedom of speech here. The only rights we have are the ones granted by the owner(s) of the forum.

DAEMANO 12-19-2014 01:52 PM

Not taking any sides, but here's my opinion:

The only part of your post Mike that could be seen as questionable was the "We've melted fans with exhaust manifolds that are both Ceramic coated AND wrapped AND heat shielded. Are you sure that's enough?" preface. Chances are they've done their R&D and that could be seen as quasi-FUD, etc. Without that part, the following temperature questions would come off as a simple non-editorialized queries that could have hopefully returned valuable information. Those questions were the good pointed inquiries that you could have followed up with temps you've experienced.

CSG Mike 12-19-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAEMANO (Post 2062519)
Not taking any sides, but here's my opinion:

The only part of your post Mike that could be seen as questionable was the "We've melted fans with exhaust manifolds that are both Ceramic coated AND wrapped AND heat shielded. Are you sure that's enough?" preface. Chances are they've done their R&D and that could be seen as quasi-FUD, etc. Without that part, the following temperature questions would come off as a simple non-editorialized queries that could have hopefully returned valuable information. Those questions were the good pointed inquiries that you could have followed up with temps you've experienced.

Going strictly by the book, ANY post would violate the rules.

I actually was planning on following up with pictures of the heat shielding/wrap/coating, as well as the melted fan, but got distracted (I'm hardcore ADD).

But, as a quick followup, EGT is normally ~1250-1400 for quick street pulls, with up to 1520 on track. This is the result on a 40F day.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...89&oe=5544F413

asdf 12-19-2014 02:01 PM

disclaimer: did not read thread where post in question is located.

Looks like a relevant question posed with first hand experience presented in open conversation that would benefit the community overall... It doesn't even look like there was any specific branded product that was used as the comparison?

BRZChix 12-19-2014 02:50 PM

@RehabJeff86 @mkivsoopra @sw20kosh @WoOosOn

lets just keep good knowledge to ourselves since sharing is not very appreciated by moderator :) open private exclusive forum instead?
@CSG Mike :shrug: knowledge is power... lack of knowledge ~ lack if power and too bad if this forum loses u, its their loss and those moderators should have known better

stugray 12-19-2014 02:59 PM

I didnt see anything wrong with your post.

So based on how often I call BS when I read it, I would have been banned long ago if I was ANY kind of vendor....

In fact I have been accused of starting shit just by asking valid questions with no other commentary.

coyote 12-19-2014 03:02 PM

Vendor or general user, you can't ask pointed questions of vendors who have paid their protection money.

So many dodgy vendors selling even more dodgy products on this forum .. all protected from any scrutiny.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

themajesticone 12-19-2014 04:42 PM

bureaucracy life.

swarb 12-19-2014 05:13 PM

Sorry to say but you pretty much have to make another account an not be csg mike, or stay out of their threads. They paid their protection money. I asked questions, as many others, and they are just ignored. When someone like you with a good amount of respect(and track experience) on this forum asks a question of another,, and they don't have a response, they take offense.
There is a reason why they stopped the dyno test at 7k, being vague and making excuses are just that. If you ever seen the inside of their exhaust(i have at 86fest) you would know the truth. I wonder what is under the fancy black coating. I know who I will/won't be buying from.

Dave-ROR 12-19-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyote (Post 2062610)
Vendor or general user, you can't ask pointed questions of vendors who have paid their protection money.

So many dodgy vendors selling even more dodgy products on this forum .. all protected from any scrutiny.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I guess you haven't been in the feedback forum?